Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

1 out of 3 IAPs don't join the cluster - I've tried a lot

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  1 out of 3 IAPs don't join the cluster - I've tried a lot

Posted 16 days ago

Hello everyone,

I've been reading a lot in this forum for some time and have been able to solve some of my problems with the IAPs. Now I'm dealing with the well-known topic that an IAP doesn't want to join the cluster...

In total I have four IAPS, three of them with RW and one IAP US. They are the outdoor Accesspoints of the 270 series. I know that only IAPs with the same regulatory domain can form a cluster. So I performed a factory reset on all three IAPS RW and connected them one after the other. Two of the IAPs form a cluster without any problems but the third one cannot join the cluster...

I have read many discussions in this forum about this problem but so far nothing has led to a solution.

I've already tried that:

• same regulatory domain
    • same subnet (Layer-2 domain)
    • Auto Join is enable
    • same InstandOS version (8.6.0.23)
    • no standalone 
    • designate an IAP as master
    • static IPs and DHCP IPs

I've already tested a lot and at some point I think there was a message in the logs with "fallback to standalone" but I don't remember the context...

What other options are there or where do I need to look? Thanks for the help!

Greetings! 

Leon

Off topic: converting an IAP US to IAP RW isn't actually possible. Why can I change the regulatory domain with the Hash1 code and the cli-command CCode-RW-"S/N" (IAP US to IAP RW) ?!

• 2.  RE: 1 out of 3 IAPs don't join the cluster - I've tried a lot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 16 days ago

Mixing -US and -RW in the same IAP cluster is very not supported.

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 3.  RE: 1 out of 3 IAPs don't join the cluster - I've tried a lot

Posted 10 days ago

Hello again,

as written above in my post, I know that you can't mix RW and US. I have 3 IAPs RW and out of these three IAPs one doesn't want to join the cluster - that's the problem...

• 4.  RE: 1 out of 3 IAPs don't join the cluster - I've tried a lot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 9 days ago

Sorry, didn't read your message close enough to notice that the mention of a -US and four IAPs was useless information.

Is the third AP an actual IAP or a CAP converted to IAP?  Check the model number on the stickers on the AP.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 5.  RE: 1 out of 3 IAPs don't join the cluster - I've tried a lot

Posted 9 days ago

I looked at the model numbers on the stickers. It is a JW178A (AP-275) and two JW180A (AP-277). All were successfully loaded with the IAP firmware. One of the two AP-277s doesn't want to...

• 6.  RE: 1 out of 3 IAPs don't join the cluster - I've tried a lot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 9 days ago

Yeah, that's not supported.  Intention for that operation is to bring the AP to AOS 10 and management by Central.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 7.  RE: 1 out of 3 IAPs don't join the cluster - I've tried a lot

Posted 8 days ago

Okay, interesting. But why does this work with two Accesspoints?

• 8.  RE: 1 out of 3 IAPs don't join the cluster - I've tried a lot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 8 days ago

No idea.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 9.  RE: 1 out of 3 IAPs don't join the cluster - I've tried a lot

Posted 8 days ago

The conversion turned the APs into normal IAPs...

• 10.  RE: 1 out of 3 IAPs don't join the cluster - I've tried a lot

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 4 days ago

As mentioned: "Yeah, that's not supported.  Intention for that operation is to bring the AP to AOS 10 and management by Central."

If it works for you, then consider yourself lucky. While they may look like 'normal IAPs' they are not, many people reported issues, and that is part of why it's not supported. If you ordered online, I would try to return the equipment and get supported devices.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.