Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-577 using both ethernet ports

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  AP-577 using both ethernet ports

MVP
    Posted May 06, 2021 10:49 AM
    We purchased an AP-577 to use for random events held in outdoor spaces that need wireless access from time to time. Is there any power or bandwidth benefit to using both ethernet ports at the same time? Will I get a power boost? Will I get a bandwidth increase?

------------------------------
    Nathan Kuhl

• 2.  RE: AP-577 using both ethernet ports

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 06, 2021 11:45 AM
    You can use the dual ethernet ports for Link Aggregation (LACP) support between both network ports for redundancy and increased capacity. You should consider reading the data sheet as there are some caveats surrounding power and ports.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP570Series.pdf

Craig Syme

• 3.  RE: AP-577 using both ethernet ports

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 06, 2021 11:49 AM
    There probably will be little performance benefits. This is from the data sheet:
    • Maximum (worst-case) power consumption:
      • PoE powered (dual ports): 32.0W
      • PoE powered (single port, full function): 26.1W
    • Maximum (worst-case) power consumption in idle mode:
      • 14.0W (single PoE) or 16.0W (dual PoE)
    • Maximum (worst-case) power consumption in deep-sleep mode:
      • 2.9W (single PoE) or 3.9W (dual PoE)
    • The AP supports Power over Ethernet (PoE) on port E0 and/or E1
    • When PoE power is supplied to both Ethernet ports, the AP can be configured to combine or prioritize power sources
    • Power sources are sold separately; see the ordering information for details
    • When powered by 1x 802.3at (class 4) PoE and with the IPM feature disabled, the AP will disable the other Ethernet port. In the same configuration but with IPM enabled, the AP will start up in unrestricted mode, but may dynamically apply restrictions depending on the PoE budget and actual power. The feature restrictions and order can be programmed.
    • Operating the AP with single or dual 802.3af (class 3 or lower) PoE source is not supported.

Basically, by connecting it to a single PoE+ port (preferred smart-rate on E0) without IPM enabled you lose the second ethernet port which is not connected at that point anyway. Especially for events, pulling dual ethernet may be hard compared to the possible benefits. Even when connected at a single 1Gbps it is unlikely that the ethernet port will be a bottleneck in practice. Please work with your Aruba partner or Aruba SE to see if there may be something I overlooked.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

• 4.  RE: AP-577 using both ethernet ports

Posted Jun 20, 2022 03:07 PM
    If using default IPM with a single class 4 POE+ the LED on the AP is Red and the controller shows 2r indicating power restricted. Is the reason why the LED is red on the Access point? If I enable IMP profile and set it to disable he USB and the 2nd port will the AP LED turn green? The only reason is when someone has issues they see a red led automatically think the access point is not functioning. 

Kelly L