Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-518 + AP-ANT-313 and extension cable.

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  AP-518 + AP-ANT-313 and extension cable.

Posted 21 days ago

Hello everyone.

I`m interested in AP-518 + AP-ANT-313 but I would like to install the antenna about 10 mts away from the AP. I`m not able to find in Aruba website the correct RF cable. Neither if it is possible to extend this distance the antenna from the AP.

Does anyone has info about possible attenuation in RF cable and if I could use a generic RF cable?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: AP-518 + AP-ANT-313 and extension cable.
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 21 days ago

I think using LMR-195 cable you could lose about 30 dB/100 ft, so for 10 meters it will be about 10dB or so.  You can go with LMR-400 or better to reduce the cable loss.

Also add 0.5dB loss per connector

There are many online  tools available to calculate cable losses. Here is one of them 

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: AP-518 + AP-ANT-313 and extension cable.

Posted 21 days ago

Many thanks ariyap. Really helpfull.

• 4.  RE: AP-518 + AP-ANT-313 and extension cable.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 20 days ago

I would avoid antenna cables in general and long antenna cables as much as possible. The coax antenna cables are quite fragile, and you would even need 6 of them with the AP-ANT-313. Especially for the receiving by the AP, attenuation you can't really compensate for. Mounting cost may go up as well. Using an AP-575 may be a better solution, but you didn't share the deployment scenario and why you got to the AP-518+ (6 times) ANT-313.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: AP-518 + AP-ANT-313 and extension cable.

Posted 20 days ago

Hi Herman, thanks for you post.

the scenario where we are working is an historical protected monument, and visual impact is critical. It is totally forbiden modify original structure, walls, etc due to his historical and cultural value. So AP-575 is not an option.

The plan is placing the AP-518 in a IP68 box underground and 4 AP-ANT-313 in the streetlights hidden by a thin box in the same colour and shape of the streetlight (even the streetlight is made according to historic strcuture). It is assumable the the loss of signal quality to protect the place.

• 6.  RE: AP-518 + AP-ANT-313 and extension cable.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 20 days ago

In that case, have a look at the AP-565, which is much smaller. Even smaller than the 6x ANT-313, which may be challenging to get enough spacial separation.

I can't find photos at the moment, but know there have been projects to hide access points in historic environments outdoor with an add-on that blended with the design of a lamp post. Also have seen APs hidden in 'mushrooms' or 'rocks' on the floor, similar to music speakers in some amusement parks, which is far from ideal for coverage.

You may reach out to your local Aruba team and see if they know a partner that has done such projects in the past. It's probably better than reinventing the wheel.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.