Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP-635 unable to connect to controller

This thread has been viewed 35 times
  • 1.  AP-635 unable to connect to controller

Posted 13 days ago

I'm in the process of replacing my AP-315s with AP-635s. We have over 4200 APs installed. They are a mix of 315, 515 and 635s. When I replace some of the 315s with a 635 it takes hours before the AP establishes and IPSec tunnel. The AP dhcps fine and the controller can ping the AP. It doesn't happen all the time. We just replaced 7 APs in a building and 3 came up perfectly. The other 4 took about 4 hours. We have 6 7280s in a cluster running 8.10.0.9. I tried deleting the new whitelist and recreating it. Also, the old APs whitelist entry has been deleted and cleared the ap database information..

• 2.  RE: AP-635 unable to connect to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 13 days ago

What discovery method have you configured to point the APs at the controller?  The AP-635 shouldn't take any longer than the AP-515 to contact the controller and perform the initial connection process.

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 3.  RE: AP-635 unable to connect to controller

Posted 13 days ago

We're using the ADP method. I agree it shouldn't take any longer. My confusion is it doesn't happen to all the time. Only about 20 percent of the APs have this problem. Like my first post.. I replaced 7 APs, 3 came up quickly like they should, 1 came up 2 hours later and 3 I'm still waiting for them to come up and it's been over 4 hours. They are all on the same network, replaced AP 315s that were working perfectly and the controller can ping all 7 of them

• 4.  RE: AP-635 unable to connect to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 13 days ago

ADP as in the APs are L2 adjacent to the controller?

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 5.  RE: AP-635 unable to connect to controller

Posted 13 days ago
    Plenty of licenses available? 

• 6.  RE: AP-635 unable to connect to controller

Posted 13 days ago

Yes, plenty of licenses..  We have 4500 and using 4264

• 7.  RE: AP-635 unable to connect to controller

Posted 13 days ago

I'm sorry, we are using DNS instead of ADP..

• 8.  RE: AP-635 unable to connect to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 13 days ago

You've added aruba-conductor in addition to or in place of the old aruba-master host entry?

I would also recommend looking at and potentially moving to DHCP options for discovery.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 9.  RE: AP-635 unable to connect to controller

Posted 13 days ago

addition to..

Why would your recommend using the DHCP option?

• 10.  RE: AP-635 unable to connect to controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 13 days ago

I've had better success with DHCP and prefer the granularity available since the options can be changed as needed on a per-scope basis.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 11.  RE: AP-635 unable to connect to controller

Posted 13 days ago
    When you say "Same network", does that mean that all APs are on the same subnet?

• 12.  RE: AP-635 unable to connect to controller

Posted 12 days ago

Yes,  when I say same network I mean the 7 APs are on the same subnet and on the same switch..

• 13.  RE: AP-635 unable to connect to controller

Posted 13 days ago
    You already tried to lift the AP-635 in a VC-alone way and then turn it controlled.

• 14.  RE: AP-635 unable to connect to controller

Posted 12 days ago

Just like i knew it was going to happen... the other 3 APs come up around 5 hours after the were installed. I'm stumped to why there's this delay

• 15.  RE: AP-635 unable to connect to controller

Posted 12 days ago
    When you connect the APs you place all the vlans in the port or only the vlan is mgmt also, can you try configure on switch only the vlan mgmt and try the provisioning.

Or try factory-reset the AP,

Can you see flags on MC?

• 16.  RE: AP-635 unable to connect to controller

Posted 12 days ago

All the vlans are on the port. It's the same port the 315 was using. I usually just delete the 315s whitelists entry and create a new one for the 635.