Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

7210 - change gig to ten gig

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  7210 - change gig to ten gig

Posted Mar 21, 2023 10:26 AM

Hello folks - currently we have a pair of 7210 controllers. They have one port channel 1 configured using the copper gig ports 0/1.

I'm looking at moving the controllers to use a pair of the ten gig ports instead. Switch side, I've already created the corresponding port channels (which match the current ones in use).

• Can I just add the ten gig ports to the current port channel in use (on both sides) and then remove the gig ports? This theoretically would result in no disruption.
    • If the above is not supported, would I just simply make the changes in the startup config and reboot the controller? If not what would the procedure be like?

Relevant code from config - I would simply move "lacp group 1 mode passive" to the ten gig interfaces.

interface gigabitethernet 0/0/0
        description "GE0/0/0"
        trusted
        trusted vlan 1-4094
        no poe
        switchport mode trunk
        switchport trunk native vlan 210
        lacp group 1 mode passive

interface gigabitethernet 0/0/1
        description "GE0/0/1"
        trusted
        trusted vlan 1-4094
        no poe
        switchport mode trunk
        lacp group 1 mode passive

interface port-channel 1
        trusted
        trusted vlan 1-4094
        switchport mode trunk

------------------------------
    ---
    °(((=((===°°°(((=================================

• 2.  RE: 7210 - change gig to ten gig

MVP
    Posted Mar 21, 2023 11:18 AM

I would build the port-channel on both sides, but leave it shut down on the switch. When you're ready to transition, shut the 1G port-channel at the switch, and no shut the 10G port-channel at the switch and verify reachability. 

If it doesn't work right, just reverse the steps & you should be back. I would use a new port-channel group for new instead of trying to re-use, that way you could build it all out and just need to turn up the links.

Michael Haring

• 3.  RE: 7210 - change gig to ten gig

Posted Mar 22, 2023 07:51 AM

Hi, I don't think you can add different speeds in the same port-channel(you'll likely get a traffic disruption), you should use a new lacp port-channel like @mharing  said and when you are ready either change cables or turn on the port-channel in the switch.

I hope this helps

• 4.  RE: 7210 - change gig to ten gig

Posted Mar 22, 2023 10:00 AM
    Thank you and a couple of follow up questions.
    If I set up a new PC and turn it on/off from the switch side, is there anything in the controller's config that references which PC to use?  
    Also, the controllers are MM managed, but the PC configuration is done at the controllers themselves, right?
    Thanks in advance - Ricardo.

---
    °(((=((===°°°(((=================================

• 5.  RE: 7210 - change gig to ten gig

Posted Mar 23, 2023 08:22 AM

Hi, regarding your questions:

1.- You configure a diferent Port-channel in lacp in the controllers, let's says Pc-3, then you assigned the 10G interfaces to that Pc-3. In your switch, could be any number for it's local port-channel. If both sides are configured correctly the lacp should come up once you "no shutdown" in the switch side.

2.- You can configure the new port-channel and the ports assigned to it at a level the controllers belong to, not necesarly at the controller it self. 

I hope this helps

• 6.  RE: 7210 - change gig to ten gig

Posted Mar 23, 2023 04:16 PM

I just did this for a 7240XM using  LACP PO1 with 1gig interface members. I created a new port-channel PO2 with 10 gig members in the controller. Like Ulises said once you are ready, just shut interfaces on the switch side where the 1 gig interfaces are and enable the 10 gig interfaces. Make sure all the VLANs are tagged or has the same config as the old interfaces. 

• 7.  RE: 7210 - change gig to ten gig

Posted Mar 24, 2023 08:35 AM
    Thanks everyone. 

As suggested, I created the new port channels on both ends exactly like the original ones and kept them shut on the switch side until ready to go. Once cabling was all connected, I shut down the 1gb port channel on the switch and no shut the 10gig one. Took about 10 seconds or less for the controllers to start responding to ping requests. All APs they were handling failed over to the other one and no apparent disruption.

Ricardo.

--
    °(((=((===°°°(((================================================