Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Access switches features

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Access switches features

Posted Feb 27, 2024 02:17 AM

Hi All,

I wonder if you can help me in this inquiry; My company are in process to implement new network equipment. The consultant as for the below requirement to be included in the Access switching level "The device should support SSL Inspection Throughput of 12 Gbps, with IPS enabled (tested with HTTP traffic, using TLS v1.2 with AES128-SHA256).". For the first time in my life I hear someone asking for SSL inspection on the Access level! is this available on Aruba Access switches? 

• 2.  RE: Access switches features

MVP GURU
    Posted Feb 27, 2024 06:38 AM
    Hi! I would turn that question back to the consultant: are access switches firewalls?

• 3.  RE: Access switches features

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 27, 2024 07:11 AM

I'd say its very uncommon to do SSL decryption in access switches, and with these numbers/scale it will be a very expensive solution. In larger networks, and with tunnel technology (Dynamic Segmentation, VXLAN) you could add security features in fewer locations to keep the cost down. I see SSL inspection also as a technology that is going away as newer versions of SSL are fixing the vulnerabilities that make SSL man-in-the-middle possible; although for the reason of SSL inspection that is still under discussion.

This almost sounds like there is one single product in the market that has such specifications (given the details like 12 Gbps) and exclude all other products. I would not even know a device that have such features in an access switch, nor what you would use it for.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------