Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

This thread has been viewed 37 times
  • 1.  Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

Posted Aug 10, 2018 04:11 PM

Hello

We have got a client we has a lot of Mac devices we have a lot of report of o mac users disconnecting from wifi randomly... we have seen that those users got the lastest update from apple i mean OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, macOS Sierra 10.12.6, and macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

We still yet dont see any report from other mac os.  We can see on the airwave that there are a lot of students with other older mac os that are not reporting about this.

Has anyone encounter this issue with the lastest firmware or something similar?

The client didnt have problems on june when student left from their vacations

The only work we did was putting another controller in HA but the RF  or SSIDs configuration did not change.

Cheers

Carlos

• 2.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

Posted Aug 10, 2018 04:19 PM

we also updated to 6.5.4.7 code

• 3.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 10, 2018 04:41 PM

How long has this problem been happening?  Were there any changes before they reported issues?

• 4.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

Posted Aug 10, 2018 04:49 PM

Hello Collin

This have been happening after the studends came again from vacations

on their vacations i did the fallowing

We had one master controller and 2 locals

one of them was a 7210

We convert that to a master

the client bough a new 7210 and we put that in master, master stand by with vrrp

Then we upgraded from 6.4.4.14 to 6.5.4.7

On clearpass we got single sign on with office 365 that was already working  and they had one clearpass  on 6.6

We upgraded this to clearpass 6.7 and then to 6.7.3 and added the other clearpass as subcriber added a vritual ip 

Thats about it.

I dont think its a problem int he clearpass as i dont see any error on the access tracker(the users that logged with office 365 use mac caching)

It seems its a problem on the controller and it only happens with MACs.. we have no reports from windows users.

Cheers

Carlos

• 5.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

MVP
    Posted Aug 10, 2018 10:43 PM

If this is something you can replicate, you should try capturing 802.11 frames using a Macbook, or equivalent device that can set it's wireless adapter in monitor mode, on the same channel and see what is being sent prior to the disconnect.

You can also check the "show ap client trail-info" command in the controller servicing the APs and see if anything stands out or lines up with reported drops. 

I've had users report dropped wifi (not on Macbooks) and a majority of the alerts showed "STA has left and disconnected", which means the end device sent a disassociation frame to the AP. That becomes a device issue and not a wifi issue.

• 6.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

Posted Oct 01, 2019 09:18 AM

I was facing  the same issue while visiting source guide to get my credit card. Contact with mac support or help. It might help you.

• 7.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2019 09:36 AM

@saraparker wrote:

This is the same issue which is happening with me, Is there any solution for this problem. 

@saraparker, please open your own thread.  There are many reasons for MACs randomly disconnecting from wifi.  We need to specifics for your environment to even understand what could be going on.

• 8.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

Posted Jul 26, 2022 10:48 PM
    20 user using PS5 , i have clearpass clear the MAC address after he connect to the wifi , The PS5 Joystick going offline, wifi also not working this problem was facing 3 users only . Then wifi also disconnecting issues is there

• 9.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

Posted Oct 19, 2018 01:14 PM

We are also seeing random disconnects for Macbooks it appears to be happening as we attempt to band steer them. Was the problem ever identified, and was a solution ever offered? 

• 10.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

Posted Sep 26, 2019 04:18 AM

20 of my users all dropped this morning - all using MacBooks

What is the best way to troubleshoot quickly is it to debug a user or just use the Wireless Diagnostic tool built into Mac OS?

• 11.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

Posted Sep 26, 2019 04:24 AM

Not sure how accurate this is but - the user is saying whenever it happens the SSID for the 802.1x profile disappears but they can still see the other SSID which is for the Guest network - connecting to the Guest network then shows the 802.1x SSID again - but this is not verified could just be the user reporting back incorrect information

• 12.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

MVP
    Posted Sep 26, 2019 06:10 AM
    If it were me, I would try to setup an over the air pcap for the location
    of the MacBooks and see if you can capture the drop off period.

Curious question, but we're they roaming (mobile) or stationary when this
    occured? It sounds like the devices did a probe request and the AP did not
    respond with the 802.1X network possibly. Strange that it would happen to
    all at the same time. We're they all on the same AP?

Another question, have you checked the interference or noise? Possibly
    noise could be causing lost frames from time to time and that lost frame
    might be a probe response.

I think PCAP would be the best place to start if you can catch it happen.
    Otherwise you can also monitor MGMT frames from the controller based on AP,
    but I'd have to look up command, can't recall at the moment.

• 13.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

Posted Sep 26, 2019 10:17 AM
    They were stationary at the time it is now happening randomly to different users - they are only reporting the network using 802.1x auth but we are seeing succesful requests on the NPS server and they get connected fine it just drops internet connectivity at random moments. 

• 14.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2019 01:25 PM

1.  You should work with TAC, your SE  or a VAR to help you with your configuration, because there is so much go through here; probably too much for a forum.

2.  If your APs are running 80mhz channels, removing all of the 80mhz channels does not make them drop down to 40mhz; you need to uncheck the “80mhz” channel parameter in the ARM profile if this network is running without an MM or change the max channel width parameter in the radio profile if the network is running with an MM.  You need to verify this by typing “show Ap active” and making sure none of your APs have an “E” after the channel

3.  Those logs look fine, except for some serious interference on the 2.4ghz band.  See if they are still showing up after the changes.  Quite frankly, you should have your 5ghz band range 12 dB over the 2.4ghz so that your Mac devices never choose 2.4ghz channels or only advertise the the 5ghz band on your user Virtual AP.

4.  If you made changes, take time to observe before you make any additional changes

5.  Again, please get some help from a professional so that they can look at your entire configuration in context.

• 15.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

Posted Sep 26, 2019 05:53 PM
    Security wise all you can see are the private IPs which could be used in any network topology .

With regard to the setup yes i am running an MM and have changed the channel width to 40mhz.

I have also made sure this is the case by using the show ap active command and there are no longer any e symbols.

Could you clarify what you mean from the 12db above the 2.4ghz band ?

Are the EIRP rates I'm using correct 6 min 12 max for the 2.4 and 12 min 18 max for the 5ghz?

I am working with support however I have actually found over the years these forums are more helpful as it is users who have experienced similar problems all helping at the same time :)

Get Outlook for Android

• 16.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2019 10:43 PM

@scottm wrote:
    Security wise all you can see are the private IPs which could be used in any network topology .

What does the above mean?

80mhz channels should never be running with density.  That could be your main issue, really.

• 17.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

Posted Sep 27, 2019 05:59 AM

Hi Colin,

I am not running 80mhz channels on that site - you can confirm for me but I believe this is done correclty using our MM see screenshot:

Screenshot at Sep 27 10-56-44.pngScreenshot at Sep 27 10-58-41.png

• 18.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 01, 2019 09:34 AM

@scottm wrote:

Hi Colin,

I am not running 80mhz channels on that site - you can confirm for me but I believe this is done correclty using our MM see screenshot:

Screenshot at Sep 27 10-56-44.pngScreenshot at Sep 27 10-58-41.png

That is correct.  It should switch to 40mhz channels the next time Airmatch runs.

• 19.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2019 10:04 AM

@scottm wrote:

Not sure how accurate this is but - the user is saying whenever it happens the SSID for the 802.1x profile disappears but they can still see the other SSID which is for the Guest network - connecting to the Guest network then shows the 802.1x SSID again - but this is not verified could just be the user reporting back incorrect information

- Type “show log system all” on the controller to see if there is a system-level event like access points rebooting or losing connectivity.

- Type “show log wireless all” on the controller to see if there was a WiFi event that correlated with those issues

- Type “show log security all” to see if there were any issues with radius timeouts or any other event that would correlate with those issues

- Make sure everything is working from an RF perspective - Make sure broadcast filtering is on on all Virtual APs.  If you are using 80 or 40 MHz channels, try dropping it to 20 MHz channels

- Type “show Ap arm state” to make sure you do not have too much density (too much access points seeing each other means you might have to drop the transmit power to reduce collisions and RF utilization.

• 20.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

Posted Oct 20, 2022 10:27 AM
    Hey Scott, its like I was reading my own words, when I saw your post. Ditto and I mean the exact same issue with us. Except that we are on Meraki. Any chance I could connect with you to follow up more on this? Thanks.

• 21.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

Posted Oct 02, 2019 02:44 AM

Just a quick question - do you have "Enforce DHCP" disabled?

I once enabled this option and my Mac and Linux users started to lose connectivity when they roamed to an AP on a different node. It is obvious when you think of it, but it took me a couple of days before I realized what was happening.

• 22.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

Posted Jul 27, 2022 02:51 AM
    Hi,

Can you try to disable "PRIVATE MAC ADDRESS" option on macs. On 802.1x networks this option causes problems with the aruba systems.

• 23.  RE: Problem with MAC randomly disconnecting from WIFI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 20, 2022 11:18 AM
    That is not necessarily true.  MACs keep the same mac address for an SSID as long as the user doesn't forget the SSID.  Also this thread was started in 2018.  It is very old.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card
    ------------------------------