Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Antenna Settings AP 534

This thread has been viewed 35 times
  • 1.  Antenna Settings AP 534

Posted 20 days ago

Hi - we have a large sports hall with poor wifi coverage. We're installing some wall mounted 534s with external antenna boxes with gain set for 3dBi for 2.4 and 5 for 5Ghz. However, I'm not sure what to set for beamwidth (360 to cover more area?) or orientation.

Also, are the boxes fitted a certain way to ensure the antenna are tilted slightly downward? Thanks very much.

• 2.  RE: Antenna Settings AP 534

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 20 days ago

What do you mean by "external antenna boxes"? What model of antenna are you installing?

Gain should be set based values provided in the antenna datasheet.  There's not a beamwidth setting, are you talking about settings in a design software?

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 3.  RE: Antenna Settings AP 534

Posted 20 days ago

Thanks Carson - we're installing Aruba 534 with external antenna about 3m on the side walls of a large sports hall. This is what the boxes look like:

I'm just a bit confused about how the gain translates into directional strength. The beamdwidth and orientation appear within the Airwave config.

• 4.  RE: Antenna Settings AP 534

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 20 days ago

Those "boxes" are the antennas.  I hope you didn't go with the antennas as pictured (model number would still be helpful to know) as those show only three leads and the 534 requires four connections.  Any down tilt would likely have to be done manually by using a mounting bracket that allows such, but if you are mounting those 3 meters off the ground then down tilt probably isn't necessary.

The beamwidth setting in AirWave (i.e., VisualRF) should be set based on the values in the datasheet.  Orientation will be dependent on your physical installation.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 5.  RE: Antenna Settings AP 534

Posted 19 days ago

Thanks Carson - I'm struggling to understand how gain and the 'direction' of the sig are related. We want to focus signal around the floor of the gym (where people and their devices will be). Will increasing antenna gain take care of this or do we need to physically direct anything?

• 6.  RE: Antenna Settings AP 534

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 19 days ago

What is the distance from the wall to the center of the floor?

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 7.  RE: Antenna Settings AP 534

Posted 19 days ago

I would say about 20 metres.

• 8.  RE: Antenna Settings AP 534

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 19 days ago

What model of antenna are you using?

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 9.  RE: Antenna Settings AP 534

Posted 19 days ago

Aruba AP-ANT-17

• 10.  RE: Antenna Settings AP 534

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 19 days ago

That antenna is not meant for installation on an AP-534, that antenna only has three elements and the AP has four connectors.  The current antenna to use is the AP-ANT-328.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP-ANT-328.pdf

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 11.  RE: Antenna Settings AP 534

Posted 19 days ago

My bad - I got that from an old quote. They're actually AP-ANT-45 2.4/5G 5dBi 4x4 Panel.

They definitely have 4 x co-ax style connections as I built and tested them some time ago.

• 12.  RE: Antenna Settings AP 534

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 19 days ago

https://www.arubanetworks.com/resource/outdoor-4x4-mimo-antenna-ap-ant-45-data-sheet/

The gain for that antenna should be entered as 5.5 dBi for the 5 GHz radio and 4.5 dBi for the 2.4 GHz radio unless you've used some additional cabling for the connection in which case the additional loss must be accounted for.  At 3 meters above the floor there is no reason to point the antenna anywhere other than straight out from the wall.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 13.  RE: Antenna Settings AP 534

Posted 19 days ago

That's great. Thanks for your help.