Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP304 antenna optimization and transmit range

This thread has been viewed 37 times
  • 1.  AP304 antenna optimization and transmit range

Posted Jan 18, 2023 11:22 AM
    Hi all,

We have a  warehouse, it's 18-20 meters floor to ceiling. We have AP304 on the ceiling, 3 rows of APs, 2 rows the antennas are facing down and in the middle one they are bent at 90 degrees and all facing in one direction.
    The direction of the antennas of the middle row seems wrong to me, but can not find any documentation to support. I will do some testing, but I would appreciate some information on the matter. 
    What is the range of AP304? 

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: AP304 antenna optimization and transmit range

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 18, 2023 02:41 PM
    A picture would help to better understand your deployment. What antennas are you using?
    What are the channels and transmit power levels used?

• 3.  RE: AP304 antenna optimization and transmit range

Posted Jan 18, 2023 05:14 PM
    Hi Onno,
    Thanks for replying. 
    This is the antennas, directly fixed to the AP
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP-ANT-20.pdf

I can't get a picture as they are to high. The AP is mounted on the ceiling horizontally and all 3 antennas are bent like in the picture, in the same direction, like the shape of E. 
    Any idea what the range of the AP is, horizontal and vertical mounting ?

Thanks

• 4.  RE: AP304 antenna optimization and transmit range

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 18, 2023 07:32 PM
    That antenna (AP-ANT-20, dipole omni) is typically used with APs that are mounted at a couple of meters height max and attached either to a wall or ceiling. They're intended to all be oriented vertically.
    Regardless of the orientation of the antennas, this seems a pretty poor choice when the APs are deployed at 18-20m.
    What is the spacing between the rows of APs, and what's the spacing between APs in the rows?
    And the antennas are facing down (vertical) in two of the rows, and horizontal in the middle one?
    What's the signal strength you're seeing at the warehouse floor? Are you experiencing issues?
    Range of an AP is hard to answer, since it depends on many factors, like channel and power config, physical and RF environment, number and type of client devices used, performance criteria, etc.

• 5.  RE: AP304 antenna optimization and transmit range

Posted Jan 19, 2023 07:47 AM

Hi Onno,

Thank you very much for replying. 

Pardon my confusion, but I think it's
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/ds/DS_AP-ANT-1.pdf

Both antennas look alike, I see a difference and I am trying to confirm it now.

I started for the company last September, the Wi-Fi was done by a 3rd party years back, and there are a lot of issues since the very beginning. I am trying to improve it, so I am checking every angle.

Going back to the antennas, if mine are AP-ANT-1 and the APs are fixed on the ceiling, is there are document saying that they should be vertically down or bent?  From the diagram of the Elevation and Azimuth planes I assume it's best if they are vertically orientated, also I assume that the orientation of the wide part of the antenna makes a difference too.

I need an Aruba document to support what I am saying in from of management. 

As for channels and power - on most of the APs this was fixed and the ones that were using ARM all channels were allowed.

The fixed ones were on channel 36 to 64 only, I have introduced channel 100 to 140 (excluded 120,124 &128) and reduced ARM channels to the above. There is an improvement, but still got work to do.

Thanks again,

David

• 6.  RE: AP304 antenna optimization and transmit range

Posted Jan 19, 2023 08:01 AM
    Hi, the 2 antennas you mentioned are Omnidirectional antennas not meant for that kind of height. Those antennas are normally installed with the tip pointing down (vertically).  For that kind of heigth, directional antennas are a better choice.

With Omni antennas, if you increase the power you will be flattening the "donut" coverage going horizontally, parallel to the ceiling, instead of "sending" the signal down to the flloor.

I hope this helps.

• 7.  RE: AP304 antenna optimization and transmit range

Posted Jan 19, 2023 08:19 AM
    Hi Ulises,

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I know something is not right, but need to prove it with Aruba documentation, so if you have any to support that the antennas aren't meant for that height please post me a link.

The system was designed and installed by a 3rd party that supposed to know what they are doing, so I cannot say to management it's wrong without supported documentation.

Thanks,
    David

• 8.  RE: AP304 antenna optimization and transmit range

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 19, 2023 02:59 PM

Hey David, I think what is needed here is a specific look at what you are trying to do, and I can potentially draw up some predictive examples of what you have no compared to what you're looking or trying to do. But we do not build collateral around specific architectures for warehouse deployments, we have some Atmosphere powerpoint decks that we maintain as our 'best practices' for typical warehouse deployments going in net-new, and while they can be used as an example of what we feel are our 'best practices' are not always the 'ONLY way' to do things, as such, there are always examples where a previous design or deployment went in that doesn't conform to our designs, but works fine, or may not, at which point it becomes a more -bespoke' design session unqiue to your environment.

I will email you at your user name with another of our TMEs who handles warehousing and we can take this offline to see what we can help provide, guidance and/or some example heatmaps using some RF planning tools. 

As others have mentioned, the ANT-1s are NOT a good antenna for ceiling heights that tall, the fact of the matter is for those dipoles when mounted/oriented vertically are sending more RF out and way and not down, leading to very poor ground coverage, poor AP to AP cellularization, etc. Turning the antennas to be 'horizonal', aka rolling the donut parallel to the aisle, could be a decent mitigation in your specific case, though it dependson the aisle arrangement and AP locations, but in general that would be a 'workaround' for your situation that may improve, not a design target/intention we would ever use (though I know of two cases I suggested deploying horizontal omnis perpendicular to the aisle but in both cases that was for mobile racks on rails). 

So look for an email from my and we can take it off line, and then once we think we have a good way forward, you can come back here and close the loop on this thread. 

• 9.  RE: AP304 antenna optimization and transmit range

Posted Jan 20, 2023 04:54 AM

Hi all,

Thanks very much for replying, much appreciated

JHoward I will reply to you email shortly, thanks for that.

I found the old order, but it doesn't say the antenna model.
    To summarize it's IAP304 with either AP-ANT-20 or  AP-ANT-1 (more likely this one) fixed at 20 meters height.
    I am trying to build a case, so I need hard evidence, also it will be good for others to know to, so if you have any documents that state that antennas AP-ANT-1 and AP-ANT-20  or Aruba diopole antenna   should not be used at this height.

Thanks,

David