Higher Education

View Only
last person joined: 21 days ago 

Got questions on how to enable mobility in education? Submit them here!
Expand all | Collapse all

AP boot question

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  AP boot question

Posted Nov 14, 2022 10:51 AM
    I'm just curious why when I watch an AP boot via the console port some of them end in a # prompt and other end in a password prompt?​

• 2.  RE: AP boot question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2022 11:38 AM
    The ones that end in an # prompt are controller-based and do not have a console password and console protection configured in the AP system profile.  The ones that ask for a password do not have console protection.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: AP boot question

Posted Nov 14, 2022 01:44 PM
    Can an AP change the controller-based protection?  I had an AP working properly on a controller based configuration stop working. When I brought it back to my office I booted it up and to showed the enter password prompt..

--
    Jon Hutchinson
    8B Packer Ave  rm 185
    Lehigh University
    (610)758-5099

• 4.  RE: AP boot question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2022 01:53 PM
    If you factory reset it, yes.  Are you currently troubleshooting the AP?  Accessing the console is usually not needed.  The information printed on the console, like the ip address and the master ip address are typically more important.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: AP boot question

Posted Nov 14, 2022 02:24 PM
    I'm trying to troubleshoot why an AP that was working properly for a while now showed down on the controller. Replaced it with a new AP. When I brought the old AP down to my desk and plugged it into my desktop switch and watched it boot from the console cable it booted up to the password prompt. When I factory reset it and it booted up it's back to the # prompt.. I don't know why it changed when it was working in the field..

--
    Jon Hutchinson
    8B Packer Ave  rm 185
    Lehigh University
    (610)758-5099

• 6.  RE: AP boot question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2022 02:59 PM
    Unless you save the console log from before the factory reset, we might never know what was wrong.

Do you have the console  log from after the factory reset?

• 7.  RE: AP boot question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 14, 2022 11:41 AM
    Campus APs (that connect to a controller) end their boot with a # prompt (if no console password is set) or password prompt if you configured a console password on the AP system profile on the AP group.

Instant or AOS10 APs will boot to a login prompt.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.