Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

This thread has been viewed 150 times
  • 1.  Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

Posted Jul 20, 2018 03:11 PM

How do i do they above.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 20, 2018 05:31 PM
    Hi

Put those AP’s in a separate AP-group and disable the 2.4 radio for that AP-group. Be careful not to change the default group

• 3.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 24, 2018 05:25 PM

@jaturley wrote:

How do i do they above.

Thanks

Using two different AP groups is the easiest way to accomplish this. Once AP group would have the 2.4GHz radio disabled, and the other group would have it enabled.

You could possibly use airmatch freeze to set specific radios to disabled, but the different AP groups are typically easier to troubleshoot.

• 4.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

Posted Jan 04, 2019 05:58 AM

Hello,

I have the same problem and I cant manage to find where to disable the 2.4ghz for the AP group.

I am running 8.2.1.0

• 5.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

Posted Mar 05, 2019 11:58 AM

How to Disable 2.4GHz in AOS 8.

Select the AP Group that you want to turn off 2.4GHZ. Then Select  Radio Tab. Change the 2.4GHz radio to Mode :am-monitor or Spectrum-mode if you have the licenses. 

• 6.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 05, 2019 03:47 PM

Hi

If you set the radio to AM or SM, the radio isn't off. For example with AM the radio can be on to perform the AM functions. You also might need licenses to do so.

Better step AFAIK:

1. Activate the advanced profiles under the 'GUI' user

2. Go to the AP group

3. Select the profiles on the right

4. Select RF Management

5. Select 2.4GHz Radio

6. Unselect Radio enable (be carefull that it isn't the default radio profile)

7. Submit

8. Pending Changes.

• 7.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

Posted Mar 06, 2019 10:05 AM

• 8.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2019 10:57 AM

jamiis@ wrote:

If you start using AM functions on 2.4GHz, the AM will use 2.4 GHz channels!

Why is the customer not using 2.4GHz? If they don't use it, what is the point of setting an AP to AM on 2.4GHz?

• 9.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

Posted Mar 06, 2019 11:04 AM

Enough said... No need to get upset. 

• 10.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2019 11:12 AM
    I am not upset.

As this forum is used by many as source of information. I find it important to be correct in the best way to reach the goal.

But. Enough said.

• 11.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

MVP
    Posted Apr 20, 2021 04:20 AM
    Sorry for dragging an old topic up, is it possible to disable 2.4Ghz just for specific SSIDs? ie. all our users have 5Ghz capable devices and we don't want them on 2.4Ghz but for iot we would still want 2.4Ghz.

/Edit - my current direction of thought is to remove transmit rates in the system profile of the SSID but I'm not really sure that this is the correct path.

------------------------------
    Keeper of the Keys

• 12.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

Posted May 24, 2022 12:05 PM
    Hi Sorry to bother everyone here. Is it possible to turn-off 2.4G radio in 1 or set of APs only that is still part of the AP group? Much like the AP Override config on the other WLAN AP brands?

Thanks.

Richie Bandales

• 13.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 24, 2022 04:29 PM
    You would do this on the commandline, using ap-name

config t
    ap-name <name of ap you want to do it to>
    dot11g-radio-profile <name of radio profile with G disabled>

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 14.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

Posted Sep 25, 2023 10:02 AM

Hello Mrtwentytwo,

I have 6 IAP 305 running 8.6.0.x OS.  I need to disable the 2.4GHz radio in 3 of the 6 APs.  They are configured in a campus setup with a local master AP "to rule them all".  I read your posted solution but I do not see any AP groups.  I login to the virtual controller to manage the APs. I prefer the look and feel of the Old UI.  Can you provide any more information to assist me in the task of disablingthe 2.4GHz radio on 3 of the 6 APs?  

Thank you in advance,

Greg

• 15.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2023 10:48 AM

From your controller, navigate to "Configuration". When that navigation tree unfolds, the fourth option should be "AP Groups", located below "Access Points" and above "Authentication".

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 16.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

Posted Sep 25, 2023 12:12 PM
      |   view attached

Hello cclemmer,  Thank you for your your reply.  I find myself a bit frustrated that Aruba support will not assist with configuration issues, so here I am.  I login to the  Aruba Virtual Controller via local IP address on our network.  I uploaded a screen shot of what I see. I'm guess that I not in the right area, or that my setup is not configured to enable me to see what you are referring to.  I appreciate any further assistance you might want to provide as it is important that I figure out either how to disable the 2.4Ghz radio or reduce the broadcast strength as to reduce noise in certain areas of our service shop.

Regards,

Greg

• 17.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2023 12:22 PM

With Instant you'll have to use Zones and additional radio profiles if you want to restrict the power on individual APs.  Create the radio profiles at Configuration / RF / Show advanced options / Radio and make sure to set a zone name for the profile.  Then you have to assign the RF zone name to the individual APs through Configuration / Access Points.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 18.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

Posted Sep 25, 2023 04:17 PM

Hello Carson,

Thank you for the information.  I created a test_name and test_profile under the 2.4GHz radio.  Looking at the configuration options, I do not know what to set to "disable" the 2.4 radio, or essentially turn off the broadcast strength.  I attached a screen shot of the profile options.

Can I use the test_profile with the 3 APs I want to modify, or will I need to create a separate profile for each individual AP?

I noticed that under Configuration|Access Points, I can edit the individual APs. I see that under Radio, 2.4GHz, I can select Administrator assigned instead of ARM assigned and change the broadcast strength to 0 for each channel.  Will that work? I attached a screen shot of that too.

Thank you for assisting me with this project.

Regards,

Greg Tokar

IT Manager

• 19.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2023 04:38 PM

Screenshots didn't come through.

Not the exact topic, but still useful information to wrap your head around Zones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFzPqB2Mdqw

Using an RF Zone and associated RF profile won't disable the 2.4 GHz radio, but will allow you to turn down the power for selected APs. 

Help entry on Zones: https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_811_WebHelp/Content/instant-ug/custom-iap-param/conf-zone-sett.htm

The IAP, from what I remember, doesn't have the option of selectively allowing or disallowing 2.4 GHz operation on a per-AP, per-SSID basis.  Can be done with AOS 8 or AOS 10.

At the end of the day, the best option is to get devices that operate on the 5 GHz band and eliminate, or at the least reduce, the number of devices dependent on 2.4 GHz.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 20.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

Posted Sep 26, 2023 10:28 AM

Carson,  Here are the screen shots I mentioned.  I work for a car dealership and the manufacturer has its Wi-Fi network installed along side our Wi-Fi LAN.  The cars only operate on 2.4GHz band and the manufacturer has requested disabling the 2.4GHz band from our company APs in an effort to reduce noise and hopefully improve performance of the manufacturer's Wi-Fi.  That is the reason for this post and attempting to comply with their request.  I will read the links you posted as it will likely give me a better understanding  of the 305s.  Thank you,  Greg

• 21.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2023 10:55 AM

Alternatively, for each wireless network, you can go to Configuration> Networks> Edit your network: Advanced and Under "Band" you can choose 5ghz only: https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_810_WebHelp/Content/instant-ug/wlan-ssid-conf/conf-wlan-sett.htm

That would prevent any of your WLANs from broadcasting on 2.4ghz.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 22.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

Posted Sep 26, 2023 05:15 PM

Cjoseph,

Thank you for making me aware of that configuration option.  I'm not sure I want to disable 2.4GHz for all APs on the network because of possible adverse effects to connectivity and range.  I appreciate the information as I continue to research the options.

Regards

Greg Tokar

IT Manager

• 23.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

Posted Sep 26, 2023 05:17 PM

Greg,

Are you talking about local controller managed or Central APs?

Thanks,

Brad

• 24.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

Posted Sep 27, 2023 03:43 PM

HI Brad,

The APs are local controller managed with the Virtual Controller.

Greg Tokar

IT Manager

• 25.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

Posted Sep 27, 2023 04:14 PM

Greg,

The reason I asked if it was local controller managed (applies to both physical or virtual) is because I don't have any experience with Central yet. I don't want to give you bad advice if you were using Central APs.

Anyway, I see that you should have x2 main options to turn off 2.4 GHz radios on just some APs.

The first method is to create a new AP group that has all of the same settings as your group that has both 2.4 and 5, but select a rf dot11g radio profile that turns off 2.4. Make sure you name the group so it is obvious to you that it has this function/restriction. Reprovision those APs you want the 2.4 off into this new group.

The second method is an individual AP override. This has to be done for each individual AP that you want 2.4 off. Within the override, you would apply a rf dot11g-radio-profile that turns off the radio (there are a couple of default profiles you can select without having to create a new profile).

I could start the equivalent of a Coke/Pepsi war about which option is best, but it comes down to how many APs you intend to configure this way and which way you or others who also configure the system are comfortable with. The last thing you want is to be deep into a troubleshooting session about why the 2.4 radios don't come online and have forgotten about selecting an AP override.

Thanks,

Brad

• 26.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2023 04:21 PM

Based on the information shared, Greg is running an Instant Cluster.  Thus the information on using Zones to accomplish the lower transmit power on 2.4 GHz since we can't disable a WLAN on a per-AP, per-band basis in IAP.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 27.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

Posted Sep 28, 2023 03:49 AM

Hi,
    it seems to be possible to define different Network-profiles with same ESSID on instant - so you can define one with broadcasting on both bands and another where the SSID is just broadcasted on one band:
    of course you should not assign any AP to more than one of these zones.
    Note: I did configure above test2 and test3 Networks on a remote LAB-IAP - so could not verify that it is working as it should - but you can give it a try.....
    It doesn't switch off the any Radio on the AP though.

/Jochem 

• 28.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

MVP
    Posted Sep 28, 2023 09:35 AM

IMO there needs to be a separate area for Instant much like there is for Instant On.

Keepnong it with controller based solutions results in confusion & bad advice, IMHO.

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer

• 29.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2023 09:43 AM

The controller less section of the website is for Instant. 

• 30.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

Posted Sep 28, 2023 10:00 AM

Hello All,

I apologize for posting my question in the wrong forum.  I was not familiar with the difference between the posted question for an AP on AOS and my issue with APs running in an Instant Cluster environment.  The last thing I wanted to do was cause confusion and waste people's time as I researched possible solutions.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Greg Tokar

IT Manager

• 31.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2023 10:11 AM

I personally wouldn't worry about it.  We have all answered with the wrong information either by assuming the wrong things or not reading a question in its entirety.

• 32.  RE: Disable 2.4GHz radio on some Access Points Aruba OS 8

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2023 03:18 PM

Greg,

Check the info that Carson provided. I got confused with the terminology "master local" that implied a controller/gateway product was involved rather than Instant. Carson addressed the application in an Instant environment to do what you're looking for.