Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Lower bandwidth than configured - two 325 APs, 7010 Switch

This thread has been viewed 54 times
  • 1.  Lower bandwidth than configured - two 325 APs, 7010 Switch

Posted Sep 28, 2021 12:25 PM
    Hello everybody,

I am relatively new to network configuration as well as to Aruba products, but after days of searching for the solution still I cannot find out where the problem of my network supposed to be. I wondered if any of you could help me out of my situation.

I hooked up a network using a 7010 switch and two 325 APs (although they are Instant APs I only use them as simple Access Points). Via both APs I can access the two SSID-s I configured, using 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies at the same time. However although I had set the 5GHz bandwidth to 80MHz in the configuration, in practice I only got just 20MHz every time. As far as I looked at it I could not find any kind of restrictions in terms of bandwidth. With the network I get about 100 Mbps down compared to the previous router that had around 300 Mbps download speeds.

For any kind of suggestion I would be really thankful for. I apologize for any mistakes in grammar, English is not my native language. I hope I have not let out any important information, if so please let me know.

• 2.  RE: Lower bandwidth than configured - two 325 APs, 7010 Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2021 05:38 PM
    What client are you testing with?  How is the access point physically mounted?  Can you try with only a single AP at a time?  Did you confirm that the client was on the 5ghz band?

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Lower bandwidth than configured - two 325 APs, 7010 Switch

Posted Sep 29, 2021 04:55 AM

Thank you for the quick response.

I have tried various clients to test with that are capable to handle higher bandwidth connections. The two Access Points are mounted to the wall by their original accessories. I have tried one AP at a time, but the results showed no difference. By checking on the dashboard I can confirm that the 5GHz  was being used during my tests.

It could be important to mention that right now the two APs use 802.11af power injectors instead of 802.11at, which are in some ways limit the capabilities of the equipment. These are not permanent solutions, the new injectors are on their way to us. However for testing purposes I have tried out one AP with an 802.11at injector we got laying around, but it made no difference to the network speed.

By the way the switch runs the 6.5.4.17 version of ArubaOS.

• 4.  RE: Lower bandwidth than configured - two 325 APs, 7010 Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 29, 2021 11:21 AM
    The 7010 you mention is actually a controller, and it is capable of providing PoE+ as well so you should not need power injectors if you plug the APs direct in one of the first 12 (I believe) ports. Now you mention 802.3af power injector, many of them are 100Mbps only, so it could be the power injector limiting the connection speed to 100Mbps, which is also what you see.

You could try to plug in the APs directly in the controllers (use the lowest port numbers); if they don't get power, you can in this 7010 configuration enable PoE on those switch ports.

Although you have the 7010 controller, you are running the IAP-325s in Instant mode?
    Or are the APs configured as campus AP to the 7010 controller?

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Lower bandwidth than configured - two 325 APs, 7010 Switch

Posted Oct 01, 2021 06:11 AM
    Hello Herman,

You're right, there is the option to use 802.3af PoE directly from the switch, I did not realise that.
    The two APs are configured as a campus AP.

• 6.  RE: Lower bandwidth than configured - two 325 APs, 7010 Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2021 10:14 AM
    The 7010 even provides PoE+ / 802.3at, so that is even better as you can operate the AP325 at full performance.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 7.  RE: Lower bandwidth than configured - two 325 APs, 7010 Switch

Posted Oct 02, 2021 06:09 AM

Weirdly enough I cannot find a way to turn on PoE+, there is only an option for 802.11af. In it's user manual it is saying that it's capable to do so, but to how is not being written there.

I have found the 802.11af option under Configuration->Network - Ports, where I can turn this off or on to every port individually, but no option for 802.11at.

I will try something next week, maybe I will be able to make it work in practise somehow.

• 8.  RE: Lower bandwidth than configured - two 325 APs, 7010 Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 02, 2021 08:33 AM
    The hardware mostly determines the standard 802.3af (POE) or 802.3at (POE+). If you enable the POE feature on a port of the 7010, it will do POE+ because the hardware is PoE+ capable. I don't know if you really can control it, as it just works. Think of PoE (Power over Ethernet) as a feature to provide power to the connected devices, and 802.3af/802.3at/802.3bt are the standards to do deliver that feature. All are PoE, and I'm quite sure that the WebUI mentions POE, not 802.3af. The PoE in the 7010 is following the 802.3at (30W) standard.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 9.  RE: Lower bandwidth than configured - two 325 APs, 7010 Switch

Posted Oct 14, 2021 10:20 AM

Almost two weeks has passed, sorry for my late response I got a lot of thing to deal with lately that is why I did not respond until now.

The good news is the PoE is finally up and running! Based on the solid green light the APs have, they are getting the proper 802.11at they needed. At least I got that one checked from the list.
    The bad news is that it still has the relatively slow performance, about 100 down and up. So it looks like the limitation was not because of the lack of power from the previous PoE injector.

• 10.  RE: Lower bandwidth than configured - two 325 APs, 7010 Switch

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2021 09:11 AM
    When I hear 'about 100 down and up', I would check all network interfaces in the path between client and your network and check that none are set/negotiated to 100Mbps. Also, check the link speed (can be shown in the client) versus the actual speed you get on the network. If you see for example 450Mbps connected, don't be surprised if you can get 'only' 200-250 Mbps of actual throughput, which has to do with overhead and industry marketing typically ignoring that. If you are connected on 450Mbps, 100 Mbps of throughput is definitely below what can be expected.

Your Aruba partner or Aruba support can assist in finding if your achieved performance is expected and how to improve.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 11.  RE: Lower bandwidth than configured - two 325 APs, 7010 Switch

Posted Jan 23, 2023 03:11 AM

Hi Herman

Thank you for your suggestions in regard to my problem. Recently I found out that in the "AP Configuration" under "Adaptive Radio Management" "80MHz support" was not enabled, and without that it does not matter if I set the channel bandwidth to 80MHz, it will not go up to that high.
    With the current configuration the network brings the expected performance.