Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aggregate Ethernet on Palo Alto to 8320 CX Series

This thread has been viewed 29 times
  • 1.  Aggregate Ethernet on Palo Alto to 8320 CX Series

Posted 23 days ago

I have been working on this one for the last few days. I saw a post from some time ago when someone did it with Comware/ HPE device and I tried to mimic it with no luck.

I have a Palo Alto that I have an aggregate ethernet set up on. On my switch it connects to, I have my VLAN, the interface VLAN, and the port configured as a trunk with just the interfaces then I tried it with a LAG. What I see is that the Palo Alto says it is up, but my switch says it is down and I cannot ping the IP I am using on the AE on the Palo Alto. This is what I have done on the switch side:

VLAN 2

description Palo Alto AE

interface vlan 2

description Palo Alto AE

ip address 10.2.2.2/24

ip ospf 1 10.2.2.2

interface 1/1/1

description Palo Alto AE

vlan trunk native 1

vlan trunk allowed 1,2

This showed up on the switch for a little bit until I started trying to ping it. When it didn't ping I rolled the fiber then tried and still got nothing and then rolled it back and the port showed down so I tried as a LAG:

interface lag 2

description Palo Alo AE

vlan trunk native 1

vlan trunk allowed 1,2

lacp mode active.

I still was unable to ping the IP of the AE on the Palo Alto. I am not sure whether I need a LAG or a just using the interfaces would be ok or maybe I am going about this the wrong way?

• 2.  RE: Aggregate Ethernet on Palo Alto to 8320 CX Series

MVP GURU
    Posted 23 days ago
    Hi! a LAG is a logical interface made of two (or more) physical interfaces sharing some characteristics and thus acting as LAG member interfaces. Then the LAG acts like a physical interface regarding to (but not limited of) VLAN membership.

This is true on Aruba CX switch side and on Palo Alto firewall side.

So the question: are you able to check that you correctly configured a LAG on each side and those LAGs were build using physical interfaces sharing same characteristics (say, all 1G optical or all 10G optical, as example)?

This will let you to verify that Layer 1 and 2 is OK and then you can focus on Layer 3, eventually.

• 3.  RE: Aggregate Ethernet on Palo Alto to 8320 CX Series

Posted 23 days ago

Hi, just to confirm the CX config, here is a working example of a LAG that connects to a PA firewall.

interface lag 3
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 390
        vlan trunk allowed 390
        lacp mode active
        exit

An "ae" or aggregate ethernet interface on the PA is a LACP setup. Two physicals, one logical.

I see you don't have a no shut on your example. Worth checking with the config above.

If that still doesn't work this is most likely because of a config issue on the PA side. I recall the config wasn't straight forward/logical. See what happens with the above config and paste the interface, lag and show-interface-lag output.

Don't think about L3 until the LAG shows up.

• 4.  RE: Aggregate Ethernet on Palo Alto to 8320 CX Series

Posted 22 days ago

This is all my configurations on the switch side of things:

VLAN 2

description Agg to PAN

interface VLAN 2

no shutdown

no routing

description Agg to PAN

ip address 10.2.2.2/24

ip ospf 1 10.2.2.2

interface lag 2

description Agg to PAN

no shutdown

no routing

vlan trunk native 2

vlan trunk allowed 2

lacp mode active

exit

int 1/1/1

description Agg to PAN

no shutdown

speed 1000-full

lag 2

exit

interface 1/1/2

description Agg to PAN

speed 1000-full

lag 2

exit

This is the output of the show interface lag 2:

Aggregate lag2 is down
     Admin state is up
     State information : Disabled by LACP or LAG
     Description : Agg to PAN
     MAC Address                 : 88:3a:30:5e:96:38
     Aggregated-interfaces       : 1/1/911/1/2
     Aggregation-key             : 2
     Aggregate mode              : active
     Speed                       : 0 Mb/s
     qos trust dscp
     VLAN Mode: native-untagged
     Native VLAN: 2
     Allowed VLAN List: 2
     L3 Counters: Rx Disabled, Tx Disabled
     Statistic                          RX                   TX                Total
     ---------------- -------------------- -------------------- --------------------
     Packets                             0                20089                20089
       Unicast                           0                   10                   10
       Multicast                         0                18626                18626
       Broadcast                         0                 1453                 1453
     Bytes                               0              2199543              2199543
     Jumbos                              0                    0                    0
     Dropped                             0                    0                    0
     Filtered                            0                    0                    0
     Pause Frames                        0                    0                    0
     Errors                              0                    0                    0
       CRC/FCS                           0                  n/a                    0
       Collision                       n/a                    0                    0
       Runts                             0                  n/a                    0
       Giants                            0                  n/a                    0
    I am was still not able to ping the IP address I am using for the Agg Interface on the PAN though. I did change it from vlan trunk native 2/ vlan trunk allowed 2 to vlan access 2 and it shows as up on the switch and on the PAN, but still wasn't able to ping the  IP on that Agg Interface on the PAN. I think it is something on the PAN, I am not very familiar with them, but when I was looking at it, there is a tab for LACP and it was not enabled.
    Going back to Parnassus, I set the speed to that on the interfaces because on the PAN that is what they were set to as well. 

• 5.  RE: Aggregate Ethernet on Palo Alto to 8320 CX Series

Posted 22 days ago

the config on the switch  look good, have got two 8325 configure as VSX with  interface lag  multi-chassis configure and connect to two FortiGate 3300E with no issue

am not familiar with Palo Alto it's best to check with the supplier.

• 6.  RE: Aggregate Ethernet on Palo Alto to 8320 CX Series

Posted 18 days ago

So this part of a VSX Cluster. I was only going to use one of the switches at first since I needed to free up some of the ethernet ports on the firewall, but this weekend I attempted to set it up on the VSX cluster.

This is how I have it configured with VSX going. I still see the same result though. I am using single mode patch cables, LV transceivers which should work with the single mode, On the PAN in the tab with the settings I have link speed, link duplex and link state all set to auto. I changed the speed on the switch to auto like Parnassus had mentioned as well. I was reading the documentation for PAN and it does look like it is set up correectly. The one thing I noticed was that the LACP was not enable on the PAN side, I did try that and still was not able to ping the IP of the agg interface. It very well could be on the PAN side, like I said, I am not very familiar with them...

vlan 2
        vsx-sync
        description Agg to PAN
    interface vlan 2
        description Agg to PAN
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        ip address 10.2.0.1/24
        active-gateway ip mac 12:02:00:00:01:01
        active-gateway ip 10.2.0.1
        ip ospf 1 area 0.0.0.0
        no ip ospf passive
        exit
    interface lag 2
        description Agg to PAN
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 1
        vlan trunk allowed 1,2
        lacp mode active
        exit
    interface 1/1/9
        description description Agg to PAN
        no shutdown
        lag 2
        exit
    interface 1/1/10
        description description Agg to PAN
        no shutdown
        lag 2
        exit
    1/1/9          1       trunk  1G-LX          yes     down    Waiting for link        --      Agg to PAN
    1/1/10         1       trunk  --             yes     down    No XCVR installed       --      Agg to PAN

• 7.  RE: Aggregate Ethernet on Palo Alto to 8320 CX Series

Posted 18 days ago

Hi, It is important that you don't use ping as the test to know if you have any success. This is especially true when using a firewall which simply may be not responding even though the network layer is 100%.

Check for the interfaces being up first (layer 1)
    Check for MAC addresses being present on "show mac-add" type commands (layer 2)

As you have changed some aspects it would help others to diagnose if you send the output to the following:

show int lag 2
    show mac-address vlan 2
    show arp | i lag2

Note that LACP is not enabled by default on aggregate interfaces on the Palo Alto. Here is an example of a working link between a PA and a CX switch. The PA is passive, the CX has lacp mode active as per your example.

image.png
    In this working example all interfaces on all devices have duplex & speed set to auto.

• 8.  RE: Aggregate Ethernet on Palo Alto to 8320 CX Series

Posted 16 days ago

vlan 2
        name Agg from PAN
        vsx-sync

interface vlan 2
        description Agg from PAN
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        ip address 10.2.0.1/24
        ip helper-address 10.2.0.22
        ip ospf 1 area 0.0.0.0
        no ip ospf passive

On my bottom switch in my cluster connected to the PAN:
    interface vlan 2
        description Agg from PAN
        vsx-sync active-gateways
        ip address 10.2.0.3/24
        ip helper-address 10.2.0.22
        ip ospf 1 area 0.0.0.0

interface lag 2
        no shutdown
        no routing
        vlan trunk native 2
        vlan trunk allowed 2
        lacp mode active

interface 1/1/9
        description Agg from PAN
        lag 2
        exit
    interface 1/1/10
        description Agg from PAN
        lag 2
        exit

VSX-LOWER-SWITCH# sho int lag 2

Aggregate lag2 is down
     Admin state is up
     State information : Disabled by aggregation
     Description :
     MAC Address                 : 88:3a:30:5e:96:38
     Aggregated-interfaces       : 1/1/9 1/1/10
     Aggregation-key             : 2
     Aggregate mode              : active
     Speed                       : 0 Mb/s
     qos trust dscp
     VLAN Mode: native-untagged
     Native VLAN: 2
     Allowed VLAN List: 2
     L3 Counters: Rx Disabled, Tx Disabled

Statistic                          RX                   TX                Total
     ---------------- -------------------- -------------------- --------------------
     Packets                             0                  946                  946
       Unicast                           0                    0                    0
       Multicast                         0                  946                  946
       Broadcast                         0                    0                    0
     Bytes                               0               165356               165356
     Jumbos                              0                    0                    0
     Dropped                             0                    0                    0
     Filtered                            0                    0                    0
     Pause Frames                        0                    0                    0
     Errors                              0                    0                    0
       CRC/FCS                           0                  n/a                    0
       Collision                       n/a                    0                    0
       Runts                             0                  n/a                    0
       Giants                            0                  n/a                    0

VSX-LOWER-SWITCH# sho mac-add vlan 2
    MAC age-time            : 300 seconds
    Number of MAC addresses : 12

MAC Address          VLAN     Type                      Port
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    ec:2a:72:00:36:30    200      dynamic                   lag256
    e4:3d:1a:ab:42:db    200      dynamic                   lag1
    e4:3d:1a:a0:e2:23    200      dynamic                   lag256
    d0:67:26:e2:1f:f2    200      dynamic                   lag256
    00:0a:f7:e2:84:a9    200      dynamic                   lag256
    00:0a:f7:8d:f6:99    200      dynamic                   lag1
    08:30:6b:b1:92:11    200      dynamic                   lag256
    14:18:77:35:f8:e5    200      dynamic                   1/1/11
    18:66:da:66:3c:72    200      dynamic                   lag1
    44:a8:42:14:26:2f    200      dynamic                   1/1/11
    58:8a:5a:f6:50:e6    200      dynamic                   lag1
    b0:7b:25:fe:4b:e8    200      dynamic                   lag1

sho arp | i lag 2 - command not supported...version is TL.10.13.1010

• 9.  RE: Aggregate Ethernet on Palo Alto to 8320 CX Series

MVP GURU
    Posted 16 days ago
    Maybe I've missed it but (to me) it's unclear what physical interfaces belonging to your entire VSX Cluster you're aggregating together (please consider that a VSX LAG = Multi-Chassis LAG).

Are you aggregating 1/1/9 and 1/1/10 interfaces belonging to VSX Primary (say Switch vsx-1) with corresponding 1/1/9 and 1/1/10 interfaces belonging to VSX Secondary (say Switch vsx-2) in order to form a VSX LAG (thus a LAG which is spanning into the multi-chassis represented by the entire VSX) made of 1/1/9 (vsx-1) + 1/1/10 (vsx-1) + 1/1/9 (vsx-2) + 1/1/10 (vsx-2)?

If so, such VSX LAG - seen by the peering standalone PAN Firewall - requires on the PAN Firewall the corresponding presence of a well formed non multi-chassis LAG (so a quite "standard" LAG) made of four interfaces (this to grant, with all interfaces correctly working and peering to VSX, a normal non degraded operation).

Or are you trying something else?

• 10.  RE: Aggregate Ethernet on Palo Alto to 8320 CX Series

Posted 16 days ago
    Hi, I have assumed that this LAG interface is physically connected to a single physical switch ("lower")

I noticed that the config on the physical interfaces doesn't have "no shut"

For the ARP command (only relevant when the interface is up) the command requires no space between lag and the number: "show arp | i lag2"

If you plan to have interfaces from both members of the VSX connected to the firewall, the LAG interface will need to be a multi-chassis one. This is done by adding "multi-chassis" at the end of the line. For example "interface lag 2 multi-chassis". However, if you plan to only have the lower physical switch connected to the firewall then this should not be present. But then you don't want the active-gateway aspects in the vlan interface. Both will work but it needs to be consistent.

If you are running multi-chassis lag interfaces you must check the keyword is included in the main VSX config:

vsx
       vsx-sync aaa copp-policy dhcp-relay dns evpn mclag-interfaces qos-global route-map sflow-global snmp ssh stp-global time vsx-global

Please try again with the no shut on the physicals. Then reply with the output to:

show interface 1/1/9
    show interface 1/1/10
    show interface lag2
    show mac-add vlan 2
    show ip interface vlan2
    show arp | i vlan2

Also, a screenshot of the PA aggregate interface might be useful to spot an issue there.

Please note, I am leaving my current job tomorrow so unfortunately I won't be able to respond further but hope the above will help others to spot the issue.

• 11.  RE: Aggregate Ethernet on Palo Alto to 8320 CX Series

MVP GURU
    Posted 22 days ago
    To me it looks like a (speed) mismatch.

What type of physical interfaces (media type, speed, mdi, etc.) are you aggregating on PAN side and Aruba CX side?

1Gbps+1Gbps on each side?

Generally it's not recommended to set the speed if there isn't a valid reason to do so (so leave it auto and both peers - PAN and Aruba CX - should be able to agree the correct physical link speed if it's not over imposed on one end or both ends). Let me suppose you're working with 1Gbps Copper (or 1Gbps Optical...or again, better, 10Gbps optical as example) interfaces on both ends then I see no particular reason to set the speed when it should be negotiated by the involved peers.

• 12.  RE: Aggregate Ethernet on Palo Alto to 8320 CX Series

Posted 22 days ago

Hi Rford2798

you should configure as the below 

VLAN 2
    description Palo Alto AE
    interface vlan 2
    description Palo Alto AE
    ip address 10.2.2.2/24
    ip ospf 1 10.2.2.2

interface lag 2
    description Palo Alo AE
    no shutdown
    vlan trunk native 1
    vlan trunk allowed 1,2
    lacp mode active.

the below interface 1/1/1 need to add to the lag this is why you can ping  the Palo Alto ,

interface 1/1/1
    description Palo Alto AE
    no shutdown
    lag 2

interface 1/1/2
    description Palo Alto AE
    no shutdown
    lag 2

and then check the lag and interface is up with the show int brief see below  e:g output you should see 

Port           Native  Mode   Type           Enabled Status  Reason                  Speed   Description
                   VLAN                                                                  (Mb/s)

lag2          2     access --             yes     up      --                      200000      Palo Alo AE

hope this help