Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Adding an IAP to existing cluster of 18 IAPs

This thread has been viewed 39 times
  • 1.  Adding an IAP to existing cluster of 18 IAPs

Posted Jul 31, 2022 02:28 AM
    Hello Everyone,
    We have a cluster of 18 IAPs (305 & 505) with virtual controller IP 172.16.10.20/24. Firmware version is 8.9.0.2_83074. Out of that one IAP (172.16.10.21) is the conductor IAP.
    We have another cluster of single AP (IAP 305) with same firmware version & IP is 172.16.10.26/24. So we want to add this single AP to existing cluster of 18 IAPs.

Please guide & help. Kindly check attached images.

Regards,
    Nirav Patel

• 2.  RE: Adding an IAP to existing cluster of 18 IAPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 31, 2022 03:59 AM
    All you have to do is add the single IAP to the same VLAN as the other 18 IAPs.
    in order for them to be part of cluster, they should have layer 2 adjacency.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Adding an IAP to existing cluster of 18 IAPs

Posted Aug 01, 2022 01:11 AM
    Hello, yes all access points are in same VLANs and subnet is also same.
    That single AP is also in the same VLAN.

Regards,
    Nirav Patel

• 4.  RE: Adding an IAP to existing cluster of 18 IAPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 01, 2022 02:14 AM
    if  thats the case then it should have joined the cluster unless you have
    - disabled auto join mode. on the cluster
    - or the single AP is in standalone mode

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 5.  RE: Adding an IAP to existing cluster of 18 IAPs

Posted Aug 01, 2022 11:29 PM
    Hello,
    I think that AP is running as standalone AP. So can you please guide me for further process?

Regards,
    Nirav Patel

• 6.  RE: Adding an IAP to existing cluster of 18 IAPs

Posted Aug 01, 2022 11:35 PM
    Hello Ariyap,
           I checked on cluster of 18IAPs that Auto Join Mode is enabled.  Single AP is in same VLAN and in same IP range. Single AP might be running as standalone AP. So how can I solve that? I have to reset the single AP?

Regards,
    Nirav Patel

• 7.  RE: Adding an IAP to existing cluster of 18 IAPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 02, 2022 02:44 AM
    you can convert the standalone AP to Instant AP by factory resetting.
    you can factory reset any Instant AP by pressing and holding (for 5 sec) the reset button (with a paper clip) while connecting the power (poe cable or power adapter).

• 8.  RE: Adding an IAP to existing cluster of 18 IAPs

Posted Aug 02, 2022 04:50 AM

Have you confirmed that it is an IAP and not a CAP.

If you can find out it's IP address then you'll be able to connect to it on the console or web interface.

Once it has had a factory reset, you'll be able to use the default login.

Regards, Ewan.

This email and any attachments it may contain are confidential and solely intended for the use of the named addressee(s) only. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Qolcom. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email in error and that you should not rely on it or take any action based on it. You should not publish, use, disseminate, print, forward or copy this email as it is strictly prohibited. Please contact the sender if you have received this email in error and destroy it.

• 9.  RE: Adding an IAP to existing cluster of 18 IAPs

Posted Aug 01, 2022 04:08 AM
    Hi Nirav,
    As you are adding an AP of the same type/family as the ones that yiu currently have running, al you need to do is :-

Have it on the same L2 Network (VLAN) as the existing VC.
    Make sure that the software is the same version as the current APs or OLDER  - it won't join if it is newer.
    Double check that it isn't running in stand alone mode.

Reboot the new AP - or disconnected the power - and it should join the existing cluster when it comes back up.

Regards,
     Ewan.

• 10.  RE: Adding an IAP to existing cluster of 18 IAPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2022 07:43 PM
    here is the AP discovery logic flow.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_810_WebHelp/Content/instant-ug/custom-iap-param/ap-disc-logic.htm