Location Services

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Location-based mobile app development and Bluetooth-based asset tracking with Meridian. Gathering analytics and business intelligence from Wi-Fi with Analytics and Location Engine (ALE).
Expand all | Collapse all

BLE Beacon rate

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  BLE Beacon rate

Posted Feb 27, 2019 01:14 AM

Hello,

Does anybody know the BLE beacon rate of AP-3xx series?

Which application do you use to analyse BLE traffic?

Background information:

We are testing a 3rd party RTLS care application. On a smartphone an app is installed. When an alarm is made, the smartphone collects all BLE beacon information and sents this to the server. The server has a map of all AP locations and shows the location in the alarm. 

Aruba BLE beacon information is not persistently collected by the smartphone app. Other 3rd party BLE beacons (from other manufacturere as app & server) is shown persistantly.

Thank you in advance!

#ALE
    #LocationServices
    #ArubaTags

• 2.  RE: BLE Beacon rate
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2019 06:56 AM

As far as I know the iBeacon rate on Access Points is 1 per 500ms (2 per second) like the battery powered beaons. I have used an Ubertooth (USB BLE interface) to capture the beacons. There is no application I know of that will do similar although you might find something on Android.

You might find that the AP beacons are broadcasting the same thing with no uniqueness. Without Meridian you cannot adjust this at this point although there is a Feature Request in for this capability.

• 3.  RE: BLE Beacon rate
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 26, 2019 05:12 AM

In the meantime I have ordered and received a BLE sniffer. Today I checked the beacon rate. You are right, every 500ms a broadcast is sent. 

Thank you for your reply

• 4.  RE: BLE Beacon rate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 26, 2019 05:22 AM

Awesome! What sniffer did you get? I am always interested to see what is being used for this purpose.

• 5.  RE: BLE Beacon rate

Posted Mar 26, 2019 05:34 AM

Hi,

We ordered: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2269.

small device with small price, but shows enough information for now :-)

• 6.  RE: BLE Beacon rate

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2019 10:55 PM

sneppie,

I bought one... it's here. I'm having a lot of fun getting it to go on MacOS. Are you using yours on Windows, Linux or Mac?

• 7.  RE: BLE Beacon rate

Posted Apr 24, 2019 01:52 AM

Hi ProbeRequest, I'm using Windows