Aruba Apps

View Only
last person joined: 4 days ago 

The HPE Aruba Networking Apps board is designed to address questions, comments, and feature requests for all HPE Aruba Networking mobile Apps
Expand all | Collapse all

Add new physical controller with existing one

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Add new physical controller with existing one

Posted Nov 14, 2022 12:32 PM
    Hello 

we have the following scenario:

we have 2 Physical controller Aruba6000-US model that are running approx. 200 APs 215 model

We got a new Aruba7205-US that we would like to add approx. 200 ap 515 that will replace the 215 models. 

How can we proceed to smoothly add the new controllers to our network without impacting the current setup. 

Thank you for your help,

Hani,

• 2.  RE: Add new physical controller with existing one

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 14, 2022 03:49 PM
    Hi Hani,

AFAIK the Aruba6000-US is end-of-support and can run max. software version 6.4.x.
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/end-of-life/

The AP-515 AP can run ArubaOS and Aruba InstantOS 8.4.0.0 (with some restrictions). For unrestricted operation, use 8.6.0.0 or later.
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP510Series.pdf

Therefor i think you can't add the 7210 controller to a 6000 controller due firmware mismatch.

But you can do a clean installation of the 7210 within the same vlan, same ap-group naming, but with new management IP adresses. And user the LMS IP to move your AP-215 to the new controller and after that replace the AP-215 for AP-515 one by one.

Another maybe better approach is to clean install the 7210 in a separate management vlan and just install the AP-515 without first migrate the AP-215. But it depends on what is possible for your environment.

Let see if others agree or have a other opinion @Herman Robers

With this kind of migrations the best is to work with your local Aruba Partner for best result.

------------------------------
    Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2022 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own

• 3.  RE: Add new physical controller with existing one

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2022 07:44 AM
    If you have 200 215s now on the 6000 controller (that thing is old by the way, long time ago that I have seen one in real), and want to move to the 7205 with 200x AP515, the following would work:
    - Replicate or rebuild the same configuration that you have today on the 6000/6.x firmware to your 7205 with AOS8.10 LSR.
    - Move the AP215s, first one or two to make sure everything works, to the 7205.
    - Once the AP215s are running on the new controller, replace the APs by 515s.

In this way, the time you have both controller running in the same deployment is minimized, and you have a backout scenario by moving back the AP215s to the 6000 if thing go terribly wrong. The AP replacement can then be done without outage if you have enough coverage to compensate for one or few APs missing during the swap.

For such a replacement, it is always good to work with your Aruba partner to plan, test and troubleshoot when needed.
    Please validate my approach before executing as I may have overlooked things that are specific for your deployment. I can't give any guarantees.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 4.  RE: Add new physical controller with existing one

Posted Nov 17, 2022 12:47 PM

If CPSEC is enable,  He will not be able ro revert back the AP the 6.5.
    The Ipsec encryption used in some of the 8.x version above 8.6 XX does not allow the AP talk to the 6.5 controller to downgrade back.

If you disable CPSEC on AOS8 before you failover it will work.