Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 16 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

AP's not visible in MM Infrastructure View

This thread has been viewed 29 times
  • 1.  AP's not visible in MM Infrastructure View

Posted May 30, 2023 05:13 PM

I'm experiencing a strange issue where the access points attached to an MD in the network are not showing up as Access Devices or Radios on the Mobility Master Dashboard / Infrastructure view.  From the MM view there are no, AP's, no clients, no radios, etc.  However the MD itself looks normal.  From the MM I am able to re-provision the AP's to different groups, so the MM "knows" about the AP's, it just doesn't show them associated to the MD they're terminated on.  MM / MD code level is 8.10.0.6.  Any thoughts?  I've re-provisioned the AP's and rebooted the MD, to no avail.  This problem arose over the weekend...the AP's were displaying in the MM Infrastructure view normally last week.

• 2.  RE: AP's not visible in MM Infrastructure View

MVP
    Posted Jun 01, 2023 08:19 PM

Hi dterrian, 

Did you recently reload your conductor or upgrade it by chance? We're having a similar problem with only a couple MDs/APs and i found that under the "mgmt-servers" the conductor is no longer listed. I see in the effective configuration details that this config is pushed at the /md level and is present in the effective config on the MD itself, but is not present when logged in & issuing the "show mgmt-servers" command. I only show AirWave. This is only happening to 3 of my 38 managed devices, all running the same firmware. I tried upgrading to 8.10.0.6 but had to revert due to a bug with RAP connectivity, which is when I noticed the discrepancies. 

I've actually just reloaded one of the MDs missing the mgmt-server and after it came back up it still was not present. 

I ran the command "mgmt-server primary-server <conductor ip> profile default-controller transport udp" and after writing that, the APs and clients instantly populated into the conductor dashboard. I suppose that's not the recommended way to do it, but it does work. I don't see any problem with it unless you change the conductor's IP.

Give it a try if you're in a pinch, seems to work for me. 

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Michael Haring

• 3.  RE: AP's not visible in MM Infrastructure View

Posted Jun 01, 2023 10:48 PM

Michael,

We haven't recently reloaded the conductor, not since it was upgraded from 8.6.0.9 to 8.10.0.6 about 3 months ago.  This particular MD is a test MD used to validate the transformed 6x configurations and perform client testing prior to production network 8x migration.  It was initially deployed at 8.10.0.6 (matching the conductor) and the AP's / radios / stats reported normally at the conductor dashboard.  The customer then asked to downgrade the test network to 8.6.0.20, as that was what they had planned to use on the production MD's due to concerns about bricking the model 325 AP's when moving from 6.5 to 8.10.  It was after this downgrade that the conductor dashboard went south.  If I boot back to the 8.10 partition, it comes back.  The customer has 100+ MD's running various 8.6 code versions off 8.10 conductors and none of them present this issue.  Of course none of them were downgraded from 8.10 that I know of.  In any event, I ran "show mgmt-servers" and sure enough the conductor IP is missing, where it's present in the rest of the MD's I've checked.  I'm sure that your suggestion to manually add it back in will resolve the issue, but I have TAC session scheduled tomorrow and I'd like to hear what they have to say before I go fixing things for them :-)

I'll keep you posted.

-Dave

• 4.  RE: AP's not visible in MM Infrastructure View

MVP
    Posted Jun 02, 2023 10:45 AM

Let us know what TAC says, I'm curious. I'm actually upgrading my conductor to 8.10.0.6 in a couple days, along with 1 of the MDs that is missing that entry. The other MDs are not being upgraded at this time, so if they have a workaround, that would be great. 

Michael Haring

• 5.  RE: AP's not visible in MM Infrastructure View

Posted Jun 09, 2023 12:28 PM

So I finally was able to coordinate a session with TAC and the long and short of it is that you can't downgrade from 8.10 to 8.6 on an MD if you have an 8.10 conductor.  8.10 to 8.8 is fine, but not 8.10 to 8.6.  Something to do with a change to Amon in 8.8?  (language barriers can be hard).  I asked about manually re-adding the conductor as mgmt-server but was told that's not recommended...the recommended course of action if I must run the MD on 8.6 is to factory reset the MD, delete it's config on the conductor and rebuild. I think since this is a temporary test environment, I'll just re-add the mgmt-server and continue on my merry way.

• 6.  RE: AP's not visible in MM Infrastructure View

MVP
    Posted Jun 09, 2023 12:38 PM
    Thanks for following up! I upgraded our VMC and MDs that were having the issue to 8.10.0.6 and it also fixed the problem. Weird thing is that it only happened to a few and we have 20+ still on 8.6 so must be somewhat random under those circumstances.

---
    Michael Haring