Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-505 Subject to SSH-Terrapin Vulnerability?

This thread has been viewed 37 times
  • 1.  AP-505 Subject to SSH-Terrapin Vulnerability?

Posted 12 days ago

The last reference I could find to this is someone asking the question almost a decade ago, and not really getting an answer.

An internal network scan is flagging my AP's for this, yet I can't really find a listed 'fix' for it, aside from disabling SSH completely. Firmware is pretty recent.

Any ideas or suggestions?

• 2.  RE: AP-505 Subject to SSH-Terrapin Vulnerability?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 12 days ago

Try adding the following configuration to disable the CBC cipher in SSH which should clear up hits on the SSH Prefix Truncation Vulnerability (Terrapin). 

ssh disable-ciphers aes-cbc

Then run your internal network scan test again and report back and let us know the results.

• 3.  RE: AP-505 Subject to SSH-Terrapin Vulnerability?

Posted 11 days ago

The aes-cbc ciphers are the only ones listed when I do a 'show ssh' command. Wouldn't that be the same as disabling it?

• 4.  RE: AP-505 Subject to SSH-Terrapin Vulnerability?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 11 days ago

Hi Troy,

I just factory reset one of my APs on 8.11.2.2. On bring up, I see both aes-ctr and aes-cbc ciphers in the show ssh results. When I disable aes-cbc, I only see aes-ctr ciphers. I see the same behavior in 8.10.0.11 too. Which version are you running on your APs? Do you have aes-ctr ciphers disabled (show running-config | include ssh)?

d0:4d:c6:c3:25:2a# show ssh
    Please change default password to private ones before any other operator.

SSH Ciphers Settings:
    Ciphers       :aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr,aes128-cbc,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc
    d0:4d:c6:c3:25:2a# show ver | include ArubaOS
    ArubaOS (MODEL: 655), Version 8.11.2.2 SSR
    d0:4d:c6:c3:25:2a# 
    d0:4d:c6:c3:25:2a# conf t
    We now support CLI commit model, please type "commit apply" for configuration to take effect.
    d0:4d:c6:c3:25:2a (config) # ssh disable-ciphers 
    aes-cbc     
    aes-ctr     

d0:4d:c6:c3:25:2a (config) # ssh disable-ciphers aes-cbc
    d0:4d:c6:c3:25:2a (config) # end
    d0:4d:c6:c3:25:2a# commit apply
    committing configuration...
    configuration committed.
    d0:4d:c6:c3:25:2a# show ssh

SSH Ciphers Settings:
    Ciphers       :aes128-ctr,aes192-ctr,aes256-ctr
    d0:4d:c6:c3:25:2a# 

• 5.  RE: AP-505 Subject to SSH-Terrapin Vulnerability?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 11 days ago

I just confirmed with the official Terrapin Attack vulnerability scanner that disabling aes-cbc ciphers as described in my earlier response resolves the issue.

• 6.  RE: AP-505 Subject to SSH-Terrapin Vulnerability?

Posted 11 days ago

You were correct. I stop reading at 'c', apparently! The CBC ciphers have been disabled, and I'll take you word below that they'll pass the check!

• 7.  RE: AP-505 Subject to SSH-Terrapin Vulnerability?

Posted 11 days ago

Terrapin vulnerability should be resolved with latest ArubaOS-CX versions for switches. Unfortunately no info regarding APs and GWs.

Best, Gorazd

------------------------------
    Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Guru 2024
    ------------------------------

• 8.  RE: AP-505 Subject to SSH-Terrapin Vulnerability?

Posted 11 days ago

The one I'm working with has the latest 8.11 version. I try not to jump to new releases like 8.12.0 right away!

• 9.  RE: AP-505 Subject to SSH-Terrapin Vulnerability?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 11 days ago

Hi Troy,

Just so that you're aware, 8.11 is no longer receiving patches. At some point, you'll want to upgrade.

• 10.  RE: AP-505 Subject to SSH-Terrapin Vulnerability?

Posted 11 days ago

I will, though I usually wait until at least one or two patches have been applied, especially to a new release version. Thanks for the heads up!