Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave only doing Telnet not SSH for Cisco Switch IOS-XE

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  AirWave only doing Telnet not SSH for Cisco Switch IOS-XE

Posted 10 days ago

We just recently got a new Cisco 9200 IOS-XE based switch and I have been trying to get it in AirWave but I'm having problems where it only wants to telnet not ssh to it.  We have telnet disabled throughout our environment, allowing only SSH. 

The credentials provided during the initial set up of the device in airwave are correct and validated.  It shows telnet and ssh ports are available to be configured, but it only tries telnet based on the info from the alerts

Configuration status changed to 'Telnet/SSH Error: (problem connecting to "X.X.X.X", port 23: Connection refused) in
    username or password prompt: '

Telnet/SSH Error: problem connecting to "10.166.251.252", port 23: Connection refused

I can't remove the telnet port from the manage device section as it requires it. 

To add the device, I went into Device Setup --> Add, then used Cisco Catalyst Switch and entered in all required fields, even the telnet one that was prepopulated. 

Is there something I'm missing to disable telnet and force it to only use SSH? I would assume if it failed telnet then it would attempt ssh next but it doesnt seem to try that. 

SNMP seems to be working fine. 

• 2.  RE: AirWave only doing Telnet not SSH for Cisco Switch IOS-XE

Posted 9 days ago
    • What Airwave Version are you using?
    • You have to change "Cisco IOS CLI Communication" from Telnet to SSH for the Group the Devices belong to:
      1. Groups → List
      2. Configure the Group the Cisco Devices belong to:

• 3.  RE: AirWave only doing Telnet not SSH for Cisco Switch IOS-XE

Posted 9 days ago

We are running 8.2.15.1, little older version than whats out there. Not sure what version if/when the IOS-XE switches are supported in AirWave?

I honestly didn't even know that was there and available to be configured.  I did update it and it looks a little better but I'm getting the following now under the config. 

I don't see any SSH attempts in the logs of the switch and as far as I know there are no ACL's preventing SSH access. 

Configuration read from device at 4/19/2024 1:12 PM EDT

Template: Add a Template

Configuration: Error

(No matching template could be found for this device. See the templates page.)

• 4.  RE: AirWave only doing Telnet not SSH for Cisco Switch IOS-XE

Posted 9 days ago

You should remove your URL from your answer:

> Template: Add a Template

You have to check the supported (Cisco) Devices for your Airwave Version.

It depends on what you want to do. Monitoring can be done via SNMP. Management may require SSH.