Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-635 Mesh point downlink troubles

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  AP-635 Mesh point downlink troubles

Posted Mar 09, 2024 01:19 AM

I've wasted a good two days trying to get this working...

I presently have an AP-635 (#1) acting as a mesh portal to an IAP-305 (mesh point) providing a downlink to a remote switch. This has been working reliably for some time.

I am now attempting to add an additional AP-635 (#2) as a second mesh point downlink:

Is this possible? Can a Mesh Portal provide access to two Mesh Points? I cannot get the second AP-635 to connect as a Mesh Point.

UPDATE:

I just noticed the Mesh Name is different (Dashboard -> Mesh Devices) for AP-635 #2! Why is it not using the same mesh SSID as the other two APs? 

Wired Network config:

AP-635 #2 config:

Commentary:

This same configuration is working fine with the IAP-305. The only difference is the IAP-305 has only one interface (ETH0).

As to the AP-635, I've tried both ETH0/ETH1 Downlink/Uplink and Uplink/Downlink. In either configuration, I can connect the Uplink interface via cable to my network and the AP-635 happily joins as a Mesh Portal (as expected). However, if I connect to the Downlink (only) to a remote PoE+ switch, the AP-635 blinks the power LED forever and never joins as a Mesh Point. I'm at a loss.

I have also tried ETH0/ETH1 as Downlink/Downlink. In that case, I get nothing and end up doing a factory reset to regain access to the AP.

I note "mesh auto eth0 bridging" here is "no", but of course I'm connected to the Uplink (ETH1) in order to run this command:

*********************************************************************************************************
     3/8/2024 22:05:19 PM    Target: AP-635-US-2    Command: show swarm state 
    *********************************************************************************************************

AP Swarm State           :swarm_config_sync_complete
    mesh auto eth0 bridging  :no
    Config in flash       :no
    factory SSID in flash :no
    extended-ssid configured :no
    extended-ssid active     :no
    advanced-zone configured :no
    Factory default status   :no
    Source of system time    :NTP server
    Config load cnt       :1
    VC Channel index      :3
    IDS Client Gateway Detect :yes
    Config Init success cnt for heartbeat   :0
    Config Init success cnt for register    :1
    Config Init skipping cnt for heartbeat  :0
    Config Init skipping cnt for register   :0
    Config Init last success reason   :heartbeat
    Config Init last success time     :2024-03-07 16:36:39
    Radio down state         :0x0 / 0x0 / 0x0
    Thermal Protect state    :None
    6GHz disabled in MFG     :FALSE
    6GHz AFC required        :FALSE
    6GHz FILS status         :disabled
    6GHz FILS auto selection :enabled

All devices are running Instant v.8.12.0.0. Any assistance is appreciated! Thanks!

• 2.  RE: AP-635 Mesh point downlink troubles

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 09, 2024 09:35 PM

I think since InstantOS 8.9, we could have more than one mesh cluster for IAP swarm and manually configure mesh clusters and assign it to specific IAPs

See if this technote Wireless Mesh with Instant 8.9 helps

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: AP-635 Mesh point downlink troubles

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 10, 2024 12:57 PM

If all of the IAPs are part of the same cluster then the default behavior is to use the automatically provisioned mesh SSID.  If you've configured this as standalone then the default requirement is to configure the Clusterless mesh name and key the same on all participating mesh APs.

The other option is as Ariya stated, configuring a mesh profile where you manually set the mesh name and key.  The portal will always operate as a mesh portal for the mesh profile configured as priority 1.

Also, the mesh point should have both Ethernet ports configured as downlink for proper operation.  E0 as downlink forces the mesh point operation rather than auto detecting, E1 as downlink prevents potential issues from accidentally creating a loop.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110