View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

AP-105s in a bootstrap loop

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  AP-105s in a bootstrap loop

Posted Jan 24, 2024 09:25 AM

All

I haven't collected any logs yet, so this is just a general question.  We still have a few buildings running old AP-105s (slowly but surely replacing all of them).  Last weekend we had an incident where in 2 of the buildings all of the APs went offline.  We could see them booting on the switch which is why I believe they are just bootstrapping.  Rebooted the controller, switch, everything but they are just DOA.  We have a whole stash of AP-225s laying around (I know both of those models are End-of-Support which is why I can't call TAC.  We only have them while we're upgrading everything to 5xx or 6xx series).  When we plug in the 225s they come right up with no issue letting me know there is a good network path to the controller.

My question - are there different ports needed, MTU size, anything between the 105s and 225s?  I need to write up a root cause analysis and just trying to get as much info as possible as to why this happened.  I'm headed out to the site later today to start connect to the console port and see any errors that might be coming thru, but wanted to ask the smart people on here first.

FYI - no upgrades done to the controller, MM, or anywhere.  These have been running for years with only an occasional reboot and no changes done

Thanks!

Jeff

• 2.  RE: AP-105s in a bootstrap loop

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2024 11:17 AM

You should obtain one of those AP-105s and get a console on them.  It is entirely possible that they are hardcoded to an ip address you no longer use.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: AP-105s in a bootstrap loop

Posted Jan 24, 2024 12:21 PM

That's my plan for this afternoon.  The odd part is that no IPs have changed in over a year for the APs, Controllers, MMs, etc.  Just to throw a bit more confusion in, most of our controllers as well as our MM are running 8.10.x.x, but this one controller is on 8.6 (we currently have a mix of 105s up to 635s and just about everything in between).  Just keeping this controller around long enough to complete the project to get rid of all of the old 105s.  For this building, we have the DHCP option set to point directly to the correct controller as well as the LMS inside of the AP-Group set for that controller.  This isn't a big deal since we have a workaround, but I need to find out so I can write the RCA.  Also, we have 3 other buildings with 105s slated for upgrades in the summer that didn't go down like these 2 did this weekend, but we don't have enough other APs laying around to swap them if something happens.  If I find the resolution after consoling in, I'll post back.  Thanks again.

• 4.  RE: AP-105s in a bootstrap loop

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2024 12:23 PM

It is possible that they were added to an ap-group that pointed them to the new 8.10.x.x controller?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card