Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AAA port-authentication, other devices

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  AAA port-authentication, other devices

Posted Sep 15, 2022 11:41 AM
    Let's say I have AAA port-authentication enabled on a switch port.  

On that port, I connect a Netgear or any other managed switch, then I connect a laptop or AP into the Netgear switch ports.

What will happen?

• 2.  RE: AAA port-authentication, other devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 16, 2022 08:56 AM
    That depends on the switch (that is doning the aaa port-authentication), as in brand, operating system, as well as the configuration.

In most switches you can configure what should happen, like authenticate each individual client, just the first, and what you would like to do with additional clients (allow, reject, put the port in disabled mode).

Also it depends on the switch you connect, and its configuration. It may 'eat' the 802.1X EAPoL frames, or pass it.

Let me be clear that you should not do such a thing, always have the port authentication happen on the port where end-devices are connected.

And to answer your question there are too many variables to provide a simple answer.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------