Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave server migration to COP server

This thread has been viewed 32 times
  • 1.  Airwave server migration to COP server

Posted Sep 22, 2022 10:13 AM
    We're in the process of migrating our existing Airwave implementation from one server to another - the other server being a disused COP server. 

I have seen lots of posts regarding a recommended migration strategy is there a particular thread/ piece of documentation which is best to follow for step by step instructions? 

• 2.  RE: Airwave server migration to COP server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 23, 2022 06:11 AM
    I would start with the Central-on-prem migration guide.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Airwave server migration to COP server

Posted Sep 26, 2022 04:54 AM
    Herman, 

Thanks. Just for clarity we're migrating Airwave to a COP server, but it's still going to be Airwave. We're merely changing which server to run Airwave on instead of an actual migration to using COP, this is due to the age of our existing server running Airwave. The IP address etc. is all staying the same. 

So we will need to convert the COP server to an Airwave server. Is it as simple as factory defaulting the COP server and restoring it from the Airwave backup. Appreciated that it may be a little more complex than that , but that's the basic principle? 

• 4.  RE: Airwave server migration to COP server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2022 09:58 AM
    It would be normal Airwave backup and restore.
    1. Copy license and backup off of the current Airwave server.
    2. Install the new server with Airwave ISO (same version as current Airwave server).
    3. Restore backup.
    4. If IP remains the same, copy the same license key.
    5. If IP of new Airwave server changes, contact Aruba TAC to get new license and apply the same. Point the devices to new IP Address.

Regards
    Gowri Amujuri

• 5.  RE: Airwave server migration to COP server

Posted Sep 26, 2022 02:18 PM
    Hello Gowri,

I'm working with Adam on this. We used iLO to attach a local file (Airwave ISO file on my home PC) as a CD/DVD and (again using iLO) rebooted the COP box. It successfully boots into the Airwave configuration menu. First of all we get an Airwave screen which just has the "Install Airwave" option - though there is also an option to press Tab and edit the params (we didn't change any of that). Eventually it brings us to the set-up menu where we configure IP settings, NTP servers, admin user, destination location etc. We set those up and select b to begin install. It starts installing, begins installing a long list of packages but when it gets to "installing airwave-amp-installer" it stops and gets stuck. I left it for an hour before giving up.

I noticed on a different thread that there was some mention of changing the boot params right at the start (first Airwave menu):

https://community.arubanetworks.com/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MID=29551

"When the first menu screen appears with the "Install AirWave" option, or whatever it is called, press 'e' to edit the parameters.

Change the part that says "ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg" to be "ks=hd:LABEL=AIRWAVE:/ks.cfg"

Press Ctrl-X to continue boot. Should work.  This assumes that the flash drive is actually named "AIRWAVE". If it isn't adjust that LABEL= section. (Avoid spaces and such in the name unless you want to look up the escape/control codes.)"

This might not be relevant to our situation but I thought I'd mention it.

Any ideas how we might get over this hurdle? Does it need internet access during the installation process (we don't have it connected to the network yet)

Thank you,

Guy

• 6.  RE: Airwave server migration to COP server

Posted Sep 26, 2022 05:26 PM
    I left it for longer this time and the attached screen shows the error that appeared:

Choosing 1 of the 3 options (eg 1) Report Bug) doesn't work - pressing '1' actually prints ^[1 to screen and it rejects that

• 7.  RE: Airwave server migration to COP server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2022 11:10 PM
    Hi Guy,
    I admit i havent tested with latest COP servers, but never seen this issue atleast last year with COP servers.
    Are you trying to install 8.2.10 iso? I would suggest working with TAC to look at the issue/
    However, if you install with latest 8.2.15 iso on the COP server, do you still see same issue? If that works, you can just upgrade the existing AirWave server to 8.2.15 and restore the backup.

Regards
    Gowri Amujuri

• 8.  RE: Airwave server migration to COP server

Posted Sep 27, 2022 03:58 AM
    Hi Gowri, 

The ISO we're using is 8.2.15 and the Airwave backup file we have ready is also 8.2.15. 

Adam

• 9.  RE: Airwave server migration to COP server

Posted Sep 27, 2022 07:43 AM
    Hello Gowri,

Ok, happy to open a TAC case. But before we do I wonder if we could try installing a previous version on the new box to see if that works and then upgrade the new box (leaving the old Airwave box on 8.2.15). Is there a version you would recommend attempting that has an easy upgrade path to 8.2.15?

• 10.  RE: Airwave server migration to COP server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 27, 2022 09:35 AM
    Hi Guy,

8.2.13 or 8.2.14 can be upgraded to 8.2.15 directly.

Regards
    Gowri Amujuri