Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

2930F - VSF - VLAN-MAD Understanding Question

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  2930F - VSF - VLAN-MAD Understanding Question

Posted 27 days ago
    Hello everyone,

Hopefully, there's more activity in the English-language forums, and you can help me! :-)

I hope you can assist me with a small understanding question regarding VSF - VLAN-MAD.
    I've just set up a VSF with 2x2930G switches - both switches are connected via 10GBit DAC on ports 25 & 26.

Now everywhere it says that you should also configure the VLAN-MAD, okay - done that - VLAN 999 on port 1/24 & 2/24 and directly connected via Cat-7.

However, what I don't quite understand - is the MAD really needed in such a 2-switch configuration? If one switch fails, both the VSF interfaces and the MAD interface are gone. If one DAC fails, there's still the other...

Am I overlooking some other function of the VLAN-MAD here, or would it actually not be needed in this type of configuration?

Thank you very much, greetings from Tyrol
    Andreas

• 2.  RE: 2930F - VSF - VLAN-MAD Understanding Question

MVP GURU
    Posted 27 days ago

Hi!

"Now everywhere it says that you should also configure the VLAN-MAD, okay - done that - VLAN 999 on port 1/24 & 2/24 and directly connected via Cat-7."

Technically speaking the main purpose of the MAD is Split Brain (scenario) mitigation and this mitigation could happen using some methods (VLAN MAD is just one of them for VSF technology deployed on ArubaOS-Switch), the VSF Best Practice reports that VLAN MAD should be deployed using a third party switch (which act as an external-to-VSF switch through which the MAD dedicated VLAN and the MAD mechanisms of VSF act permitting the VSF Members to recognize the VSF topology, say "allowing discovery of other members in the event of a VSF split").

You interlinked your two VSF members directly together...not through a 3rd party device (supposedly always available, up and running).

• 3.  RE: 2930F - VSF - VLAN-MAD Understanding Question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 26 days ago

Here is the reference for Multiple Active Detection (MAD)

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.
    ------------------------------