Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

factory reset some used AP205Hs, and now they will not boot and join my controllers

This thread has been viewed 41 times
  • 1.  factory reset some used AP205Hs, and now they will not boot and join my controllers

Posted May 11, 2022 06:47 PM
    We are stuck on AOS 8.3 until we can replace our 103H's. We are buying used 205Hs on ebay so that we can do this out-of-band refresh as economically as possible. We got the first tranche of APs, and I'm missing a step after performing the factory reset -- it doesn't appear the "New Devices" list in AirWave, or in the Access Points list in Mobility Master.

I've been doing the factory reset by putting a paperclip in the hole and plugging the ethernet cable from AP to a POE port. Both lights flicker very briefly red as the cable clicks in, and then some very fast green blinks of just the "i" system status light, followed by a slow steady on-and-off of the green i light, and finally a steady green. Then that steady green only lasts like 5-10 seconds and it repeats the steady on-off blinking.

The install instruction sheet (where I got the instructions for doing the factory reset) says that the blinking system status light means that it's booting, which means that I think it is rebooting over and over again.

Is there any way to connect to the AP and get more information that just the blinking lights?

We have dozens of AP205Hs already deployed (that we bought new) and all I've ever had to do is power them on, they use ADP to find a controller, and after a few minutes appear in MM and then I can provision them.

Clearly I'm missing a step. (Aruba APs and ZTP "it just works" is wonderful, until it just doesn't work!)

------------------------------
    Cathy Fasano

• 2.  RE: factory reset some used AP205Hs, and now they will not boot and join my controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2022 09:45 PM
    Your ebay APs  could be IAP205hs that are assigned to Central.  The only way you can figure that out is if you block internet access on that subnet and see if the access point comes as an Instant AP.  Boot the AP on any subnet that doesn't have internet and see if broadcasts the "instant" SSID.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: factory reset some used AP205Hs, and now they will not boot and join my controllers

MVP
    Posted May 12, 2022 04:13 AM
    Those are univeersal APs. As mentioned by others, the operating mode is usually controlled through Aruba Central. It is possible to console in to them with the proper console cable though.

Although that model is technically still supported, there is no warranty or support from Aruba due to them not being purchased from an authorized reseller.  that would also mean there would be no support on any controller service issues to those APs or caused by those APs..

I assume, since you did research before your purchase, you already know these things.

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer

• 4.  RE: factory reset some used AP205Hs, and now they will not boot and join my controllers

Posted May 12, 2022 02:54 PM
    I have not been able to locate a console cable in my office, but I'm not sure what it really looks like because all I have to go on is the connector on the back of the AP -- I don't even know what connector is on the other end of the cable. Is there a way to get into the AP using the E1 ports? Is there a process?  I have one of these APs with the E0 port on the back plugged into a POE-injector but the other port on the injector not plugged in -- this gives me power to the AP but no internet. Then I have an ethernet patch cable from the E1 port to the ethernet port on a laptop. When I power up the AP, the system status light cycles between flashing green to solid green back to flashing green, etc. About the time I get to the second solid green cycle, the laptop tells me that the ethernet is up. After several more cycles of flashing green to solid green, the system status turns red and stays red. But the ethernet on the laptop still says that the connection is up.

The properties of the ethernet connection are 
    DHCP Enabled: YES
    IPv4: 169.254.224.21
    IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway and DNS Server are blank

Is there something I can do with that to get a console connection, or do I have to order a cable and wait for it to come?

As for doing it this way, I'm not at all happy with the situation that we find ourselves in. If the 103H would go to 8.6 like the other 802.11n APs of the same or earlier vintages, then we would be on 8.6 and I would be updating my even older 105s and 135s -- 40% of my installed APs -- with 5xx Series APs. Then NEXT summer I could go to 8.7 and 503Hs. But I have to get to 8.6 before I can even start the 105/135 update process! If money were not a problem, then I'd use 303Hs. (If the global supply chains weren't hosed I could probably find enough 303Hs on the used/openBox market. But people in hell want ice water, too...)

Cathy Fasano

• 5.  RE: factory reset some used AP205Hs, and now they will not boot and join my controllers

MVP
    Posted May 12, 2022 03:31 PM
    The console able has a special 4 pin connector to USB, I believe. Your Aruba account SE should be able to assist.

https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/a00100431en_us

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer

• 6.  RE: factory reset some used AP205Hs, and now they will not boot and join my controllers

Posted May 12, 2022 04:53 PM
    It's an AP-CBL-SER JW071A, right? Aruba AP-CBL-SER AP Proprietary DB9 Female Serial Adapter Cable - Newegg.com Knowing what it looks like, I mounted another search of the office and I'm more confident that we don't have one.

I did finally locate the tiny print on the APs and they are definitely IAPs not APs "OAW-IAP205H-US"

It's of course out of stock everywhere! Here's the discussion of building one... AP-CBL-SER - Cable Diagram | Wireless Access (arubanetworks.com)
    (My husband (physics department) says "I can build that -- how hard can it be?!?" If you know physicists, you know that "how hard can that be?" is the physicist version of "hold my beer" so I'd really like to avoid that LOL)

Is the console cable required to do the conversion? I found this knowledge base article How do I convert an Aruba Instant AP to a campus AP? (arubanetworks.com) that talks about a web interface. Is there a process to get into that web interface as an alternative to using the console?

Cathy Fasano

• 7.  RE: factory reset some used AP205Hs, and now they will not boot and join my controllers

Posted May 12, 2022 06:18 PM
    You can definitely build one.  You would need the pin out configuration and I would suggest cutting the end off an existing serial cable.  I'm not sure what your husband has kicking around that will slide onto those pins.  It almost looks like a standard 4 pin computer motherboard connector.  If you had an old pc kicking around, you might be able to find something that fits.  The trick is finding the pinout diagram, we which might be available.  I haven't looked yet.  I don't have one of those cables, otherwise I could just map it out for you.

• 8.  RE: factory reset some used AP205Hs, and now they will not boot and join my controllers

Posted May 12, 2022 06:24 PM
    You should go look at the discussion of building the cable AP-CBL-SER - Cable Diagram | Wireless Access (arubanetworks.com) fun pictures of a cable rigged up with an arduino in the middle if nothing else, LOL. 

...and the complete specs on the cable are at the end of the thread

Cathy Fasano

• 9.  RE: factory reset some used AP205Hs, and now they will not boot and join my controllers

Posted May 12, 2022 06:21 PM
    As for your other question.  As long as you don't need to factory reset them, you should be able to convert via the network.  See if an aruba-instant or similar ssid shows up after it powers on.  If it does, connect a laptop to that ssid and look at your ipconfig info from the command prompt.  Then open a web browser and connect to the gateway that was listed.  I don't recall the default user/password combo but that should be readily available on line.