Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-225 failed to update to 8.7.1.9 with Mobility master and controllers.

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  AP-225 failed to update to 8.7.1.9 with Mobility master and controllers.

Posted Aug 19, 2022 06:33 PM
    Hi,

I have two 7205 controllers and a virtual Mobility master.  One of my AP-225 failed to update when I upgraded from 8.6.0 to 8.7.1.9.

Problem is, many of my APs are really iAP that have been converted.  I don't know the steps to resolve this.  (In the past I would update the iAP to the version running on my cluster, then convert to iAP.)

But I can't find the iAP software for 8.7.  In my Support portal it only goes to 8.6.

I also tried to covert it even though the Aruba OS versions don't match, but that fail. 

Can I get some help?  I know 8.7 is supported because it's in the Aruba OS 8.7 users guide and because I have many AP-225 running 8.7.1.9 in my cluster.

• 2.  RE: AP-225 failed to update to 8.7.1.9 with Mobility master and controllers.

Posted Aug 20, 2022 04:51 AM
    You can upgrade AP manualy with update os command from boot prompt. It was described in detail in several posts.

In short

- break the ap boot when powering ap
    - setenv serverip <controller ip>
    - upgrade os 0 <filename>

To get the correct filename use printenv command.

Longer path is to use convert command from iap cli or gui convert 

Best, Gorazd

• 3.  RE: AP-225 failed to update to 8.7.1.9 with Mobility master and controllers.
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 22, 2022 05:54 AM
    The AP-225 does support Instant up to version 8.6, which is why there is no Instant 8.7:
    Check the end-of-life page: for the AP-220 series: ArubaOS 8.10, Aruba Instant 8.6.

If the AP is converted from IAP to Campus, it will behave exactly like a campus AP from that point on, and should also upgrade normally. It may be good to have a look on the AP serial console, and check which firmware is running, and if/how the controller is discovered. It could be that during the initial conversion, you added the controller IP, and changed that at some point. Depending on how you do controller discovery, you may do a purge from the apboot, or factory reset with the reset button, or manually fixing the controller discovery.

Do you know in what state (OS/discovery) the AP is now?

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: AP-225 failed to update to 8.7.1.9 with Mobility master and controllers.

Posted Sep 26, 2022 11:59 AM
    OMG, it converted just fine.  In the UI I was trying to convert it with the Mobility master IP.  It has to be one of the controllers.  Once I used the controller IP it converted just fine.  Thanks for the replies.