Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

This thread has been viewed 241 times
  • 1.  Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Feb 28, 2022 12:56 AM
    We have a TAC open, but it's been 3 weeks and I wanted to put this out here - any direction would be much appreciated!

We are a public school district which has been using Aruba since 2016. We had 200-series APs in a controller environment and upgraded over the holidays this winter to 500-series APs using Aruba Central. In every classroom in the district, we have miracast devices (Microsoft wireless display adapters) which allow our teachers to project wirelessly from their Windows 10 laptops to their projectors. Miracast, as I understand it, using the wireless NIC and both 2.4 & 5GHz, but is a point-to-point connection: https://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi/miracast .

Symptoms: as soon as we press Windows K to scan for devices to connect to, the laptop's network slows to a crawl (ping -t response times shoot up; speedtests fall to under 1M). Essentially, teachers cannot project. 

Laptops: we have multiple models of Dell 5310 & Lenovo windows 10 laptops showing the problem, all using Intel AX201 160Mhz NICs. We've updated drivers and operating systems. Test laptops do work fine in other school buildings. 

Location: only occurring in one school building out of 8. Problems are throughout the building, but seem to be concentrated on higher floors (whether that is related to the height, a physical aspect of the floors, the switches, or VC's, I don't know). This is the only building which is tall. It is also close to the hospital and state emergency communications towers (we are in the capitol city); there is a small airport and an Army national guard base about 2 miles away. 

Another district in another area of the country is having the same problem, and also has Aruba equipment. I know this because an engineer from Screenbeam responded to a thread I posted on another forum and gathered data for us to help troubleshoot his client's problem; you can see our session in this video .

Theories so far: DRC interference; seen as rogue device; switch configuration in this building.

------------------------------
    Pam McLeod
    CTO/CISO
    Concord (NH) School District

• 2.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 28, 2022 07:32 AM
    Can you share the output for your configured radio/wlan settings? Virtual AP profile, SSID profile, radio-profile, and ap-group setting?

Dustin Burns

Lead Mobility Engineer @Worldcom Exchange, Inc.

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2022
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 28, 2022 07:36 AM
    Also, as another check, have you tested with High Efficiency (802.11ax) turned off? Some clients have issues on 802.11ax WLANs.

Dustin Burns

Lead Mobility Engineer @Worldcom Exchange, Inc.

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2022
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 4.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 04, 2022 03:12 PM
    This problem was resolved today - it was a bug in version 8.7.1.3_79817 . There was a known issue around "latency" - not quite the same description, but apparently it was the issue. We upgraded firmware to 8.7.1.7 and it resolved today.

Pam McLeod, CAGS/CETL
    CTO/CISO
    Concord School District
    Concord, New Hampshire
    pmcleod@sau8.org

• 5.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted May 09, 2022 10:49 PM
    Is Screenbeam still working ok for you?  We purchased a Screenbeam 1100 for our organization.  I configured and tested it at home in a Cisco LAN environment with Meraki AP's, and it worked flawlessly.  I took it into the building expecting the same, as the Cisco LAN is the same, but with Aruba AP's, and it worked one time on the Internal network, and never on the guest network.  It then stopped worked completely.  I took it back home, and again it works great. 

On the Aruba Instant AP network, I tried the following: 
    • Turned on AirGroup with Enable Bonjour, Guest Bonjour multicast, allowall, but it still didn't work
    • On the guest network, I set Broadcast filtering to Disabled, and Deny inter user bridging to off, but it still didn't work

We are using Aruba AP 535's on 8.8.0.2.  The user clients and Screenbeam devices are in the same vlan. 
    Any ideas? 

The network requirements from the manufacturer are: 
    Multicast DNS (mDNS) support is required for iOS and macOS native screen mirroring
    to auto-discover ScreenBeam
    Required ports
    5353 (UDP) for Multicast DNS (mDNS) discovery
    7100 (TCP and UDP) for macOS, iOS and Windows 10 mirroring
    7250 (TCP) for Miracast over LAN data stream
    47000 (TCP) for Airtunes in AirPlay
    18000-18009 (TCP) for macOS and iOS AV data

Christopher

• 6.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Dec 07, 2023 11:20 AM

Hi, 

have you found a solution to this problem? We have Aruba 505 APs with 8.11. firmware which are working fine but as soon as someone connects to a screen via miracast the internet becomes unusable. 

• 7.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 07, 2023 09:38 PM

Can you share which client and driver version, and which device you're mirroring via Miracast to? 

Josh

• 8.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Dec 11, 2023 06:32 AM

Hi, 

thank you for your reply. We mostly use Surface tablets but same thing happens when we connect with Asus or HP laptops. It doesn´t matter whether we connect to the Airserver via Miracast or to a Microsoft Miracast Adapter, as soon as a laptop connects with Miracast the internet becomes very slows. it only happens in the building ehere we have the Aruba 505 APs. In the other buildings where we have Ubiquiti APs, the internet via WiFi works normally. 

• 9.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Feb 28, 2024 09:07 AM

Hey guys, 

thanks for your help so far. We turned off the channels, as adviced above, we turned off High throughput and tried other methods suggested here but with no outcome. Wifi still down when connected via miracast. I don´t know whether the new firmware version 10 would help, as it´s a cloud based firmware and that´s not allowed at our school so we had to roll back to 8. Funny thing is that when I´m alone in the room I got around 10.000 Bits (out of 150.00 when not connected) which would be fine for working, but as soon as some students come into the room and connect to our wifi, the rate drops to 400 Bits. Don´t know what else to do. 

• 10.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Feb 29, 2024 03:25 AM

Does setting no multiple-tx-replay-counters help at all?

• 11.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Dec 11, 2023 11:57 AM

Right here with you. Upgrade to AP-505's mostly (all we have installed so far, as we have stopped until this is resolved) upon making a Miracast connection, speeds tank. There is no disconnect, just slow and you can see the throughput drop while watching Resource Monitor. You disconnect Miracast (Wi-Fi Direct Connection), never touching wlan connection and things take right off. We are running firmware 10.5.0.1_88128 on all of AP's. You are running 8..., I am convinced this is some setting within Aruba Central or on-premise controller that has to be turned on/off and not related to firmware or even Aruab OS version. I do have a TAC open and have a meeting in about about an hour and will report back if something is found (I am using Aruba Central to manage AP's, no Gateway just Aruba AP's back to older HP Switches).

• 12.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Dec 11, 2023 12:04 PM

Awesome, thanks for your info, I'll be waiting for your news :)

• 13.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Dec 15, 2023 07:33 AM

No help so far working with Aruba engineer. The connection speed between client device and AP is solid, has been, which is all he was looking at when running commands in terminal against an AP. It's the throughout that tanks after the connection to Miracast display is made that he wasn't even addressing before our meeting was over.  I will be reconnecting.

Does the creation of an "AirGroup" come into play here? I am looking at this now just because some things line up, mDNS traffic being the biggie. I do wonder if packets are sent, hit AP and are ignored because it doesn't know what to do with them and there is a bunch of wasted communication which bogs down the radio.  https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/central/2.5.7/content/nms/apps/airgroup/airgroup.htm

• 14.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Dec 20, 2023 10:48 AM
      |   view attached

It took some time on me comparing old to new controller but I think I have the answer to this issue and explains why 2.4Ghz works and only 5Ghz is the issue. No thanks to Aruba Engineer... I have users testing now to confirm but the more I read and understand, I do believe this is the answer: DFS Channels need to be turned-off/disabled on the 5Ghz radio to play nice with Miracast. So only Channels 36,40,44,48,149,153,157,161 are ON and the rest OFF 52-140 that are considered DFS Channels (144 is default off, if not turn off too). This is controlled in the Radio Profile in Aruba Central. You could have a different Radio profile applied to each group in Aruba Central but I just have it set to my default radio profile (one and only for us).

Caveat; in deployments with a large number of clients, this limits available wireless channels. But as you will see from links below Miracast devices do not understand DFS channels and performance is affected. We do not have enough clients to say so, as even our old system kept up just fine (802.11n) as the DFS channels are off. Pushing 500-600 clients, over 90+ APs, max 30-clients on an AP (depending on where clients were in the building and proximity to an AP) along with Cell phones etc... on Guest network.

I will post to confirm all is well (hopefully) as week goes on but really encouraged by what is being seen.

UPDATE: I can say with confidence, this is the answer. I confirmed and verified a night and day difference for clients.

Scroll down to the section titled: "Troubleshoot connection performance" and read about DFS channels. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/surface-hub/miracast-troubleshooting

More info: https://wifinc.net/dfs-channels-and-why-to-avoid-them-even-though-you-say-you-cannot

I understand this better now because of above WIFINC.net article (and we use Actiontec's too):

• 15.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Dec 25, 2023 08:58 AM

Hey,

I wish you a merry Christmas and thanks a lot for posting your progress. I was sick and not able to try it out and definitely will do next year. But I also have the issues with 2.4 GHz. The students' access runs on 2,4 the teachers'' on 5 GHz and as soon as I connected to miracast, the internet slowed down on both accesses. 

• 16.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Jan 04, 2024 10:02 AM

With the way Miracast operates and it really hating DFS channels, I am convinced this is it. I think 2.4Ghz just doesn't offer enough bandwidth for newer radios and then you add on trying to run a Miracast session at the same time and latency kicks in. Though it should play nice with 2.4Ghz, I think to much surrounding traffic and nature of "streaming" being bandwidth hungry, just adds to it. Also I do not think that the Miracat protocol is all that efficient in how it operates.

Staff have been teaching/testing sense before break and now after and all issues related to speed have gone away. It is worth trying...

Also other settings that were tweaked by Aruba support in the hope of fixing this, I turned back off, so maybe you had already played with these and want to turn off as well: 

Under the the WLAN name (each has settings of its own), I turned off:

Multicast Transmission Optimization and Dynamic Multicast Optimization (DMO)

• 17.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

MVP
    Posted Jan 04, 2024 05:21 PM

Fighting this issue in my district as well. I have schools running 315s and others running 515s, the issue seems isolated to the 515s. We've been running 8.10.0.6 code just fine, and staff could screencast without issue while also having stable internet connetion. After upgrading to 8.10.0.9, once you screencast the wireless connection goes to trash and is very intermittent (slow to laggy internet browsing, dropped pings, etc). As soon as you disconnect from screen sharing, the issues go away. After downgrading schools back to 8.10.0.6, no more complaints from staff. Trying to get a case opened now.

• 18.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Jan 23, 2024 10:56 AM

We had a similar issue with our Aruba 515 APs after upgrading to 8.11 as well, and was able to resolve it by disabling the High throughput option on the IAP.

Configuration > Networks > Edit network > Basics tab > Show advanced options > High throughput: off

Hope this solution works for some of you as well!

• 19.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Mar 05, 2024 01:12 PM

I have also been having this issue.  I opened a TAC case a month or so ago and have been back and forth with Aruba since.  I have sent over lots of logs from differnet devices and software applications as per their request and they have come back and said they beleive they have found the issue and are working to resolve it. 

Heres hoping to a new version of the firmware being released soon!

• 20.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Mar 05, 2024 01:29 PM

I look forward to your reply because the more we install, the majority of our deployment is complete, despite my effort in turning off the DFS channels we seem to be seeing hiccups now with performance again. Not to the piss-poor level pervious to me turning off DFS channels but not anywhere near the smoothness we saw using Miracast with AP 105's (802.11n).

We should not be having to tell people to use a "cable" to connect to their screens when for previous 8 years, there was no need.

• 21.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Mar 06, 2024 08:35 AM

Has anyone experimented with limiting 5Ghz to using 20Mhz and 40Mhz channel widths (turning off 80Mhz and 160Mhz (if his this is even on)) to see if this frees up client device to broadcast to both Wifi and Miracast screen?

As you see from my previous post, I left 80Mhz on, could that be an issue?

• 22.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Mar 06, 2024 09:45 AM

Yes, we blocked the DFS channels as DCS Technology - K-12 Edu suggested in anwser number 14. but unfortunately it didn´t help. 

• 23.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Mar 06, 2024 10:38 AM

Yes,  you did turn-off 80Mhz? Was this before or after making the change related to DFS channels?

For us, making the DFS channel change has made a big difference (from completely unusable to working) BUT things in general do seem slower than before with older AP's.

Now in our Elementary, where it is a lot more "movie time" than I think it ought to be, we have the new AP's installed. Things are working to a point but more hiccups related to performance seem to be happening, loading of websites and playing content when using Miracast at the same time. If you disconnect from Miracast screen, performance on the device itself picks up just fine.

Most of our fleet, where Miracast is being used have "Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160Mhz" network adapters with Win 10 or 11 (does not make a difference which OS, performance issues persist) running Intel Driver 22.250.1.2 and Intel Bluetooth 22.250.0.2.

• 24.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Mar 08, 2024 02:53 AM

DFS Channels were turned off from the beginning, after that we tried other channels, as well as everything sugested in this thread, but what helped others unfortunately didn´t work for our school. Did you play around with the channels? 

I´m really counting on DSapseid here and hoping for a new firmware soon. I´ve heard that both firmware versions 8 and ten are still being supported. Is that right? As we aren´t allowed to use the 10 version because of the cloud yet. 

• 25.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Mar 06, 2024 11:32 AM

Hi @DSapseid, what issue did you report?  

• 26.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Mar 07, 2024 03:05 AM

I have 515APs and when not doing miracast broadband speed tests show 300mb, when on miracast it drops to 2mb.  Tested other model of AP (315) on same version and fine.  Also 515s at a site with older firmware, again fine.  So the issue appears to be the 500 series APs on 8.10.6+ firmware version as previously mentioned above.

It was requested I send over the below which I did

• Tech support logs from the individual AP before and after starting a miracast transmission
    • iPerf logs for the laptop contacting a desktop computer.
    • OTA captures from an apple device for the wifi channel in use whilst trying to miracast

All the logs sent over and they have identified the issue: 

• 27.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Mar 11, 2024 11:26 AM

Following on from this, we had the same issues on AP-505s on the 8.11 Gemini Firmware when trying to Connect to a wireless display from various different windows laptops whilst connected to the APs. Connection speed drops and the frame rate on the TV is really poor and disconnects. Connecting via a Mobile phone Hotspot and it works fine.

I have upgraded to the 8.12 Firmware and will be testing later today.

• 28.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted Mar 11, 2024 02:43 PM

Please, looking forward to answers. We are running cloud (10.5...) but it is an issue for both on-prem and cloud, particularly 500 series AP it seems.

• 29.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted 26 days ago

Any update ConnorH? It is a bigger issue here than I realized and people are doing work arounds that I wish they did not have to do. Thanks.

• 30.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted 19 days ago

Agreed. I'd like to hear an update.
    We're experiencing this issue as well. Speeds slow to a crawl when using MiraCast. We're even on Version 10.4.X, Mix of 515 and 305 APs, managed by Aruba Central.

Haven't implemented anything they've recommended in this thread, since it seems like nothing has really actually been a 'true fix'.

• 31.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted 19 days ago

No improvement on 8.12. Guess we will have to wait for an update from Aruba on this.

• 32.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted 19 days ago

I see firmware 10.6.X.X was released, in the Release Notes under Resolved Issues saw this;

Clients experienced audio failure during multicast for group communication when roaming between APs within the same gateway cluster (Device Designated Gateway). This issue occurred due to incorrect internal device information stored on the AP. This issue was observed in AP-515 access points running ArubaOS 10.5.0.1 or later versions. The fix ensures proper device information updates during roaming, preventing audio failure.

Not the same thing but intriguing.

I have not installed the firmware but thought about giving it a shot. I am not totally sure what a "Device Designated Gateway" is either.

• 33.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 19 days ago

AOS-250572 which you've pasted in the description for fixes a multicast roaming issue. I don't think it will fix this Miracast issue. Does anyone on this thread have an AOS bug ID associated with their TAC cases?

Device Designated Gateway (DDG) is to AOS 10 as AP Anchor Controller (AAC) is to AOS 8 https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/central/2.5.7/content/aos10x/cfg/gw-clust-tun-orch/gw-cl-architct.htm.

• 34.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted 18 days ago

No AOS bug ID was associated with my TAC, I just PM'd you the info on the case I had opened (and shortly closed).

• 35.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted 14 days ago

Yes I have a AOS Bug ID.  AOS-252437

Ive spent 2 hours with Aruba support today trying workarounds to the current firmware with no luck.  They are still working on the updated firmware with the fix it it.  It is currently being tested in the labs apparently.

• 36.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 14 days ago

DSapseid, which AP model and firmware were you testing today?

• 37.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted 14 days ago

515 APs with firmware 8.11.2.2

• 38.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 14 days ago

Your bug ID and this Miracast issue appears to be linked to AOS-251742 which engineering is working on patching the various supported releases. Already patched in upcoming 10.5.1.1. Patches for 10.6, 10.4, 8.10, 8.12 are currently pending.

Just an FYI for everyone running AOS 8.11 in this thread, 8.11 is no longer receiving patches, you'll need to either downgrade to 8.10 or upgrade to 8.12 for any fixes once available.

• 39.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

Posted 7 days ago

Thank you! Any idea on when 10.5.1.1 will be released?

I assume the issue will be documented in the Release Notes, as to what was the cause or will it only be an acknowledgment of the issue being fixed? If only an acknowledgment; may you elaborate here on what had to be addressed? I just have to know :).

• 40.  RE: Aruba upgrade causes Miracast projection failures

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 5 days ago

The Miracast traffic pattern appears to trigger an issue with power save queues. AOS-251742 should be noted in the release notes, but they haven't been created yet so I can't give you a definite answer. Reach out to your account team for information on when.