Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

615 APS with with 6ghz on

This thread has been viewed 35 times
  • 1.  615 APS with with 6ghz on

Posted Jan 29, 2024 03:03 PM

hello I have  a question 

I have a ssid with 6ghz support and a psk 

But let's say I want to connect to an old device that just supports wpa2, I though he would try to connect to the 5ghz because he is unable to see the 6ghz channel with the psk transition option but it's not happening its just can't connect 

The WPA 3 devices can connect without issues but the ones that do not support it cannot

Any idea why this is happening? it should connect to the BSSID of 5ghz or 2.4ghz I think or I'm wrong?

• 2.  RE: 615 APS with with 6ghz on

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 29, 2024 03:30 PM

You will need to use WPA3-Personal in transition mode in order to support 6 GHz operation (WPA3 only) and mixed mode (WPA2/WPA3) in 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.

If the old client doesn't connect to WPA3-Personal transition mode, you will have to use a WPA2-Personal only network for the legacy client. 

------------------------------
    Josh

• 3.  RE: 615 APS with with 6ghz on

Posted Feb 01, 2024 09:11 AM

Hello

So it depends on the client?

It works in some WPA2-only clients that do not support WPA3 and other legacy that are WPA2-only and cannot connect.?

I just want to be clear if I understood correctly

• 4.  RE: 615 APS with with 6ghz on

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2024 09:22 AM

Yes. WPA3-Personal in Transition Mode allows the client to negotiate based on what it supports. WPA2 or WPA3.

The majority of legacy WPA2-only clients have no issues with WPA3-Personal in Transition Mode (which advertises AKMs for both PSK and SAE) and will negotiate as WPA2 clients.

Josh

• 5.  RE: 615 APS with with 6ghz on

Posted Feb 28, 2024 12:02 AM

is there a command i can run in which I can see on the instant well it has an issue with wpa3 even if its on transition mode? like a command which give me an error or something just to see it?

guess maybe the show ap debug tracebuff {mac} or something like that maybe or there are others that can help me to see that there is a problem with this legacy laptop

Thanks

• 6.  RE: 615 APS with with 6ghz on

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2024 12:21 AM

For connected clients try show clients debug advanced which adds a unicast_encr_alg column which will indicate if the client is using WPA2-PSK or WPA3-SAE in this context.

show ap debug auth-trace-buf mac <mac> to show the trace buffer info for a specific MAC address for authentication events associated with the IAP.

Josh

• 7.  RE: 615 APS with with 6ghz on

Posted Feb 28, 2024 01:32 AM

Hello  thanks for the reply schmelzle, but I don't think the first command will work because it just doesn't connect so I can't see any client connected or anything

I was planning to run tomorrow the second one already but if there are more commands I can run to check if the user can't connect or a command that will give me a reason why is not connecting let me know

Thanks

• 8.  RE: 615 APS with with 6ghz on

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2024 08:00 AM

show ap association

show ap debug mgmt-frames

show log user-debug

show log security

Josh

• 9.  RE: 615 APS with with 6ghz on

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 28, 2024 08:09 AM

Also try doing an OTA packet capture while connecting the problematic client.

If you don't have a capture device, you can use the pcap start <options> command on the target AP to start a packet capture and send the results to a packet analyzer on a remote device.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/CLI-Bank/Content/instant/pcap.htm

Josh