Location Services

View Only
last person joined: 5 days ago 

Location-based mobile app development and Bluetooth-based asset tracking with Meridian. Gathering analytics and business intelligence from Wi-Fi with Analytics and Location Engine (ALE).
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba ALE / Controller / Licensing

This thread has been viewed 43 times
  • 1.  Aruba ALE / Controller / Licensing

Posted Oct 01, 2019 08:18 AM

Hello All,

In an enviroment where a cusotmer has 500 AP's but only wants location data from 10 AP's which are in public areas can they buy 10 ALE licenses or do we need to licnense for 500?

Also, in a controller enviroment (6.5) does the location data get set from the local or master controller?

• 2.  RE: Aruba ALE / Controller / Licensing

Posted Jan 20, 2020 03:16 PM

did you ever get an answer to this? Looking for ACDX Study material

• 3.  RE: Aruba ALE / Controller / Licensing

Posted Jan 21, 2020 04:03 AM

@yuke1922 wrote:

did you ever get an answer to this? Looking for ACDX Study material

No sorry I didn't.

• 4.  RE: Aruba ALE / Controller / Licensing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 21, 2020 04:23 AM

It is not possbile to get location info only for 10 APs, if 500 APs terminated on controller and this device is added in ALE , all APs count will show up in ALE and client and AP-AP RSSI info will be sent from all APs to ALE.

• 5.  RE: Aruba ALE / Controller / Licensing

Posted Sep 02, 2021 12:19 PM
    Hi!. OK. But what is you have an ALE server with only 50 (the minimum possible) licences on it and then you connect that controller?. How can you "assign" those 50 licences to 50 specific APs of those 500?

------------------------------
    Jose Mesa

• 6.  RE: Aruba ALE / Controller / Licensing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 03, 2021 05:02 AM
    You can't, as mentioned in the reply by Pavan. Feeding data into ALE is configured on a per-controller basis. If you can have those 50 APs on a dedicated controller, enable the feed just on there.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 7.  RE: Aruba ALE / Controller / Licensing

Posted Sep 03, 2021 06:36 AM
    Thank you Hernan. Unfortunately that is not the case. We managed a large (or so I think) Aruba WLAN infrastructure with one instance of MM over 6 physical controllers and about 2.000 APs installed on no less than 30 different buildings. We had interest on collecting certain data from the Presence API available on the ALE server, but just in a very few APs (less than 200) from the total. As far as we can't (we should  not) to segregate those APs from the main infrastructure without compromising the key features it provides (fast roaming, high availability, fast redundancy, dynamic allocation, etc.) the only "official" answer is: you should by 2.000 ALE licences. I don't know if I am the only one who find this absurd, but this is not happening with any other product licences I know even in Aruba (Central, Airwave, etc.). Think that in all of them, including ALE,  the policy is a per AP licence (starting with 50 in ALE, of course), and you then you can assign those licences to the specific APs you want to use with. Get 2000 licences to retrieve the data from 200???. Why not a simple list of desired MACs somewhere in the configuration?

Jose Mesa

• 8.  RE: Aruba ALE / Controller / Licensing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 03, 2021 10:07 AM
    Heard this request a few times, and implementing it would take a big effort as if the controller is sending the data for all of the APs and ALE should then filter what is needed and what is not. Most deployments need to have ALE on all of their APs, or if it was for a part, it is a site that could easily be terminated on a dedicated controller. Understand that is not an option in your case.

You may reach out to your local Aruba Sales team to discuss and see if they know a technical or commercial solution.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 9.  RE: Aruba ALE / Controller / Licensing

Posted Sep 03, 2021 11:18 AM
    In fact, there would be another options and you will not even need to touch a single line of code in ALE. Just defining in the controller/s which 'AP group' could be able to send data to ALE and which not, for example. You say that "most deployments need to have ALE on all of their APs", and I'm just wondering if this is happening because actually this limitation restricts another kind of deployments. 

(We are now in contact with the Aruba Sales team in Spain, indeed).

Jose Mesa