Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Airgroup printer problems

This thread has been viewed 19 times
  • 1.  Airgroup printer problems

Posted Oct 02, 2022 06:54 PM
    Hi Guys,

I tried to make a working Airgroup solution in a lab environment. After it will success, I need to deploy it in production environment.

I read Aruba documents and made settings to made Airgroup to work between printer and user VLAN. So as I said users and printers use separate VLAN and SSID, traffic is not allowed between the two networks. Tests show that user devices found Airgroup printers, but printing job was not successful. Printer server services and client lookups shown on Aruba dashboard. Currently Airgroup is enabled on all VLANs and all user roles, initially I didn't set filter (disallowed VLANs/roles) in the configuration.
    I tried to connect client to printer VLAN also (same SSID as printer use), in this case printing works fine.

Can anyone help me what can be the cause of this, what should I check or modify to make it to work? (AOS 8.6.0.18)

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Airgroup printer problems

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2022 02:48 AM
    Airgroup mainly enables discovery protocols designed to only operate on the same subnet to work over multiple subnets.  You still have to enable routing and firewall permissions to allow that data between the two devices for successful printing.  Have you seen the Airgroup Services deployment guide here:  https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00106566en_us ?

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: Airgroup printer problems

Posted Oct 03, 2022 04:29 AM
    Hi cjoseph,

Oh I see. I didn't know that, because none of the guides mention that the traffic between the VLANs is not carried by the controllers, but goes in the direction to the two network gateways.

In our case an L7 firewall cluster does the filtering between the two networks/VLANs. Am I correct that for Airprint to work, the following ports and protocols must be enabled between the two networks?
    • TCP 9100
    • TCP 631
    • TCP 80
    • TCP 9500
    • TCP 8080

Should the controllers have an IP interface in user and printer subnet too, or not?

• 4.  RE: Airgroup printer problems

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 03, 2022 04:39 AM
    The traffic between VLANs does go through the controllers, so it it must be permitted in both directions.  Apple could change the ports and protocols necessary for Airprint communication, so you should consult their website for up to date information.  

If your airprint devices are being discovered successfully, you do not need to add any ip interfaces to your current setup.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card