Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-635 Client DHCP issues

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  AP-635 Client DHCP issues

Posted 9 days ago

Hi 

I have a few 635 APs on my test bench and I seem to be having trouble getting DHCP working properly.

I do not have a gateway set up yet, so right now these APs are in bridged mode to local vlan (40).

I'm connecting these APs to a Cisco PoE Switch and I have the following port configs:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
     description ArubaAP1
     switchport trunk allowed vlan 40
     switchport mode trunk

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2
     description ArubaAP2
     switchport trunk allowed vlan 40
     switchport mode trunk

Ok the issue that I'm having is somewhat odd:

• If I have that port config  above, my wireless clients are able to get DHCP IP from the local vlan (40), and able to get to internet no issues. The problem though with this is the APs themselves lose access to Aruba Central. Both APs will show as "not connected" and I cannot ping the DHCP IP for both APs. Pretty much, APs lose network, Clients get network.
    • If I add "switchport trunk native vlan40", the APs goes "online", I can ping them fine. The problem now is with the wireless clients. I see that they can authenticate with the SSID (using PSK), but they cannot get DHCP IP. Pretty much, APs get network, Clients lose network.

There might be an issue with my Cisco switch port config, but I cannot figure out what it could be. Anyone here using Cisco switches with their Aruba APs? How do you configure your ports?

I've rebooted the APs and also the Cisco switch on my test bench.

Thank you for any suggestions.

CV

• 2.  RE: AP-635 Client DHCP issues
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 9 days ago

What is the native VLAN on those ports?  Have you configured a native/management VLAN on the AP?

Usual practice is that the AP will be managed on one VLAN, which is usually set as the native VLAN on the switchport, while users will be placed in a separate VLAN that is tagged on the switchport.

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: AP-635 Client DHCP issues

Posted 9 days ago

I've done this and it works!

Thanks for the help!

Vlan10 for AP mgmt, and Vlan40 for wireless clients.

Here's my Cisco switch port config:

!
    interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
     switchport trunk native vlan 10
     switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,40
     switchport mode trunk

Cheers