Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

APs disconnecting clients and not accepting new connections

This thread has been viewed 70 times
  • 1.  APs disconnecting clients and not accepting new connections

Posted Jun 06, 2023 01:58 PM

Good morning All,

We have an IAP cluster with 15 AP-535s and 1 AP-555. From time to time, I've noticed that an AP would stop accepting clients and after some time disconnect all currently connected devices. At this point, the AP remains online but does not allow new devices to connect, even when standing in close proximity to it. This issue is temporarily resolved by rebooting the AP, but it does not provide a permanent solution. I have observed this issue randomly affecting different APs during the last few months. 

I would greatly appreciate your assistance with this matter. 

• 2.  RE: APs disconnecting clients and not accepting new connections

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2023 06:36 PM

what firmware are you running on the IAPs? also do you have any mgmt software that would capture the syslogs?

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: APs disconnecting clients and not accepting new connections

Posted Jun 07, 2023 01:53 PM

The APs current firmware version is 8.11.0.0_85179 SSR (Scorpio). I am not aware that we are using any mgmt software other than the Virtual controller itself. 

• 4.  RE: APs disconnecting clients and not accepting new connections

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 07, 2023 06:47 PM

the latest maintenance release for 8.11 is 8.11.1.0, so perhaps you can use that.

Also note that scorpio is for AP-535s and you said you have 1x AP-555, is AP-555 part of the cluster? 

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 5.  RE: APs disconnecting clients and not accepting new connections

Posted Jun 07, 2023 07:46 PM

The firmware update is a good advice, I'll look into that. And Yes I have 1 AP555 part of the same cluster, do they not also use the Scorpio firmware version? I went to the ASP website and that is the version I am showing for AP555s as well.

• 6.  RE: APs disconnecting clients and not accepting new connections

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 07, 2023 08:13 PM

yes you are right AP-555 also uses Scorpio. Lastly if you dont have Aruba Central, see if you can get a SYSLOG server setup,  so that the APs at least can send their SYSLOG info/notification to it and you can later go through it. 

• 7.  RE: APs disconnecting clients and not accepting new connections

Posted Jun 08, 2023 01:11 PM

I am actually planning on moving our APs to Aruba Central this weekend. My understanding is that I will have way more troubleshooting and logging tools available. 

• 8.  RE: APs disconnecting clients and not accepting new connections

Posted Jun 28, 2023 11:45 AM

After moving all the access points to Aruba Central, I am still encountering the same problem. @ariyapcould you please let me know where I should go to check the logs you mentioned, so that I can better troubleshoot this issue? Thank you.

• 9.  RE: APs disconnecting clients and not accepting new connections

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 28, 2023 07:05 PM

first i suggest to upgrade your instant APs to 8.11.1.1 and if the issue still remains then start troublshooting

• 10.  RE: APs disconnecting clients and not accepting new connections

Posted Jul 25, 2023 12:24 PM

Good morning @ariyap I apologize for responding to your message until now, it's been a busy month. However, I haven't been able to find a permanent solution for this issue. Rebooting the AP seems to correct the issue temporarily, but within the last month I've seen the issue happening at least once per week, affecting random APs in our cluster. 

I know you mentioned I should run a firmware update. However, according to Aruba Central the cluster is up to date:

I do show available the version below if I check in the set firmware compliance section:

Should I update to this version? 

Also, I have checked the Alerts and Events section, but I haven't been able to find anything really specific that can lead me to the cause of the issue. Alerts mostly show me configuration changes. So, I would assume the Events section might be my best bet, although I haven't had a lot of success in this section either. 

Is there any log command that you know of I can use that could be useful for this particular case?

Thanks in advance for all of your help. 

• 11.  RE: APs disconnecting clients and not accepting new connections

Posted Nov 13, 2023 08:48 AM

We have also encountered the same problem on other models of AP, AP 1xx 2xx.3xx. The firmware has also been upgraded.
    Randomness, chance, wireless network connections will prompt (access denied) and can only be used by restarting.
    Due to this reason, my customer has already returned the product.
    I have also consulted with Aruba engineers and have not received a specific response. They said they had never seen a similar case.
    I hope your problem can be resolved and shared with me. Thank you very much.

eddy zhou

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.