Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

AP655 5G Radio turn off

This thread has been viewed 73 times
  • 1.  AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 28 days ago

Hello,

I have 3 655 APs setup using instant and have encountered 2 times the 5G radio turned off by itself (LED solid orange) on 2 different APs.

I only got to know it when the users start complaining unable to connect to the wireless network (unable to see the SSID).

Logining into the GUI does not give me any notifications of the problem, it is only when I  physically check the AP that I notice the orange LED.

Restarting the AP solved the issue.

So anyone knows how do I check what caused the problem in the first place and why the GUI does not show that there is a problem?

And is there any way to enable notifications maybe by emails of this kind of issues?

• 2.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 28 days ago

What version of software?  If this is powered by PoE, is this 802.3at or 802.3bt?  Is IPM enabled?

I would recommend you open a case with TAC.

Emails directly from the IAP aren't an option.

------------------------------
    Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 3.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 27 days ago

this is when IPM is disabled. 

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 4.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 27 days ago

Hello Carson/Ariyap,

thanks for replying, 

Build Time2024-03-03 18:36:58 UTC (build 89362) by jenkins
    Version8.12.0.0 SSR
    I have each APs connected to 2 POE Class 4 ports, but they draw less than 20W, 17 to 19W each.
    ipm is enabled in the config.
    The APs were working without issues with 2.4 (Guess) and 5+6Ghz (Employee) ssids enabled. It was running well for 6 months before this, so far only happened 2 times.
    I would think there would be some way to send a notification email of any errors/faults, or the Instant GUI should indicate an issue.

• 5.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 27 days ago

if it happens again, see if you can get the output of "show tech-support" before you reboot it.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 6.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 27 days ago

Sure will try to remember to do that. BTW do you know of any way to send a notification email if the AP gets into any errors/faults

• 7.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 27 days ago

is this managed with Aruba Central?

• 8.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 27 days ago

No we are using instant only

• 9.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 27 days ago

Email notifications would be a function of a monitoring service like AirWave or Central.  If the IAP is actually in an error state, then yes, something should be showing in the GUI or discoverable through the CLI.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 10.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 26 days ago

Hello Carson,

I don't see anything in the GUI indicating an error, only the 5Ghz led is solid orange on the AP. So far no issues till now after the reboot, hope it does not happen again.

• 11.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 26 days ago

this is from AP-655 installation guide, solid amber is that radio is in monitor mode.

• 12.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 26 days ago

Hello,

I check and Background spectrum monitoring is enabled for all my radio profiles.

Maybe it hangs when doing monitoring? Should I turn it off?

• 13.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 26 days ago
      |   view attached

So it happened again, I did a dump of the logs attached. Disable Background spectrum monitoring on 5Ghz radio and reboot the AP.

Lets see what happens.

Attachment(s)

txt
    dump.txt   4.44 MB 1 version

• 14.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 26 days ago

I'll have a look when i get a chance but it is better to reach out to our TAC for resolution.

• 15.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 25 days ago

it looks like the 5GHz radio on that AP is set to ap-monitor mode.

see fi you can change that by going to the configuration-> access points -> then select that AP

• 16.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 25 days ago

Thanks for taking time to look at the logs.

the configuration-> access points -> radios is already set as access. 

configuration->RF->Radios, Background spectrum monitoring was turned on, now I have turned it off to see if it was an issue.

• 17.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 25 days ago

You're going to be much better off setting 5 GHz to only an 80 MHz channel at most.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 18.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 25 days ago

Because you are running 160 MHz channels on the 5 GHz, there are only two options and both include DFS channels.  You're getting radar hits and the radio has to stop operations.  Move to 80 MHz or even 40 MHz for 5 GHz.

show ap arm history

Interface :wifi0
    Phy-Type  :5GHz
    ARM History
    -----------
    Time of Change       Old Channel  New Channel  Old Power  New Power  Reason  Result
    --------------       -----------  -----------  ---------  ---------  ------  ------
    2024-04-03 14:34:45  116S         0            24         0          OFF(R)  Overridden
    2024-04-03 14:34:41  36S          116S         24         24         R       Configured
    2024-04-03 11:46:40  36S          36S          27         24         P-      Configured
    2024-04-03 11:46:39  116S         36S          27         27         R       Configured
    show ap debug radio-stats 0

RADIO Stats
    -----------
    Parameter                        Value
    ---------                        -----
    Tx Power Changes                 5
    Channel Changes                  11
    Radar Detections                 6

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 19.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 25 days ago

good catch Carson.

I would have thought radar detection would have been flagged in "sh log wireless" (perhaps that would be on VC)

• 20.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 25 days ago

Hello Carson,

thanks for looking at the logs, so this setting is at Config->RF->ARM->Access Point Control->160MHz support change to NONE?

• 21.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 25 days ago

yes set that to none

• 22.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 25 days ago

ok let me monitor if problem resolved

• 23.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 25 days ago

That or remove the two 160 MHz channels from the allowed list.  If you disable 160 MHz in the ARM settings then the 6 GHz will also go to 80 MHz...which might also be a good thing but at least 6 GHz isn't going to suffer from DFS channel restrictions.

arm
     wide-bands all
     80mhz-support
     160mhz-support auto
     a-channels 36,40,44,48,52,56,60,64,100,104,108,112,116,120,124,128,132,136,140,149,153,157,161,165,36+,44+,52+,60+,100+,108+,116+,124+,132+,149+,157+,36E,52E,100E,116E,149E,36S,100S
     g-channels 3,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,7+,8+,9+
     min-tx-power 9
     max-tx-power 127
     band-steering-mode prefer-higher-band
     air-time-fairness-mode fair-access
     channel-quality-aware-arm-disable
     client-aware
     scanning
     client-match
     client-match slb-mode 3

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 24.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 25 days ago

Hello Carson,

I am not technical, so which are the 160 MHz channels?

And what is DFS channel?

• 25.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 25 days ago

The two 160MHz channels are 36S and 100S

Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS), a mandate for radio systems operating in the 5 GHz band to identify and avoid interference with radar systems. So When an 802.11 radio detects radar, it vacates its channel and switches to another channel but should wait for period of 10min (I think) of inactivity

• 26.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 25 days ago

ok I better disable 36S and 100S then as we are next to marine industries so I guess radar is often used.

• 27.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 25 days ago

DFS channels Wiki

WLAN channels 

In short, DFS channels are channels that are shared amongst many different usages, radars, military, wifi,... and there are standardized procedures that equipment must follow when a collision occur.

160 MHz channel means, that you join 8 20MHz channels into one channel for better performance. Available spectrum has a limited number of channels. Depend on your needs you need to balance the performance (wider channels) against number of users, radio interferences,... Wider channels mean less users, higher chance of interference, higher throughput (in good conditions).

Best, Gorazd 

Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Guru 2024

• 28.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 25 days ago

Hi.

Background spectrum monitoring is not indicated with orange led. Led will be green.

Led will be alternating green orange if you use ap as spectrum monitor am_mode.

Only if you use spectrum_mode (full spectrum monitoring) then led goes solid orange.

But this also depend on AP model so as usual check documentation for particular AP model.

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Guru 2024

• 29.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 25 days ago

Hello Gorazd,

my GUI on instant looks different than what you have. Anyway I have turn off Background spectrum monitoring as part of the troubleshooting.

So far so good.

• 30.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 25 days ago

Hi.

Yes, my original pictures are from Mobility Conductor. On Instant it is the same meaning but different picture

Only Spectrum Monitor will lit LEDs orange. Detected Radar signal will put radio temporary into full spectrum mode hence you will see solid orange LED.

Best, Gorazd 

Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Guru 2024

• 31.  RE: AP655 5G Radio turn off

Posted 24 days ago

My AP LED was solid orange for very long, 30 minutes at least, until I restarted it. I guess too much radar signal