Location Services

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Location-based mobile app development and Bluetooth-based asset tracking with Meridian. Gathering analytics and business intelligence from Wi-Fi with Analytics and Location Engine (ALE).
Expand all | Collapse all

Using the integrated BLE beacon in Aruba 305 access points without further software

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Using the integrated BLE beacon in Aruba 305 access points without further software

Posted Feb 21, 2019 07:06 AM

I have Aruba 305 access points that correctly broadcast iBeacon frames, but there seems to be no facility to configure the major/minor and UUID settings. Is there any way to do so without Meridian or ALE?

• 2.  RE: Using the integrated BLE beacon in Aruba 305 access points without further software

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2019 01:29 AM

Too my knowledge this is not possible. Meridian is required to configure the UUID major/minor on Access Points and battery beacons.

I have created a feature request for you. I recommend you reach out to your local Aruba Accounts Team so you can discuss this further with them. 

• 3.  RE: Using the integrated BLE beacon in Aruba 305 access points without further software

Posted Feb 22, 2019 05:45 AM

That is a pity. Is there a cheap version of Meridian that does only that configuration? I really just need to set up UUID/Major/Minor, because for the other stuff we have other existing solutions.

• 4.  RE: Using the integrated BLE beacon in Aruba 305 access points without further software
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2019 08:07 AM

At a glance I think the technically correct way to get this capabilty would be to purchase the following product codes:

JZ091AAE

JZ092AAE

This would, however, see you with full map and Blue Dot navigation for up to 100K sqft or 10K sqm (for a year). It would allow you to generate UUID major minor, but you wouldn't have a choice of the UUID.

I will see what else I can find out for you but again I would encourage you to get in touch with your local Account Team. 

• 5.  RE: Using the integrated BLE beacon in Aruba 305 access points without further software

Posted Feb 22, 2019 10:54 AM

Thank you for your efforts. I've priced it up and regardless of the numbers it is always cheaper to purchase a separate iBeacon (not from Aruba) than to use the built-in ones. Are you sales people aware of this?

• 6.  RE: Using the integrated BLE beacon in Aruba 305 access points without further software

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 22, 2019 11:30 AM

There are tons of ibeacons on the market with varying capabilities.  Many of them that nobody would really want to use.

• 7.  RE: Using the integrated BLE beacon in Aruba 305 access points without further software

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 29, 2019 06:42 PM

With AOS 8.4, the team has extended the configuration capabilities from the controller/VC to allow configuration of your APs UUID/Major/Minor/TxPower. You should be able to find the commands in the CLI reference guide.