Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Active/Standby model with MM

This thread has been viewed 40 times
  • 1.  Active/Standby model with MM

Posted Sep 23, 2022 09:23 AM

Hi Arubers,

I am currently adding 2x MM-5K to control 2x pairs of WIFI controllers.
    My question is the following : Is it possible to add these controllers to MM-5K and keep 1:1 Active/standby Deployment model ?
    Ideally, for routing reasons, I would prefer to not use active/active model. Documentation doesn't explicitely explain this configuration, only active/active clusters are presented.

Thanks a lot for your help.

JB.

• 2.  RE: Active/Standby model with MM

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 24, 2022 09:11 AM
    You can just deploy them as standalone controllers managed by the MMs. Point LMS to one controller, and B-LMS to the other. Its when you cluster the controllers that they are considered Active/Active in the sense of Load balancing APs and Clients, and seamless failovers.

------------------------------
    Dustin Burns

Lead Mobility Engineer @Worldcom Exchange, Inc.

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2022
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: Active/Standby model with MM

Posted Sep 28, 2022 06:37 AM
    Thanks a lot for the answer.

Which benefits are losed when standalone controllers are added to Mobility Conductors architecture ?
    Is it possible to manage them with groups configuration, is licencing centralized ?

And do you thing an official documentataion is existing with this configuration ?

• 4.  RE: Active/Standby model with MM

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 28, 2022 07:02 AM
    See here for a guide. I would use the latest 8.10 release as this is the newest long term support release: https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS-8.x-Books/810/ArubaOS-8.10.0.0-User-Guide.pdf

When you cluster thee two controllers together, you  gain features like Live Upgrades, Seamless/Hitless Client and AP failover, user and AP load balancing, etc.. See here for more info: https://community.arubanetworks.com/browse/articles/blogviewer?blogkey=54ec9e55-b5ff-4afe-bb51-dad92bbd44f0

Licenses are centralized on the Mobility Master/Conductor, and can even be configured in pools of licenses. By default all licenses are shared to everything managed by the MMs. If you want to control what devices or groups of devices get what amount of licenses, set up Pooling. Link here for more info: https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_801_Web_Help/Content/LicenseGuide/Cluster_Preconfig.htm

The AOSv8 configuration is configured in a hierarchy. You can create folders to separate "configuration groups". Each directory inherits configuration from the directory above. For instance, if you want a global SSID, configure it at the WEI level. If you want a branch only SSID deployed, configure it at the branch level. If you want to change the VLAN that the Branch SSID uses at Branch-01, configure it at the device level (Branch-01) 

Dustin Burns

• 5.  RE: Active/Standby model with MM

Posted Sep 28, 2022 07:17 AM
    Thanks a lot Dustin.

And for the hierarchy, is it possible with standalone controllers added to MM ?

• 6.  RE: Active/Standby model with MM

MVP GURU
    Posted Sep 28, 2022 07:54 AM
    Adding the controllers to a Mobility Master just changes where you would configure the device. You can still deploy a controller on an MM and have it act on its own without any clustering. This way you only have one place to go to configure your environment, instead of visiting each controller to configure.

Dustin Burns

• 7.  RE: Active/Standby model with MM

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 29, 2022 05:32 AM
    I want to take this opportunity to mention that the "hierarchy" benefit is mainly for multi-state or multinational corporations that want to make exceptions at the container level.  For most customers, they can just create a folder under MD for all of their configuration (greatly recommended) and create ap-groups for different areas.  This is advantageous, because you do not then have to try to figure out what folder all of your configuration is located in.

With regards to your two controllers, you can deploy both controllers to the same folder and they will have the same configuration except for specific things like ip interfaces, hostnames etc.  Like @DB86 said you can then use two ap-groups:  one that points the LMS-IP in the AP system profile to the controller and one that uses a different LMS-IP in a second AP system profile to point to the second controller.  Why would you choose to cluster, instead of separating access points manually?  Administrative overhead.  Clustering will automatically distribute access points and clients among two controllers assuming that they have access to the same layer 2 client vlans.  That eliminates the headache of constantly trying to balance resources between two devices that you have paid for.  If the two controllers have different client VLANs, that would be a reason to not cluster and manage them individually as was mentioned above.​

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 8.  RE: Active/Standby model with MM

Posted Oct 06, 2022 07:34 AM

You wishes to keep the active/standby after adding two MM,

undermine the actual concept of the solution,

I cannot see any practical use.

The whole concept of: active, is just tatt, there is no more active/standby..

meaning it always; is active :), and the AP's moves freely between your controllers..

Even when upgrading, .

• 9.  RE: Active/Standby model with MM

Posted Oct 06, 2022 08:04 AM
    Hello Steinar.

The practical use could be for a secondary DC natively designed to be standby.
    In this case, if we don't want to load inter-DC links, it can be interesting to only use primary controller. 

But i'm agree, as much as possible, it is better to use cluster mode with "md" controllers.

• 10.  RE: Active/Standby model with MM

Posted Oct 06, 2022 08:11 AM

Ok, but it is hard to "see" your topology,
    but an active (backup) working; is always better than a standby backup, who maybe workingJ