Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

preventing Multi-Cast flooding

This thread has been viewed 38 times
  • 1.  preventing Multi-Cast flooding

Posted May 06, 2022 03:32 PM
    I have multi-cast flooding on our network several times a day which is causing issues. 

For example our access points are loosing heartbeat because the multi-cast traffic is reaching upwards of 90%. 

Here is a configuration from two vlans on an hp 5412zl2 router. 

vlan 2
    name "LAN"
    untagged A1-A24,B4-B24,C1-C24,D1-D24,E1-E24,F1-F24,H1-H24,I1-I24,J1-J24,K1-K24,L1-L24
    ip helper-address 10.1.0.80
    ip address 10.2.0.1 255.255.254.0
    ip igmp
    ip pim-sparse
    ip-addr any
    exit

vlan 3
    name "Wireless"
    tagged A1-A24,B4-B24,C1-C24,D1-D24,E1-E24,F1-F24,H1-H24,I1-I24,J1-J24,K1-K24,L1-L24
    ip helper-address 10.1.0.80
    ip address 10.3.0.1 255.255.254.0
    ip igmp
    ip pim-sparse
    ip-addr any
    exit

I have been researching this but wanted to ask for other opinions on the matter.

We have 5412zl2, 5406, 2920, 2530, and some 2510's .

Our staff require casting from LAN to wireless and vice versa. They also require a multicast media box they can use VLC player to display on devices throughout the network.

Can someone point me in the right direction?  

------------------------------
    Aaron Piazza

• 2.  RE: preventing Multi-Cast flooding

Posted May 06, 2022 03:50 PM
    Sounds like a job for IGMP.  Unfortunately, I can't say much more than that since I'm in the same boat.  Best of luck,

--Raf

Rafael Hinojosa

• 3.  RE: preventing Multi-Cast flooding

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2022 04:05 PM
    Are you dropping broadcasts on all of your WLANs?  Also can you separate the access point management vlan from the user vlans?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 4.  RE: preventing Multi-Cast flooding

Posted May 06, 2022 04:28 PM
    I have tried to place 2 of the access points on their own management vlan and they still lose heartbeats.
    We have SNMP sensors set up on uplinks between our switches so we can monitor the traffic.
    When we see a sudden rise in multi-cast on the snmp traffic it matches the switch logs that indicate excessive multicast on the uplink and 
    dropped packets on all interfaces that are running under 1Gbps speed. 
    These times also match the times our access points have loss of heart beat to the controller.
    We have fault finder set to the default (medium)

Aaron Piazza

• 5.  RE: preventing Multi-Cast flooding

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2022 05:45 PM
    Why is your router allowing multicast on those VLANs/subnets?  By default routers do not forward broadcast/multicast traffic.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 6.  RE: preventing Multi-Cast flooding

Posted May 06, 2022 05:54 PM
    Because the staff require using casting form the Wired network to the wireless network and back.
    They also require watching a show that streams from wired network to both wired or wireless networks.
    The multi caster is an aver media box that streams a UDP source address.

Aaron Piazza

• 7.  RE: preventing Multi-Cast flooding

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2022 07:11 PM
    Allright, but the user VLAN does not have to be the management VLAN for the access point.  You can put users and the multicast on a different VLAN.

• 8.  RE: preventing Multi-Cast flooding

Posted May 07, 2022 07:47 AM
    The Access points are on  VLAN 2.

Wireless users are on VLAN 3.

I have moved 2 of the access points over to a new VLAN that only has them on it, however that does not help.

The switches never lose ping but the Access Points do. 

Both the switches and the access points are on VLAN 2 which is the default VLAN.

Aaron Piazza

• 9.  RE: preventing Multi-Cast flooding

Posted May 09, 2022 10:02 AM
    Question:

Simple network consists of 1 Router and 1 Switch.  

When configuring ip igmp on the Router you set:
    ip igmp
    pim-dense
    ip addr any

Is it required to also set ip igmp on each VLAN you wish to use multicast on the swtich as well?

Aaron Piazza