Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

This thread has been viewed 58 times
  • 1.  IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

Posted Aug 01, 2018 01:27 PM

Hello - We have multiple IAP 205 covering the office connected to a Gigabit ethernet switch.  We recently upgraded our Internet link to a Gigabit speed. 

On laptops / smartphones we are not close to the theoretical speed but we are much closer when a laptop is connected using a wired connection.  What would be the the best practice to configure the ARM and Radio? is there anything else we need to do?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, ideas and guidance.

Dov 

pic-1.pngpic-2.png

• 2.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2018 01:49 PM

ClientMatch should be enabled. I would also investigate the 76 alerts that are showing on your VC dashboard. What version of IAP firmware are you running?

• 3.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

Posted Aug 01, 2018 08:48 PM

Sorry but I uploaded pictures from the wrong controller...any thoughts regarding the configuration of this controller? in my mind I should be able to get to +-450 Mbps

Picture1.pngPicture2.png

• 4.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

Posted Aug 01, 2018 08:51 PM

Sorry, I uploaded an incorrect photos (different controller)...any recommendations on the configuration below?  I am runnning version 6.5.4.8.  ThanksPicture1.pngPicture2.png

• 5.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2018 09:56 PM

In your SSID configurations under advanced, do you have Broadcast Filtering on?

• 6.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

Posted Aug 02, 2018 06:14 AM

It is disabled (see picture)

Picture3.png

• 7.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 02, 2018 06:20 AM

Enabling broadcast filtering should give you more performance on each SSID.  (you would have to enable it on all SSIDs for maximum effect).

• 8.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

Posted Aug 02, 2018 08:57 AM

I enabled broadcast filtering as you recommended.  When I do any speed test on a wired laptop, I get Download 460, upload 970.  But when I switch to wireless I get 113 and 200. I also see retrunsmission during the load test (see picture below)...are there any other configuration parameters that I should look into? is there any additional data you want me to provide?  Thank you!!Picture4.png  

• 9.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 02, 2018 09:40 AM

Wireless is a shared medium, so it will always be a fraction of wired performance.

• 10.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 02, 2018 10:56 AM

Understood - when I was doing the test, I was the only person using it...Is there a document that explain the best practice for all configuration parameters (I have 3 AP-205) or can you do me a big favor and look at my settings? thanks Dov

• 11.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

Posted Aug 12, 2018 01:38 PM

A big thank you!!!

• 12.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

Posted Nov 28, 2022 08:08 PM
    THIS is the EXACT same problem (limitation) I'm having w/my iap205's (AND iap207's)... on wifi w/basically same settings or any other tweaked settings, i get the same limitation you do of <200Mbps... MAYBE 300 max... 

I'd have the ap wired so the backhaul is not via wifi... if it's on wifi backhaul, then the speed cuts down to maybe HALF of when on wired or less... i forget the exact number bc it's been awhile since i've tested on wifi backhaul.

@cjoseph @cjoseph is this a limitation of aruba's hardware for the 200 iap models??​​​

• 13.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2022 04:14 AM
    The IAP-205 is a 2x2:2 access point, which means that you can have up to 2 spatial streams. Following the mcsindex, you would get a maximum connection speed of 173Mbps for 20MHz channels (used on 2.4GHz), 400Mbps on 40MHz channels (5GHz) or 867Mbps on 80MHz channels (5GHz).

That is with a 2SS client and under optimal conditions, and in that case you would get roughly half of the connection speed if you do a speedtest (due to protocol overhead and half-duplex). This is not because of hardware/Aruba limitations, but just how WiFi works. If you get 200Mbps TCP throughput (Speedtest) on an AP205, I would consider that more or less expected. If your clients are less capable, or RF conditions are suboptimal, speeds will be slower. Also with WiFi your latency is higher than on a wired connection, which slows down tests with a single client that does a single TCP connection.

Unfortunately, WiFi throughput is not an exact science. But because you did not share with what client (specs), on what channel, SNR and channel-width you are testing, it's hard to tell something useful about what you see.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 14.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

Posted Nov 29, 2022 02:57 PM
    Thank you for your help... here is my current configuration... similar to the OP:
    ip xxx.1.183 is the same setup as the 205 ap in question

here is the general setup i have - in red is the band i'm connecting to/using:

are there any changes you would recommend to ensure configuration is optimal for wifi speed on 5ghz under ideal circumstances?

• 15.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2022 09:38 AM
    The IAP207 is only 2x2, but you can see what TX and RX were negotiated between two mesh access points by using "show ap mesh link".  That will tell you the negotiated speed for your environment.  You can use that command to reposition access points to get the maximum mesh link speed for your environment.  https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/CLI-Bank/Content/instant/sh-ap-mesh-link.htm

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 16.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

Posted Nov 29, 2022 03:08 PM
    thanks cj... i have each ap wired, so there's no wifi backhaul used... speeds SHOULD be able to exceed 200M for wifi on a gig enabled service and lan, right?

• 17.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2022 03:14 PM
    Are you doing performance tests on a client?  Are you using iperf?  What tx/rx speed does the client negotiate?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 18.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

Posted Nov 29, 2022 05:03 PM
    running speedtest.net from win10 client connecting on channel 52e (no other ap's on this in the area), rx/tx: 54/325 (Mbps) with results:

• 19.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2022 05:07 PM

• 20.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2022 05:07 PM
    It almost seems like you have a 10/100 switch in the path...

EDIT:  But I am concerned that your client is only associating at a 54 rate on one side.  What OS client is this?  It is almost like there is a broken antenna not enabling it to get the proper speed.  Have you tried another client to compare?

• 21.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

Posted Nov 29, 2022 05:18 PM

• 22.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

Posted Nov 29, 2022 05:22 PM
    updated speedtest:
    and this is the best I can get on a 500Mbps service (1G router/modem) for home, but ~250M on a 1G service (1G switch)

• 23.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2022 05:26 PM
    Okay.  That is better.  Is your WLAN card driver up to date?  How many clients are on that AP?

• 24.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

Posted Nov 29, 2022 05:32 PM
    this is always the best speed i can get regardless of how many clients (all web browsing) on 1 ap.  right now there are only 8 online.

• 25.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

Posted Nov 29, 2022 05:39 PM
    I suppose there's no way to run some self-diagnostics test on the ap? or any tool to do that?

• 26.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

Posted Nov 29, 2022 05:37 PM
    yes, i've used various devices and it reports no faster than what i've last shown above for speed.  very frustrating.

• 27.  RE: IAP 205 configuration for maximum speed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 29, 2022 05:56 PM

with wifi, there is overhead and it is half duplex so you will never get half the association rate speed.  Slowing it down further would be any other clients that are associated and are further away that are sending traffic at lower rates. With that being said:
    Change min transmit power to 18 to make sure there is transmit power symetry between AP and client.
    Change Client aware to disabled so your access point chooses the proper channel even if clients are associated.
    Interference immunity should be 2 (it is 2 by default)
    Background spectrum monitoring should be disabled
    Min and max power should be 18 to match the client.
    Make dynamic multicast optimization disabled
    Change the Min RSSI for probe request to 0

Try with those changes and try to have as few clients on the channel/AP as possible.