Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-515 crash? and need restarting once per week

This thread has been viewed 34 times
  • 1.  AP-515 crash? and need restarting once per week

Posted Aug 01, 2022 06:37 AM
    Hello Community,

Dunno how to start troubleshooting this so any help would be great.

Have two AP515 running 8.6.0.14_81691

Normal private WIFI config for LAN Clients. 

Approximately once per week the connectivity stops to the AP. Not sure if it's both APs or just the one (VC). All clients connections effected.

Central isn't reporting anything significant. AI Insights reports some DHCP problems but it's non critical and seems unrelated.

This setup has been working fine for months and nothing has changed with the primary SSID config.

If I was to guess to the problem I would be thinking the underlying issue is our core switch HP 5406zl which is very old. Ever since installing these APs I've had random issues.

Not much to go on so appreciate if you cannot help.

Thanks,
    Leo.

• 2.  RE: AP-515 crash? and need restarting once per week

Posted Aug 02, 2022 02:51 AM

Hi Leo,

as you mention "old 5406zl" - I do assume those are just providing PoE (and not PoE+) power.

do you have IPM enabled on the IAP-515 ?

if not - pls. enable this, it might help.

if yes - you need to provide more infos...

Groetjes

Jochem

• 3.  RE: AP-515 crash? and need restarting once per week

Posted Aug 02, 2022 07:17 AM
      |   view attached
    Hello Jochem,

Thank you very much for your help!

I have enabled IPM Activation. It was not enabled. 

Would you recommend adding the parameters too? 

https://help.central.arubanetworks.com/2.5.3/documentation/online_help/content/access-points/cfg/ap-settings/conf_intel_pwr_mon.htm

The old 5406zl was a bit of a nightmare. Took about 6 months to complete that work. I had to upgrade the PSUs to provides PoE+, Switch firmware upgrade and months in the CLI trying to figure the correct PoE config, AF verses AT blah blah. Even now it feels like a dark art getting the correct power negotiation. However, if i connect the APs into a modern CISCO bingo it's all happy with AT power. Thus my instinct points to a 'incompatible' switch but what do I know.

• 4.  RE: AP-515 crash? and need restarting once per week

Posted Aug 02, 2022 08:25 AM

typically if you don't need the USB-port and 2nd ethernet-port - those can be switched off without any issue and that might be sufficient already.

regarding PoE(+) configuration on those older switches there does exist a good guide: https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/c03597282

note: I cannot promis that just enabling IPM will fix your issue, but power-problems can cause strange behaviour.....

• 5.  RE: AP-515 crash? and need restarting once per week

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 02, 2022 04:00 AM
    Leo,

Please check the role that your users are in when they get in that situation of no-connectivity. DHCP problems may be causing this, if they lead to the client losing it's IP. Do all clients on the AP experience the same at the same time? Or is it just one or few clients? It is always the same client, or different clients? Is it always the same client type, or different client types (like HP Windows laptop, Samsung Galaxy S21, Apple iPhone 14)? Does it happen on both of your APs? Or just on one of them? What is the authentication/security that you configured on your SSIDs? Do you see the same across all SSIDs? Or just a single one?

Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to go to the latest 8.6.0.18 version for your APs. It may help if issues are as vague as they are now.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 6.  RE: AP-515 crash? and need restarting once per week

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 02, 2022 08:25 PM
    It is good to upgrade to the latest maintenance version of 8.6.x which is 8.6.0.18

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 7.  RE: AP-515 crash? and need restarting once per week

Posted Aug 09, 2022 05:06 AM
    Thanks All.

I will update the AP firmware as suggested. 

When issues arise it seems to affect only one AP(VC) but I haven't look into the detail e.g IP loss, DHCP etc.

My own experience is when I move SSIDs (Legacy system) to new (Aruba AP) I get issues and need to restart. This may be isolated to my computer. Still waiting for equipment to be shipped before I can fully remove the old WIFI system....

I'll post again if I get any useful information. For now thank you all for helping.

• 8.  RE: AP-515 crash? and need restarting once per week

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 09, 2022 06:32 AM
    Not sure if it is what you are doing, but roaming (on the same SSID) between Aruba APs and other brand APs is likely to result in poor user experience, which may include in clients connected but not passing traffic.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 9.  RE: AP-515 crash? and need restarting once per week

Posted Aug 09, 2022 06:39 AM
    Sorry, should have clarified. The SSIDs and password are different between legacy and new system. Users need to manually change SSIDs depdnding what part of the office they are in! 

I've updated the firmware a moment ago. 

Will monitor and see what happens....