Security

View Only
last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

AirGroup Apple Screen Mirror Restrictions

This thread has been viewed 42 times
  • 1.  AirGroup Apple Screen Mirror Restrictions

Posted Mar 21, 2023 03:27 PM

Hello, we have Aruba Mobility and ClearPass deployed on a campus. We use Mobility for Wireless Management and ClearPass for all our authentication services. I have security concern in regards to the Screen mirror function on Apple devices. The concern is Apple devices will be visible to other Apple devices which would in turn create a situation where Apple devices try to attempt unauthorized connections to other Apple devices through screen mirror function. AirGroup is enabled on ClearPass Guest device registration and I have the option to choose personal or shared. I have logged into two Apple devices with an Apple ID and I registered both through my guest device registration portal. The problem is everyone with an Apple iOS is able to see a screen mirror capable Apple device such as tvOS. I have tried disabling Bluetooth, but the screen mirror still is visible. I work with other people who are on different SSID's and VLAN but the Apple devices are still able to see the tvOS in the screen mirror menu. Is it actually possible with AirGroup and Mobility or ClearPass to restrict visibility of two Apple devices to a registered user? 

Thank you

Best.

• 2.  RE: AirGroup Apple Screen Mirror Restrictions

Posted Mar 21, 2023 06:40 PM
    If I read your question correctly, I think you are asking about the restrictions of the actual devices in question. With regards to Apple TVs, if these are corporate devices, you should be managing them with an MDM solution to prevent, or allow this access.  

End user devices, it's up to them to restrict or allow who can access them. Apple TVs have settings to allow AirPlay by devices on the same network or anyone, or anyone with a code. Airgroups and registration of the device can prevent sharing from other users on the network, but the end user needs to prevent bluetooth connections for example.

Hope this helps...

--
    °(((=((===°°°(((================================================

• 3.  RE: AirGroup Apple Screen Mirror Restrictions

Posted Mar 21, 2023 07:13 PM

Hello, thank you. I have disabled bluetooth on the surrounding iOS devices but the tvOS is still an option on their screen mirror menu. We have several SSIDs with different VLANs. Apple devices on one SSID are able to see the tvOS which is connected to a different SSID on a different VLAN.

Person # 1 has at  tvOS and a iOS device. Other Users in the same building or surrounding office who have iOS devices  are able to view the tvOS in the screen mirror menu but of course can't join without the verification code. 

People in my organization are convinced AirGroup is supposed to be able to hide a Screen Mirror capable device from all users except the owner's own iOS device, provided the user is signed into both devices with their Apple ID and has registered the devices under their own name in ClearPass device registration with the AirGroup "Personal or Shared" options 

Thank you

• 4.  RE: AirGroup Apple Screen Mirror Restrictions

Posted Mar 21, 2023 10:54 PM
    AirGroups and ClearPass Guest allow you to register devices that can be shared among a user or set of defined users. Then only the particular user or users will be able to see the other device, This is useful for individual use, such as a dorm room or private office.

Another option is to register a device to be shared with one or more access points or AP groups. Then only the users associated with that AP or APs will be able to see the other device. Then you can use the verification code option. This is useful for a classroom or conference room.

AirGroups are not only useful for iOS/tvOS but many other devices (Alexa, Google, Sonos, printers, etc).

Hope this helps.

--
    °(((=((===°°°(((================================================

• 5.  RE: AirGroup Apple Screen Mirror Restrictions

Posted Mar 22, 2023 02:14 AM

AirPlay discovery and sharing occurs over AWDL, Apple's peer-to-peer protocol that runs on 802.11, so disabling bluetooth doesn't stop it, and AirGroup won't help either. What you need to do is set a configuration profile on the Apple TV, AirPlay Security/Access to only let devices on the same wifi network connect. I think this can be done in the settings menu on the device directly as well. Then you could use AirGroup on top to restrict visibility. 

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/deployment/dep09c789dce/1/web/1.0

• 6.  RE: AirGroup Apple Screen Mirror Restrictions

Posted Mar 22, 2023 10:58 AM

Hello, thank you for the response. The devices cannot be managed by MDM. But I suspected all along Apple's verification code process exists precisely because AirGroup or any wireless management platform can't really stop Apple devices from seeing each other. With the whole AirTag thing I suspected Apple has done two things: One -  is make every Apple device visible to other devices, 2nd - the verification code is the solution to solve the security problem thanks to first "feature"

• 7.  RE: AirGroup Apple Screen Mirror Restrictions

Posted Mar 22, 2023 09:53 PM

I found the manual on how to restrict it through the device settings directly: https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/tv/atvbf2be9ef7/16.0/tvos/16.0 

1. Open Settings  on Apple TV.

2. Select AirPlay and HomeKit, then select Allow Access and choose any of the following options:

• Everyone: Everyone can stream content to your Apple TV.

• Anyone on the Same Network: Anyone connected to your home network can stream content to your Apple TV.

• Only People Sharing This Home: Only people you've added to Home Sharing can stream content to your Apple TV.

• Require Password: A password is required to AirPlay to your Apple TV.

• Also Allow Nearby to AirPlay: Anyone close to your Apple TV can stream content to it.

• 8.  RE: AirGroup Apple Screen Mirror Restrictions

Posted Mar 22, 2023 11:06 PM

Quick question, what version of ArubaOS are you running?

• 9.  RE: AirGroup Apple Screen Mirror Restrictions

Posted Mar 27, 2023 06:51 PM

Hello, AOS 8

Thank you

• 10.  RE: AirGroup Apple Screen Mirror Restrictions
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 05, 2023 12:14 PM

Would that be 8.9 or 8.10? AirGroup Version 2 was introduced as optional in 8.9 [have to enable it via CLI - can check active version by logging into MM/MC and running

show airgroup status

AirGroup version: ver2

and then made full on production in 8.10 There was some behavioral changes with Version 2 - such as association by "AP-NAME" being default - but learned personal devices would now show up to clients that were neighbors of the AP - unless the shared list was set specifically to the device owner. We worked with TAC/product team [they reproduced the changed behavior and were very helpful during our discussions) - and the behavior is being corrected in 8.10.0.7 to reflect that of AirGroup Version 1.

• 11.  RE: AirGroup Apple Screen Mirror Restrictions

Posted Apr 07, 2023 05:27 PM

Hello, thank you for your response: 
    the following output: 

AirGroup Information
    --------------------
    Feature               Status
    -------               ------
    AirGroup mode         Centralised
    CPPM Profile          
    Active domain         N/A

MDNS                  Enabled