Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AMP on Hyper-V

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  AMP on Hyper-V

Posted Jan 26, 2023 09:51 AM

I have installed AMP 8.2.15.1 inside a VM under Hyper-V (WS 2019). The Appliance is up and running, however when monitoring the VM it is reporting tremendous Memory pressure (200... 500% depending on assigned vRAM). Memory settings for the VM are static, not dynamic (32 GB assigne). When observing metrics for RAM, all values are in normal range (free -h on AMP console reporting just 5GB used, no swap used).  I found some hints in other communities related to memory issues in Hyper-V VMs running Linux, but since I do not have console acccess / root privileges I got stuck on this.

Questions:
    Any of you facing same probelm and found a solution for this?
    If i would install AMP on a self prepared Linux-VM (to have root access) instead of the appliance installation, what is the current recommended Linux (redhat, CentOS, ....) and version for AMP?

Thanks in advance,
    Markus

• 2.  RE: AMP on Hyper-V

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 26, 2023 10:10 AM
    Hi Markus,

AirWave CLI is administratively locked for security and other purposes. Currently TAC and Engineering can only access root shell for any needed troubleshooting. There is no alternate way. AirWave currently uses CentOS7 as backend OS.  RHEL based AirWave will be released in 2-3 months fyi.

w.r.t the memory usage, I would suggest opening a TAC case to check with CLI access.
    Please note, airWave is memory intensive and it needs lot of RAM to even function before adding devices. There are multiple processes/applications uses minimum amount of RAM to even function. With that said, free -h may mot show accurate usage as its current sec/min/5 min only and not comprehensive usage. How many number of devices does the server will have? I would follow the VM specifications in the sizing guide to setup VM with dedicated resources for AirWave instance.

------------------------------
    Regards
    Gowri Amujuri

• 3.  RE: AMP on Hyper-V

Posted Jan 27, 2023 04:10 AM

Hello Gowri,

thanks for the reply.

I am just the one who is in charge providing a stable running VM for AMP. I see that CentOS Kernel is far away from current build, so I claim that all hyper-V related vm-utils are outdated, too. With the constraint not having adminstrative privileges inside the VM, my hands are tied up and HPE is in charge providing a build which is working fluent. 

I asked my colleague how many devices will be managed by AMP; currently we have 86 devices and next step will raise this figure to 110 later the year. Currently NO devices have been registered on this VM, since we have an older AMP Installation under production use. So it is just the application itself running on this new 8.2.15 VM. What I got told from colleague, the application works as expected w/o errors or delays.

As a test, I have shutdown the VM, increased the vRAM (static configured) up to 64 GB (which is, following  the sizing guide, far too much for the amount of monitored devices) and restarted the VM. I see 112% memory pressure on host side right after just 5 min. of runtime.

Instead of using free -h, I used "top" and in 64GB vRAM configuration, I see the same counter values as if I run the VM with just 16GB vRAM: Its allocating around 5...6 GB of RAM, not more. 
    This let me think about the already mentioned suspect that the problem is somehow related to the vm-utils used / might not current on this appliance.

Thanks!

Markus

• 4.  RE: AMP on Hyper-V

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 27, 2023 11:36 AM
    Hi Markus,

What is the adapter setting when setting Airwave VM instance on Hyper-V? I remember, long ago we had issues with Hyper-V using Legacy Adapter for AirWave installs and the option was to use Default Adapter while setting up the VM and install AirWave on the VM.

As you mentioned, old Airwave installation works, is it on Hyper-V too? If so, any differences with  the Hyper-V setups?

Regards
    Gowri Amujuri

• 5.  RE: AMP on Hyper-V

Posted Jan 30, 2023 04:36 AM

Hello Gowri,

VM is configured in opposite to the guidelines in AirWave Installation Guide (HPE_a00108143en_us_AirWave 8.2 - Installation Guide.pdf)
    Nobody running VMs on Hyper-V wants to use this legacy Network Adapter voluntarily, since its constraints are ties the VM to some other limitation (must configure a Generation 1 VM, which has just an IDE controller for the boot device etc.)
    Airwave runs smooth as Gen2 VM with a regular network adapter under Hyper-V, as long as you set MAC address static. BEFORE starting the installation.  I do run several other VM-appliances from other vendors with such configuration for years now.
    It seems to be lack of knowledge when it comes to Hyper-V.
    Currently, the VM has 64 GB assigned and memory pressure from Hyper-V Host perspective is stable at approx. 112%
    Although I understand this as a waste of ressources (as mentioned above, application doesn't allocate this amount of memory), I'd carry on running the appliance in this configuration.

And to answer your question: The old AMP Installation was setup like described in installation guide (Gen1 VM, Legacy network adapter) but lacks the same memory issue (memory pressure too high)

However, one final question:
    When Installation of AMP is started, there is a message on screen that AMP will be configured to use a certain amount of memory (in my case at the time of installation 16GB). Now after I have increase vRAM up to 64 GB, are there any manual steps necessary to configure AMP using the complete amount of RAM, or does this happen automatically?

Thanks,
    Markus