Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP303 - loosing devices

This thread has been viewed 106 times
  • 1.  AP303 - loosing devices

Posted Jun 05, 2023 04:37 AM

Hi all,

i have an issue on two sites. i have some Windows CE bar code scanners connected using WPA-PSK.

I can ping them but i have many loss (20-30 %) and the the program used on these devices disconnect often (it is using telnet)

What is weird is that I just replace an old Cisco SMB WLC520 that is 10 years old. All was working perfectly, i did not chnage anything BUT the AP, placed at the same place.

People does not roam, they remain quite at the same place, under the AP

AP are up to date.

Any idea please ?

Thanks a lot

• 2.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jun 05, 2023 08:50 AM

Could be a whole host of reasons and would be difficult to troubleshoot via a forum. My first thinking that if this was a like-for-like replacement and the AP positioning has not changed, is your RF configuration still valid? Such as power levels and so on.

• 3.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2023 09:47 AM

Could you give more insights like:
    cotrollerless or controllerbased

Software verion in operation

What type of Clients are this (manufacture / type)

How is the 303 installed (horizonta / vertical)?

on which height?

agree with @Craig Syme those kind of issues are difficult to solve via forum. But let´s give it a try

• 4.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

Posted Jun 05, 2023 10:51 AM

Hi and many thanks to both of you for this help,

This is controlerless installation, version is 8.11.1.0_86591 SSR

Devices are Zebra MT2090

They are install vertically, about 3-4 meters height

But it shouldn't be a range problem as they are very near from AP

About RF configuration, this is hard to say if something important changed, i used the default config but i t dedicated the SSID only on 2.4 Ghz). I just try with or without "client match" enabled

Now something really weird : as i was thinking of a timeout problem, from a machine on the network i pinged (using ping tracer program) all 4 devices. As stated above i have about 20-30% loss.

Then change from ping every seconds to ping 6 times per second and now i have a loss of 0.3 %, this is like i have to spam the wifi network to get a good connection.

I asked my customer if this is better now with these ping and will tell you, this should give a clue

Thanks again !

• 5.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 05, 2023 11:23 AM

as said vertically is not optimzied.

Would be interesting to push config here to see if there are some config pitfalls in.

Did you know that Zebra and Aruba has a joint TAC?
    DIRECT SUPPORT ESCALATION Best-in-class products should have best-in-class support. To ensure that deployed systems continue working at their best, Aruba and Zebra have put in place an engineer-to-engineer escalation program that provide immediate access to the best technical resources to help address issues. Customers and resellers get answers – not finger-pointing – and faster problem resolution.

Source: https://www.arubanetworks.com/partners/technology-partners/partner-finder/partner/?q=/assets/pso/PSO_Zebra.pdf&atp=zebra

On suggestion - you should run a Long Supported Release instead a Short Supported Release as 8.11 is. I woul recommend the usage of the latest 8.10.x which is 8.10.0.6 as of today. 8.11.x brings the usage of AP-615 in and as far as I understand that is not in your environment. 8.10.0.6 is more stable than the 8.11.1.0 Release.

• 6.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

Posted Jun 05, 2023 11:41 AM

Many thanks for all these detailed info !

Sorry but english is not my native language and i'd like to have some precisions please

What do you means by "Did you know that Zebra and Aruba has a joint TAC?" : does it mean that they have a set of best pratices or that they have isues between them ? But How can i contact them about that ? Aruba support told me that without a "foundation care support", they won't help me

As per you advice, i'll downgrade AP to 8.10 LTS version

Really many thanks for that

• 7.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

Posted Jun 06, 2023 02:38 AM
      |   view attached

Sorry, i totally forgot to put my conf here as you asked, here it is attached :)

Also from my previous post i can add that pinging a lot like i now do (6 times per seconds) has improved ping delay a lot and under GUI i can also see that the speed reported is also better in Mbps.

Really weird for me. I'm still awaiting customer update to see if they still have issue

Attachment(s)

txt
    conf ap303.txt   3 KB 1 version

• 8.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2023 03:19 AM

Hi thanks for posting.

Clients are only those Zebra Barcode Scanners? If so and no "modern" Clients I would suggest to disable 

• 80 MHz Support
    • wide-bands 5GHz

from arm Profile

best Practise, especially for Barcode Scanner is to enable 802.11d / 802.11h on RF Profile for do11g and dot11a Radio

As already mention I would suggest the usage of OS Version 8.10.0.6

• 9.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

Posted Jun 06, 2023 03:33 AM

Hi and thanks for these advices

Yes there are others devices : wifi label printer and laptops that are modern devices.

About 802.11d, in fact we disabled "regulatory domaine verification" on the Zebra devices :)

I'll plan downgrade to version 8.10.0.6 also

To keep everyone updated :

One important thing : now that i ping each Zebra device 6 times per second, the customer tells me that all is fine, it is now confirmed. As said, from my side i can see that ping delay are far better, quite no loss and connexion speed better, so weird.

• 10.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

Posted Jun 08, 2023 05:14 AM

Hi,

i'm planning the version downgrade with my customer, i hope this is not a problem to put a lower version...

About my post above, does it give some clues ? Now all is working well but i have to ping many tmes per second to keep "something" awake

Thanks

• 11.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2023 05:44 AM

Before downgrading you could test another thing.

For me that sounds like there is an issue regarding those "quite" Clients.

Try to configure temporal-diversity and max-retries on that specific SSID

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_811_WebHelp/Content/instant-ug/wlan-ssid-conf/conf-wlan-sett.htm

See at the bottom of the page. This setting is often used for old Clients and for Clients which are not that chatty in WiFi.

• 12.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

Posted Jun 08, 2023 07:35 AM

Hi,

this solution smell really good and related to my issue.

I'm sorry but i just see your post and then i already send the downgrade (not that much important i guess)

I'll then configure what you said and tell you.

Really thanks for that !

• 13.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

Posted Jun 09, 2023 07:49 AM

Hi all,

here are some (bad) news...

With downgrade and temporal diversity setting, this is not better.

Yesterday i openned a ticket at Zebra and i have a bad reply, i'll try to translate most important part of it :

"MT2090 are under Windows CE5 and this operating system do not supports  recent wifi systems. That is why it was ok on old Cisco AP"

Do you think i can believe what the engineer said ? Is that possible ?

Thanks and have a nice week-end

• 14.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 09, 2023 08:08 AM

I cannot believe that. Can you open an Aruba TAC Case please.

• 15.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

Posted Jun 09, 2023 09:13 AM

I hope you're right :

I already tried to open a TAC case, but i was told i needed a "Foundation care" to be helped. This is something i do not have, i thought that buying the AP will give me at least access to TAC for some time...

• 16.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 12, 2023 04:07 AM

Sorry to say..Yes for TAC assistance you have to have a valid support contract. Without you only have limited lifetime warranty - see details here - https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/product-warranties/

If you don´t have a support contract this forum is where you get help.

• 17.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

Posted Jun 13, 2023 06:03 AM

I'll know it for later... Thanks

But for the time being, any more idea ?

• 18.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2023 02:23 AM

Let´s see..

can you give outputs of (best would be to put that all in a text file and upload it to the thread)

show clients debug

show ap debug auth-trace-buf

show ap virtual-beacon-report

show log system 50

show log user 50

• 19.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 14, 2023 03:38 AM

Also, did you disable

• 80 MHz Support
    • wide-bands 5GHz

from arm Profile?

whci Software Version are you using now?

• 20.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

Posted Jun 19, 2023 05:15 AM
      |   view attached

Hi,

Really sorry i totally missed you replies !

Attached are all the "show" you asked me.

The device IP we are talking about are 192.168.0.111/112/189 (all connected to 2.4 GHz)

No, i did  not disabled both lines you asked me as it was written "if no modern devices are used". Indeed some computers are connected on 2.4 and 5 GHz. But i can do it if it is not a problem for devices that are connected, i do not mind if they are less optimized, more important are the bar code scanner

My version is :

B02-Etage-e9:aa# sh ver
    Aruba Operating System Software.
    ArubaOS (MODEL: 303), Version 8.10.0.6 LSR
    (c) Copyright 2023 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development LP.
    Compiled on 2023-02-14 at 18:20:47 PST (build 86193) by jenkins
    FIPS Mode :disabled

AP uptime is 1 week 3 days 21 hours 43 minutes 13 seconds
    Reboot Time and Cause: AP rebooted Thu Jun 8 13:31:37 CEST 2023; System cmd at uptime 8D 16H 53M 54S: Image Upgrade Successful

Be aware that i'm still pinging all devices 5 times per second and it works all the day, all "show" were done while "spam ping" is active, if you needd also without please tell me

Many thanks !

Attachment(s)

txt
    show.txt   55 KB 1 version

• 21.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2023 06:32 AM

Thanks for the output.

From what I can see are those scanner connected to the optimal AP with good connection status:

00:23:68:d3:49:76  Normal    1          0          No     dc:b7:ac:ee:9a:a0 (Local 1)  16    2m:17s
                                                       No     dc:b7:ac:ee:a9:20            16    2m:39s
                                                       No     dc:b7:ac:ee:95:e0            41    2m:21s
                                                       No     dc:b7:ac:ee:72:60            32    1m:49s
                                                       No     dc:b7:ac:ee:84:20            22    20s
                                                       Yes    dc:b7:ac:ee:70:40            44    26s <- he connected to the best AP (the list shows all APs which are "hearing" this Client)

00:23:68:f9:01:5d  Normal    2          0          No     dc:b7:ac:ee:9a:a0 (Local 1)  14    2m:17s
                                                       No     dc:b7:ac:ee:72:60            27    1m:49s
                                                       No     dc:b7:ac:ee:95:e0            27    2m:21s
                                                       No     dc:b7:ac:ee:84:20            16    20s
                                                       Yes    dc:b7:ac:ee:70:40            59    26s <- same here

Changing 80MHz Support or Wide-Bands on 5GHz will have impact to the clients which are connected on those channels whic will be taken out of the operating spectrum. But it will have no impact for the Scanners which you have issues with, since they are connected to 2.4GHz.

show ap debug auth-trace-buf - there are no authentication issues seen and from the logs it all seems very good.

what we can do is trying to set the 2.4GHz SSID to Legacy Mode, means disableing 802.11n/ac.

This can be done by disabling this on the WLAN SSID Profile - https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/CLI-Bank/Content/instant/wlan-ssid-prof.htm

high-efficiency-disable

very-high-throughput-disable

high-throughput-disable

Reference - https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_810_WebHelp/Content/instant-ug/wlan-ssid-conf/hew.htm

another try after this above could be to disable MU-MIMO, but that will be the next try.

• 22.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

Posted Jun 20, 2023 09:30 AM

Hi,

this sounds good, i'll then find a moment with my customer to change 80 Mhz and wide-band and then go to legacy mode. I'll keep you update.

• 23.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

Posted Jun 26, 2023 03:40 AM

Hi,

just to tell you i did not forget you, but my customer did ! 

I'm trying to kniw when he will be able to do changes and tests

I'll keep you updated for sure.

• 24.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

Posted Jun 29, 2023 02:59 AM
      |   view attached

Hi, here are some (bad) news.

I did the changes to the conf (please see attached file, we did many changes since the beginning) did the "commit apply" but this is not better.

Still same behaviour : when we ping at least 5-6 times per seconds each device the customer tells me all is ok it work fluently with no disconnect.

Without these ping the program on the device is disconnecting often

Really weird, any more ideas ?

Thanks a lot

Cedric

Attachment(s)

txt
    conf ap303 modif.txt   3 KB 1 version

• 25.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

Posted Jul 03, 2023 04:32 AM

Hi there,

any more idea about this issue ?

Is my conf now ok ?

thanks

Cédric

• 26.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

Posted Jul 11, 2023 02:38 AM

Hi,

i guess thta there is no more thing to try ?

I'll leave my ping "forever" to keep all alive.

Maybe i'll rollback some changes as they do not solve the issue

If someone has some more ideas, do not hesitate :)

• 27.  RE: AP303 - loosing devices

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2023 12:19 PM

one thing to test could be disabling  UAPSD - Power Save Mode

wmm-uapsd-disable in the SSID Profile
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/CLI-Bank/Content/instant/wlan-ssid-prof.htm

Could you please paste an tech-support file, with one Zebra Device which is loosing Connection and no permanent ping is happening to catch the error.