View Only
last person joined: 39 minutes ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

Ansible Collection verse Role

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  Ansible Collection verse Role

Posted Aug 01, 2023 03:27 PM

Hello all,

What is the difference between aoscx-ansible-collection and aoscx-ansible-role?  I see that there versions are much different, the collection has received updates more recently than the role.

Thank you,

• 2.  RE: Ansible Collection verse Role

Posted Aug 01, 2023 03:48 PM

Hi @higher_ed_admin_0978734512@higher_ed_admin_0978734512

Roles were a format that Ansible used previously but now Collections are the preferred method of developing integrations between vendors and Ansible. For Aruba, you'll always want to use the Collection - for more information I recommend walking through our devHub guide that discusses the collection and how to use it, we also have our example workflows repository where you can find example playbooks using the collection: https://developer.arubanetworks.com/aruba-aoscx/docs/getting-started-with-ansible-and-aos-cx

------------------------------
    Ti Chiapuzio-Wong (they/them)
    HPE Aruba Networking

• 3.  RE: Ansible Collection verse Role

Posted Aug 01, 2023 03:52 PM

Thank you Tiffany!  I will work on converting everything over to the Collection.

• 4.  RE: Ansible Collection verse Role

Posted Aug 02, 2023 03:20 AM

Oh.. I didn't know about this! I have installed both, but I'm using the role in the playbooks. Thank you both!

• 5.  RE: Ansible Collection verse Role

Posted Aug 02, 2023 08:57 AM

Maybe something should be noted on the Role's GITHUB page saying it is 'deprecated'.

• 6.  RE: Ansible Collection verse Role

Posted Aug 02, 2023 09:16 AM

@jonlar @higher_ed_admin_0978734512 Yes the AOS-CX Role has been deprecated for a while due to us not wanting to duplicate efforts. The Collection is actively being developed, tested, and contributed to by our development team.

Ti Chiapuzio-Wong (they/them)
    HPE Aruba Networking