Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Access Points Disappearing from Controller

This thread has been viewed 44 times
  • 1.  Access Points Disappearing from Controller

Posted 10 days ago

In my MM/MC version 8.10.0.8 LSR

I have 2 access points that have disappeared. I don't have a physical list of installed AP's (wish I did) but I know for sure we had the number we had.

I have looked in the inventory in cli but it shows the current number. What is happening? If they are powered off wouldn't they show at least in the inventory?

Is there a way to search old inventory? How long do AP's stay in the inventory before they are removed? Are they ever removed?

We currently have 297 AP's and it sounds like I have to do some foot work to find powered off AP's.

• 2.  RE: Access Points Disappearing from Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 10 days ago

Did you check the AP databases using the CLI on the individual controllers?

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 3.  RE: Access Points Disappearing from Controller

Posted 10 days ago

Oh wow, didn't think anyone would reply so quickly.

Yes, I checked the database and I still only see 297 of the 299.

• 4.  RE: Access Points Disappearing from Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 10 days ago

I've not seen APs being removed from the AP database without user intervention.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 5.  RE: Access Points Disappearing from Controller

Posted 10 days ago

I've had down APs since 8.5 through 8.10.0.9 disappear from the database without manual intervention. Never saw this behavior in AOS 6.X.

• 6.  RE: Access Points Disappearing from Controller

Posted 9 days ago

As soon as an AP finds the mobility controller, it registers in the AP database and is displayed with "show ap database". If the AP is off, it is still displayed with the status "down". An AP does not disappear from the AP database automatically unless it is deleted by the admin.

Are the APs in the same IP subnets as the controller? Or are they L3 connected and using L3 discovery? Is it possible that the 2 missing APs did not find the controller? In this case, these APs convert to instant mode and no longer search for the controller.

Regards,

Waldemar
    ACCX # 1377, ACEP, ACX - Network Security
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 7.  RE: Access Points Disappearing from Controller

Posted 9 days ago

The missing AP's are likely not in the same subnet but I cannot determine this because I don't exactly know which ones are missing. Like I said before, an inventory of the AP's was not generated until after I noticed the number of AP's went down by two.

I'm going to rule out that the AP's were deleted from the database. I just don't see that happening in my office.

I'm not familiar with instant mode.

Its beginning to sound like I have to do a physical search for the down AP's

None of this would be an issue if we kept track of the AP's in the beginning.

• 8.  RE: Access Points Disappearing from Controller

Posted 9 days ago

Just found this:

So, does this tell me that the mobility master registered 299 AP's? Also the 303 number is kinda of a mystery too. I am aware of access points in our environment that are not provisioned or even powered on. They are not included in the 299. Why is this not in the database? Where is this number coming from?

• 9.  RE: Access Points Disappearing from Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 9 days ago

That's licensing.  You have 303 AP/PEF/RFP licenses installed, 297 are currently in use.  MM licenses are consumed for each managed device, which includes the controllers, from what you are showing I'm going to guess that you have two controllers.

Just to verify, you ran show ap database on the individual controllers, right?  Not just the MCR?

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 10.  RE: Access Points Disappearing from Controller

Posted 9 days ago

Yes, we have two controllers.

I ran the command on both controllers and got the same result on both, "Total APs:297"

I assume that each controller serves a specific amount of AP's but when I ran the command I always get the total number.

Is there a way to see unlicensed ap's? Is that what the database is suppose to show?

• 11.  RE: Access Points Disappearing from Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 9 days ago

Assuming you are running a cluster, the AP database should be the same on both controllers under normal circumstances.  Normally the database will have record of any/all APs that have provisioning information.

If you have CPSec enabled you can run show allowlist-db cpsec to see all of the APs that have been allowlisted, but that list may not be of particular use to you.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 12.  RE: Access Points Disappearing from Controller

Posted 9 days ago

That might help...

I get 301 entries but the allowlist only shows the mac address. I might be able to compare to the current list I have.

Is there a way to generate a csv of the AP's along with there mac addresses? I can't seem to find a way if it exist.

• 13.  RE: Access Points Disappearing from Controller

Posted 9 days ago
    Show ap database long in the CLI and use Python TextFSM. I believe you will get either a dictionary or list that you can use CSV to get CSV output.

• 14.  RE: Access Points Disappearing from Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 9 days ago

Turn off the output paging with no paging before a show command to avoid the interruptions.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 15.  RE: Access Points Disappearing from Controller

Posted 8 days ago

It looks like I'm going to have to foot it! I have mac addresses. I tried looking at mac tables but I forgot that they might be deleted from the table by now.

Thanks for all the help! If you guys know anything else I can do I would appreciate it.