Internet of Things (IoT) and Industrial IoT (IIoT)

View Only
last person joined: 16 days ago 

Forum to discuss the HPE Aruba Networking Edge Service Platform and all associated products and solutions for any type of IoT or IIoT application. Included are IoT technology partners (eg. EnOcean, Microsoft, and Zebra) and IIOT technology partners (eg. ABB and Siemens)
Expand all | Collapse all

AP cannot detect its own internal beacon?

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  AP cannot detect its own internal beacon?

Posted May 02, 2023 06:18 PM

Hi.
    I am working with 505 and 515 APs. Internal radio is configured for beaconing and scanning.  Beacons are configured with the same UUID and major but unique minors. Beaconing interval is 1000ms.   Beaconing is working fine as I can detect the beacons using a different ibeacon scanning apps.
    I have a Transport configured to send BLE telemetry to a websocket endpoint. That too works well as I am getting BLE telemetry from all APs.
    However, I noticed that the telemetry from each AP never includes its own internal radio BLE advertisement data. It has data of the internal beacon of nearby APs plus any other ibeacon devices in the UUID filter as expected, but not its own.
    I further confirmed this by checking the BLE table on each AP using the CLI (#show ap debug ble-table ap-name <ap-name> ibeacon). On each AP, it contains data of nearby beacons including other APs, but not of its own internal beacon.
    Is this expected behavior and is there some way to change it so that each AP can also report on its own internal beacon?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: AP cannot detect its own internal beacon?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 05, 2023 06:08 AM

I would say that is expected. The BLE Radio is either transmitting or receiving, so when it transmits it will not receive at the same time. Also it would not make sense to report what is being transmitted as the beacon is always there, you know it's transmitting and for location you can't do anything with it.

Why would you want to see the beacon for the AP itself?

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: AP cannot detect its own internal beacon?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 05, 2023 10:18 AM

This is works as designed, beaconing and scanning are dedicated functions in the IoT/BLE radio. There is currently now way to change that.

• 4.  RE: AP cannot detect its own internal beacon?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 08, 2023 03:14 PM

Since ArubaOS/Aruba Instant 8.11 your are able to get the configured iBeacon configuration of an AP IoT radio using the ApHealthUpdate messages via the IoT websocket connection. We extended the AP status messages with more detailed information about the radio configuration including the iBeacon advertisement settings. 
    ApHealthUpdate messages are send every 120 s for every AP. 

• 5.  RE: AP cannot detect its own internal beacon?

Posted May 09, 2023 08:47 AM

Thank you Herman and Jens for the responses. 
    Herman, I wanted to see the beacon of the AP itself for a dataflow health check, not to track location. 
    Jens, thank you for sharing the ApHealthUpdate message changes in ArubaOS 8.11. I am currently testing with 8.9 in a lab. Production will be upgraded from 8.6 to 8.10 since it is a LSR.

Unrelated (and I even hate to mention it here), where can I get help to update my community profile - specifically my display name?  I can't find an email address for community portal support.