Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

4 Pairs of Aruba CX 6400 connectivity

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  4 Pairs of Aruba CX 6400 connectivity

Posted 24 days ago

Hi Everyone,

We have a situation where we need to link two server rooms in which we have One Server room in Building A and the other one in Building B. The two buildings are linked with Fiber.

in Building A, we have two pairs of CX6400 which are configured with VSX, There is one Interface Vlan with active gateway configured, and number of layer 2 vlans.  Number of access switches are connected.

In building B, we have another pair of CX6400 which are configured with VSX,There is one Interface Vlan with active gateway configured, and number of layer 2 vlans.  Number of access switches are connected. 

now we need to consider Building A as core and Building B as Distribution,  the connection between them need to be layer 2, however when we connected them with one fiber , we can see the switch when running the command show LLDP, but the vlans are not working, we have vlan 100, but is not pinging. Can you please support or suggest the solution and configuration

• 2.  RE: 4 Pairs of Aruba CX 6400 connectivity

MVP GURU
    Posted 24 days ago
    Hi, 4 pairs of CX 6400 (deployed as VSX) mean 8 switches thus 4 VSX clusters...or are you saying you are dealing with two VSX clusters, one VSX deployed into Site A and the other deployed into Site B?

By the way I believe that, reading what you described, you are trying to move from an "as-is scenario" in which each site owns its particular IP router which is routing its directly connected VLANs (VSX on Site A acts as the router for Site A's VLANs - Network Segments and VSX on Site B acts as the router for Site B's VLANs - Network Segments) to a "to-be scenario" in which both sites will use to just one particular IP router (placed on Site A only) which should route all the directly connected VLANs both of Site A and of Site B (provided that those not overlap) thus demoting VSX on Site B to act just as a Layer 2 cluster, is it correct?

• 3.  RE: 4 Pairs of Aruba CX 6400 connectivity

Posted 24 days ago

Yes you are right,I mean 2 Pairs of VSX clusters, and wanted to move from as-is Scenario to "to-be"

• 4.  RE: 4 Pairs of Aruba CX 6400 connectivity

MVP GURU
    Posted 24 days ago
    Then you need to move all the SVIs which are defined on VSX Cluster on site B to the VSX on Site A (when the IP routing happens, where Active Gateway IP addresses are) ensuring that the uplink between VSX on Site A and VSX on Site B is allowed to carry all relevant VLAN IDs which are defined intovthe VSX Cluster on Site B (their routing moved to VSX on Site A so no SVI will remain on VSX Cluster on Site B).

• 5.  RE: 4 Pairs of Aruba CX 6400 connectivity

Posted 23 days ago
    Thanks for your reply, but if I need to have management IP of the switch for example Vlan 100 available in Site B VSX pair, both Switches will have single IP, do I need to make active gateway? 

Thanks

• 6.  RE: 4 Pairs of Aruba CX 6400 connectivity

MVP GURU
    Posted 23 days ago
    I believe that you just need to assign IPs to SVI on VLAN 100 without activating the AG function on that VLAN on the VSX Cluster on  Site B, you just need to reach each VSX member on Site B...not activating IP routing on it.

• 7.  RE: 4 Pairs of Aruba CX 6400 connectivity

Posted 23 days ago

Thanks I did this but I still have issues, it is stuck, there is no Vlan working there between the two sites. Can you advice config, or do we need to make any specific spanning Tree configuration, 

• 8.  RE: 4 Pairs of Aruba CX 6400 connectivity

MVP GURU
    Posted 23 days ago
    Suppose you have your workstation on a access port untagged on VLAN 100 connected via/to VSX Cluster on Site A (so VLAN 100 is active) say with IP .253 (here I suppose VLAN 100 is a /24 bit network segment), Site A VSX Primary has an IP on VLAN 100 (say .1), Site A VSX Secondary has an IP on VLAN 100 (say .2), AG on Site VSX Cluster has an IP on VLAN 100 (say .254)...and...downlink to the other VSX Cluster on Site B allow VLAN 100 (e.g. tagged <- so it is on both VSX ends)...then you just need to configure Site B VSX Primary with an IP on VLAN 100 (say .3), Site B VSX Secondary with an IP on VLAN 100 (say .4)...given that you should be able to succesfully ping .1, .2, .254 (residing on Site A) and .3, .4 (residing on Site B) from .253 and vice-versa.