Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP features running on lower poe power

This thread has been viewed 46 times
  • 1.  AP features running on lower poe power

Posted Jan 27, 2023 03:47 PM
    Hi.  Ive got an ap555 running on a 8.6.018 controller cluster.  Its powered using 802.3at (no 802.3bt) poe and I have IPM enabled without any options configured.  Anyone know what gets disabled or what im missing out in this configuration?  I tried to find out with documentation and a support ticket. Its not clear and Im not getting simple answer.

For some background:

• the ap555 was running in restricted power mode with the 2r flag
    • IPM was enabled without any options and the r flag went away
    • im not looking to get 802.3bt enabled at the moment with combining power from both interfaces or a power injector

• 2.  RE: AP features running on lower poe power

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 27, 2023 05:11 PM
    By default IPM will not apply any restrictions. Only if and when the actual power consumption of the AP reaches the POE budget (25.5W when on 802.3at), IPM will apply restrictions. Which restrictions get applied and in which order is configurable (details should be in user docs).
    When IPM applies any restrictions, the flag will re-appear, and the system LED will be amber.
    Depending on how the AP is configured, used and loaded, IPM may never have to apply any restrictions.

• 3.  RE: AP features running on lower poe power

Posted Jan 29, 2023 03:00 PM
    Ok.  So if I keep my current IPM confg as is I dont have to worry about anything then.  All the aps in my environment (mix of 215, 315,515,545) have a light load and dont do anything special.   Im on 8.6.x and Ill be forced to go to 8.10 or 8.11 later this year.  Will anything change power demand wise with those versions?

• 4.  RE: AP features running on lower poe power

Posted Jan 30, 2023 08:44 AM
    I tried some 518's and some 515's. When I used them on a POE+ Aruba 2530, they  could only get 13w and they didn't turn on the 5ghz Radio, which made them pretty much useless because I only use 5Ghz on these AP's. Since the 13w POE was only an issue in my testing environment and I could easily switch to another switch I did not investigate further. It was surprising to me, because I would have thought from the specs the 2530 POE+ model can provide 25w. A Netally network tester also confirmed that the switch only provides 13w, even though only one device was connected.

So make sure the AP is provided with 25w POE and you'l be fine.

------------------------------
    Jelmer Hartman
    ------------------------------

• 5.  RE: AP features running on lower poe power

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2023 01:52 PM
    You my need to enable LLDP to properly negotiate class 4 POE power (25.5W). For some reason your AP concluded that the POE source is limited to class 3.

• 6.  RE: AP features running on lower poe power

Posted Jan 30, 2023 02:43 PM
    @JH37​ Yep I had the ap(s) configured to use POE+ (802.3at) on cisco switches and got 30w class 4 with lldp on.  This was before I enabled IPM and even with lldp on with the proper power being given (30w) certain aps were still showing up with the 2r flag.  The 2r flag went away when I enabled IPM.

@onno yes, lldp was enabled when I was seeing 2r.

• 7.  RE: AP features running on lower poe power

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2023 04:57 PM
    The ones with the 2R flag while on class 4 POE power must have been the AP-518s? That's expected; those may need (marginally) more than 25.5W (worst-case). You can accept the restriction (second ethernet port disabled) or indeed enable IPM. The AP-515s should not show any restrictions on class 4.

• 8.  RE: AP features running on lower poe power

Posted Jan 30, 2023 06:05 PM
    @onno No, the aps that had the 2r flag was my (1x)  ap555 and (4x) ap345.  All my other aps were fine and had the 2 flag.​

• 9.  RE: AP features running on lower poe power

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2023 08:39 PM
    Ah ok, that also makes sense. It's just that your original post only mentioned AP-515s and AP-518s..