Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Access Point Stop broadcasting SSID

This thread has been viewed 52 times
  • 1.  Access Point Stop broadcasting SSID

Posted 14 days ago

Hope someone has encountered this issue:

I have Airwave managing my environment.  Virtual Controllers and many sites.

One day an access point stop broadcasting specific SSIDS.  Out of the 3 SSIDs, 2 are not broadcasting.  These are our BYOD connections and on the same VLAN.  the still broadcasting SSID is on the internal VLAN.

I usually can resolve this issue with a power cycle, but wondering if there's a better way to discover these APs and or prevent this altogether.

when not working: show ap bss-table shows only the internal SSIDs (2.4 & 5Ghz)

when working all SSIDs are listed (6 total)

Anyone seen this before?

• 2.  RE: Access Point Stop broadcasting SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 13 days ago

What version of firmware are you running on the IAPs?  Have you opened a case with TAC to determine why the WLANs stop broadcasting?

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 3.  RE: Access Point Stop broadcasting SSID

Posted 12 days ago

I'm running 6.5.4.22-6.5.4.22 on most of my cluster and 8.9.0.2-8.9.0.2 on one cluster.

I have a mixture of 200s, 300s, and 500s Access Points.

I had opened a case with TAC but because I don't have support they won't help me.

This issue happens across all clusters and firmware version.  

• 4.  RE: Access Point Stop broadcasting SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 12 days ago

Best bet for troubleshooting is going to be grabbing the logs (or `show tech-support`) from one of the APs while in that state.  Your likely best bet for a quick-ish resolve is to get your software up to something that is still supported, like 8.10, which will require replacing the older APs.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 5.  RE: Access Point Stop broadcasting SSID

Posted 12 days ago

I do get the "show tech-support", pre and post power cycle, that is how I discover the difference between the access point state.  It's very odd and only a few access points are effected at a time out of 1350 units.  My issue is to be able to discover them automatically before users are effected or prevent this all together.

Thanks for replying.

• 6.  RE: Access Point Stop broadcasting SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 12 days ago

So is there anything in the logs that indicates why/when the broadcast state changes?

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 7.  RE: Access Point Stop broadcasting SSID

Posted 12 days ago

Not that I can see.  I have gone through the log...But TBH I'm no Aruba log expert.

• 8.  RE: Access Point Stop broadcasting SSID

Posted 12 days ago

We have had the exact same issue since last August at several schools we support.  We attempted several firmware versions and sent HPE support log after log... The issue has only been resolved by getting an RMA and replacing the device.  We are up to 7 devices across 4 different schools (out of 44 that we support), with three more schools and a total of probably 7 more APs we are getting ready to request RMAs for.  

Once the "problem" APs were replaced with the new equipment all issues stopped and everything has been working perfectly. 

• 9.  RE: Access Point Stop broadcasting SSID

Posted 12 days ago

That's very interesting, I also support a school board.  I'm not sure I can get replacement because as I said it's fixed with a reboot.  The frequency is very minimal, just annoying and effecting users when not working.

Good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this type of issue.

• 10.  RE: Access Point Stop broadcasting SSID

Posted 11 days ago

All of them I have RMA'd were also fixed with a reboot.  Get a support ticket opened immediately and request a replacement.

• 11.  RE: Access Point Stop broadcasting SSID

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 10 days ago

if you still have the output of "show tech-support" please share it here. I am curious to find out why that was happening.

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.