Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

mDNS, WiFi display sharing device failures on Aruba AP's

This thread has been viewed 60 times
  • 1.  mDNS, WiFi display sharing device failures on Aruba AP's

Posted May 09, 2022 10:53 PM
    I am looking for guidance on WiFi display sharing devices, such as that of the Screenbeam 1100 here, https://www.screenbeam.com/products/screenbeam-1100-plus.  We purchased one for our organization.  I configured and tested it at home in a Cisco LAN environment with Meraki AP's, and it worked flawlessly.  I took it into the building expecting the same, which has the same Cisco LAN, but Aruba AP's, Wi-Fiand it worked one time on the Internal network, and never on the guest network.  It then stopped worked completely.  I took it back home, and again it works great. 

On the Aruba Instant AP network, I tried the following: 
    • Turned on AirGroup with Enable Bonjour, Guest Bonjour multicast, allowall, but it still didn't work
    • On the guest network, I set Broadcast filtering to Disabled, and Deny inter user bridging to off, but it still didn't work

We are using Aruba AP 535's on 8.8.0.2.  The user clients and Screenbeam devices are in the same vlan. 
    Any ideas? 

The network requirements from the manufacturer are: 
    Multicast DNS (mDNS) support is required for iOS and macOS native screen mirroring
    to auto-discover ScreenBeam
    Required ports
    5353 (UDP) for Multicast DNS (mDNS) discovery
    7100 (TCP and UDP) for macOS, iOS and Windows 10 mirroring
    7250 (TCP) for Miracast over LAN data stream
    47000 (TCP) for Airtunes in AirPlay
    18000-18009 (TCP) for macOS and iOS AV data

------------------------------
    Christopher

• 2.  RE: mDNS, WiFi display sharing device failures on Aruba AP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2022 12:51 PM
    If you just have an "allow all" firewall policy for your roles, all your clients (and the screenbeam devices) are in the same VLAN and broadcast filtering is disabled, your clients should be able to see your screenbeam devices without enabling Airgroup.

You would need Airgroup if:
    - Your clients and screenbeams are not in the same VLAN, and you need them to see each other
    or 
    - You want to improve performance by enabling broadcast filtering and you still want your clients to see your screenbeam devices.

Try to put everything in the same VLAN and disable broadcast filtering first to ensure that you don't have a separate issue.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: mDNS, WiFi display sharing device failures on Aruba AP's

Posted May 11, 2022 06:53 PM
    Thanks @cjoseph @cjoseph

The settings before I changed anything is​​​ Broadcast Filtering - ARP. 

The clients and the mDNS sharing device are in the same VLAN.  The devices supports two networks, one wired, and the other wireless.  We want wired for the Private network and wireless for Guest. 

The wireless clients on the Private network can see the sharing device, but cannot consistently connect.  Sometimes they connect, sometimes they do not.  Sometimes after connecting, they disconnect. 

The wireless clients on the Guest network cannot see the sharing device, unless I disable Broadcast Filter.  The experience then, is the same as the users above on the Private network, inconsistent. 

From what you stated, it sounds like AirGroup is not needed.  However, I do want the best performance, so if AirGroup would help, please advise.

Christopher

• 4.  RE: mDNS, WiFi display sharing device failures on Aruba AP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2022 09:42 PM
    Are you using Aruba Instant, or are these controller-based access points?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: mDNS, WiFi display sharing device failures on Aruba AP's

Posted May 12, 2022 12:12 AM
    These are Instant/Virtual controller.

Christopher

• 6.  RE: mDNS, WiFi display sharing device failures on Aruba AP's

Posted May 19, 2022 08:09 PM

@cjoseph,
    Any other ideas?  ​

Christopher

• 7.  RE: mDNS, WiFi display sharing device failures on Aruba AP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 19, 2022 10:07 PM
    You should disable broadcast filtering.

• 8.  RE: mDNS, WiFi display sharing device failures on Aruba AP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 09, 2022 04:49 PM
    Just quickly, did you get this resolved by removing the broadcast filtering? Or did you narrow this down at all?

I have plenty of customers using screen beam, great product, but i dont recall any issues, until yesterday, where it seems intermittent even on the same vlan.... so just curious :)

• 9.  RE: mDNS, WiFi display sharing device failures on Aruba AP's

Posted Jun 09, 2022 05:15 PM
    No, this didn't work.  I already had Broadcast filtering off in the initial troubleshooting.  I will restart the network, and see if that allows it take effect, in the next available window that I can. 

Let me know what you find in your environment to resolve.

Christopher

• 10.  RE: mDNS, WiFi display sharing device failures on Aruba AP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 09, 2022 05:37 PM
    If you you have airgroup off, and broadcast filtering is disabled, and your clients are in the same VLAN, there should be nothing in the way of your WLAN blocking those advertisements.

• 11.  RE: mDNS, WiFi display sharing device failures on Aruba AP's

Posted Nov 01, 2022 04:19 PM
    I revisited this, and indeed it is still not working. 

See the attached diagram.  So far, this appears to be an Aruba issue.  I move the Screenbeam to a Cisco Meraki only WiFi lab, and it works at it's supposed to.  Is there anything in the Aruba AP that would limit interaction between the Guest network user and the Screenbeam? 

• 12.  RE: mDNS, WiFi display sharing device failures on Aruba AP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 01, 2022 05:03 PM
    Please open a technical support case.  They will get to the bottom of your problem.

• 13.  RE: mDNS, WiFi display sharing device failures on Aruba AP's

Posted Nov 02, 2022 02:15 PM
    Can you share the appropriate software only support SKU for JZ337A/AP535 so we can purchase?  I don't see service listing in the datasheet or ordering guide. 

• 14.  RE: mDNS, WiFi display sharing device failures on Aruba AP's

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 08, 2022 06:20 AM
    That question is off-topic for this discussion. Please open a separate discussion for SKU questions, or better.. work with your Aruba partner or local Aruba sales team.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.