Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AOS-CX: Send User-IP Mapping to Palo Alto without CLearPass

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  AOS-CX: Send User-IP Mapping to Palo Alto without CLearPass

Posted Feb 20, 2024 03:25 AM

Hi everyone,

We have an environment with AOS-CX switches and AOS Access Points where we enforce 802.1x authentication against an RADIUS server, without ClearPass.

Now, we want to send User-IP Mappings to the Palo Alto Firewall on the same network. With the Access Points, it has been pretty simple as there is a direct integration with the Palo Alto XML API that can be configured from Aruba Central (https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/centralonprem/2.5.5/content/access-points/cfg/services/pan_firewall.htm)

However, with AOS-CX, it is not that simple. I saw that you can configure the Palo Alto Firewall as Syslog listener to perform User-IP Mappings (https://docs.paloaltonetworks.com/pan-os/10-2/pan-os-admin/user-id/map-ip-addresses-to-users/configure-user-id-to-monitor-syslog-senders-for-user-mapping/configure-the-pan-os-integrated-user-id-agent-as-a-syslog-listener). This requires that the login information must be sent as a single log containing both the user name and the IP address. Unfortunately, after inspecting the logs produced by the switch, I can only see logs relating the MAC address with the IP Address (with the IP tracking feature enabled), and other logs relating the MAC address with the username, but none of them relate the IP to the user name directly. Some examples of the logs I found:

2024-02-14:19:07:35.698925|port-accessd|LOG_INFO|AMM|-|PORTACCESS|PORTACCESS_ACCOUNTING|logID=664446 Acctreq IP [172.16.169.3], MAC [a8:4a:63:30:56:ca], Port [1/1/5] Update

2024-02-14:19:07:35.455137|port-accessd|LOG_NOTICE|AMM|-|PORTACCESS|PORTACCESS_SERVICES|logID=664445 Client '1/1/5 a8:4a:63:30:56:ca' identity 'johndoe' onboarded via dot1x successfully.

I know that with ClearPass it is easier as there is a direct integration with Palo Alto, but it is something we can not afford right now.

Does someone know if there is a way to achieve it without Celarpass?

Thanks everyone.

• 2.  RE: AOS-CX: Send User-IP Mapping to Palo Alto without CLearPass

Posted Feb 22, 2024 05:41 PM

I have not done this with AOS-CX, but in general I have taken the Accounting logs from my RADIUS server and forwarded them to a Palo Alto firewall.  A syslog listener on the Palo Alto firewall parses the user and IP from these logs.

The Accounting RADIUS packets contain User-Name and Framed-IP-Address attributes.

• 3.  RE: AOS-CX: Send User-IP Mapping to Palo Alto without CLearPass

Posted Feb 26, 2024 04:43 AM

Hi @chalowther , thanks for your reply. We are using the OneLogin RADIUS server, and in the logs I only see the Public IP address of the site, so I lose the traceability of the IP-User mapping. That's why I am trying to find a solution from the local switch.

• 4.  RE: AOS-CX: Send User-IP Mapping to Palo Alto without CLearPass

Posted Feb 26, 2024 05:15 AM

Hi again. So I noticed that I did not have enabled the accounting port-access logs. Now I enabled them, but i do not see the Framed-IP-Address field populated in the start logs, only in the stop ones:

6100# show accounting log port-access all
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Local accounting logs of network users from previous boot
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Local accounting logs of network users from current boot

-----
    type=USER_ACCT msg=audit(Feb 26 2024  11:00:33.798:61834) : msg='rec=ACCT_NETWORK session=PORT-ACCESS timezone=Europe/Paris user=NETWORK_USER auth-method=PORT-ACCESS auth-type=RADIUS service=shell isconfig=no "System-accounting-START-for-session-port-access User-Name = johndoe, Calling-Station-Id = 00:e0:4c:78:03:e6, NAS-Port-Id = 1/1/5, NAS-Port = 5, Acct-Session-Id = 1708941633807,  "  hostname=6100 res=success' 
    -----
    type=USER_ACCT msg=audit(Feb 26 2024  11:00:45.768:61835) : msg='rec=ACCT_NETWORK session=PORT-ACCESS timezone=Europe/Paris user=NETWORK_USER auth-method=PORT-ACCESS auth-type=RADIUS service=shell isconfig=no "System-accounting-STOP-for-session-port-access User-Name = johndoe, Framed-IP-Address = 172.16.169.2, Framed-IPv6-Address = fe80::481:3171:c87c:7bab, Calling-Station-Id = 00:e0:4c:78:03:e6, NAS-Port-Id = 1/1/5, NAS-Port = 5, Acct-Session-Id = 1708941633807, Acct-Session-Time = 12 Acct-Input-Octets = 0, Acct-Output-Octets = 0, Acct-Input-Packets = 0, Acct-Output-Packets = 0, Acct-Input-Gigawords = 0, Acct-Output-Gigawords = 0 Acct-Terminate-Cause = Admin Reset  "  hostname=6100 res=success' 

Is there any way to include the Framed-IP-Address field in the START logs? Thank you!

• 5.  RE: AOS-CX: Send User-IP Mapping to Palo Alto without CLearPass

Posted Feb 26, 2024 07:55 AM

Hi again.

I enabled DAI and DHCP Snooping and I can see the Framed-IP-Address in the START logs. Now, is there a way to send this accounting logs to a syslog server instead of (or in addition to) the remote RADIUS server?

Thank you!

• 6.  RE: AOS-CX: Send User-IP Mapping to Palo Alto without CLearPass

Posted Feb 26, 2024 06:18 PM

That will depend on the RADIUS server and your environment.

My experience with this is using Aruba wireless equipment and FreeRADIUS.  I was able to forward Accounting logs from FreeRADIUS to a Palo Alto firewall using syslog settings on the FreeRADIUS server.

• 7.  RE: AOS-CX: Send User-IP Mapping to Palo Alto without CLearPass

Posted Feb 27, 2024 04:18 AM

Hey @chalowther, thank again for your feedback.

With the OneLogin Radius server, I do not have the option to forward the RADIUS accounting logs to a syslog server. That's why I want to make the switch send these logs to the syslog server directly.

I can see the logs that I need with the command show accounting log port-access all , but I do not see these logs with the show logging. And my syslog server is only receiving the logs that are shown with the show logging command. So, is there away to include the port-access accounting logs inside the logging group?

Thanks again