Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Why is airwave showing vastly fewer clients than MM?

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Why is airwave showing vastly fewer clients than MM?

Posted Apr 22, 2022 02:39 PM
    When I look at APs in airwave, I only see a few of the clients that MobilityMaster shows me. While I understand that there are some lags in airwave updating, that doesn't really explain most of it.

To focus on one of those APs, ZE63, I've been watching it for a couple of weeks as I recently moved it about 5 feet and I think it has helped students get better connections. I can see 5-15 clients constantly in mobility master, but I don't think airwave has seen a client in all of that time.

Clearly I'm missing something here -- is this just how airwave works? (or doesn't work!)

------------------------------
    Cathy Fasano

• 2.  RE: Why is airwave showing vastly fewer clients than MM?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2022 07:40 PM
    Make sure that AMP Setup> General> Additional Amp services> Prefer AMON is set to NO

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 3.  RE: Why is airwave showing vastly fewer clients than MM?

Posted Apr 26, 2022 05:22 AM
    Hi,

Not sure what version of AMP you have, but we had an issue with the 8.2.12.1 that showed as a mismatch in Clients/Usage, and the reason was that RabbitMQ service (System>Performance>RabbitMQ Statistics) stopped.

[Nebojsa Markovic]
    [UK]

• 4.  RE: Why is airwave showing vastly fewer clients than MM?

Posted Apr 26, 2022 07:13 PM
    "Prefer AMON vs SNMP Polling:" is definitely set to "No"
    I have realized that all of my Clients and Usage graphs in Airwave just stop on the afternoon of 15 April (which was Easter break so very few clients were around.) So something has crashed!

RabbitMQ sounds like a likely culprit? We are running 8.2.6.1 (even older than yours!) and our RabbitMQ graphs look pretty funky, and I think it lines up with April 15th, too.

What do I need to restart? Should I just reboot the airwave host?

Cathy Fasano

• 5.  RE: Why is airwave showing vastly fewer clients than MM?

Posted Apr 27, 2022 03:30 AM
    Your screenshots are showing different results from what we had (our RabbitMQ bottomed, and Clients/Usage graphs flattened at roughly 1/2 of normal readings). You can restart AMP/host, but I have a feeling that only TAC call will help here (and expect to be told to upgrade as 8.2.6.1 is quite old).

[Nebojsa Markovic]
    [UK]

• 6.  RE: Why is airwave showing vastly fewer clients than MM?

Posted May 03, 2022 05:33 PM
      |   view attached
    I realized that airwave had mostly crashed back on April 15. 

Restarted early Sunday morning, and everything looks much more reasonable, except for this one AP that looked really strange before still is strange. This is in a dorm hallway and the guys down there are social butterflies, and according to MM there are always 10-15-20 clients attached. Since restarting, airwave is occasionally showing ONE client. (see the attached airwave graph). 

Showing no clients is more understandable than showing an occasional single random client!

Frustrating as well is that the one time I've caught airwave showing a client in the last 3 days -- that was a student's macbook during a time that mobility master was showing that client on the other side of campus.

Is there anything I can do to figure out the problem?

Cathy Fasano